Notices

Apexi AVC-R or Greddy Profec B-II

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apexi AVC-R or Greddy Profec B-II

hey guys, i was hoping you guys could shine some light on which boost controller would be better for me. I was originally going to go with the profec b spec 2 with the greddy switch, so i could be on low boost 1st and 2nd gear, and hit the switch for high boost.

My buddy recently got the Apex-i AVC-R and that thing is a beauty. It has boost by gear, which is what i was aiming at, and all kinds of other ****. I've read that the profec b2 has a tendency to spike?

out of the two, which is the better boost controller? thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Apexi AVC-R or Greddy Profec B-II (Destructive-)

what ems?
the profec b spec 2 is junk.

if you have the s300 you'd be dumb to not use it for boost control.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Apexi AVC-R or Greddy Profec B-II (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what ems?
the profec b spec 2 is junk.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ONly for those who don't know how to properly use it. Why go to the laptop everytime you need to change settings (or PDA, or whatever interface.)

Want 14psi? LO setting. Wanna go for 20psi, without being complicated? Hit the HI setting. One button... NO muss. No fuss.I

I've been running the Profec b and Profec B spec II for over 10 years. Never an issue. Just make sure it is set up properly.

AVC-Rs are nice, but difficult to get all of the features to work the way they are supposed to, and their "fuzzy" logic is not on point.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Apexi AVC-R or Greddy Profec B-II (TheShodan)

i am basing the fact that i am o for 3 on profec b II's
thats all.
but yes you make a good point sir

im asking about the ems, because if it is there, why not use it.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a profec b II for a little while. It never worked right. I spent 2 weeks dealing with Greddy USA trying to get the thing to work correctly, all connections were right, etc....and it never worked. It was junk. All other people I've met that tried it came up with the same issues.

why do you think it's no longer sold new, they went back to the original profec B design and renamed it the Profec type-S. Proven design.

Functionality and features: AVC-R or profec E-01...........for basic reliable boost control, profec type S.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chimmike)

im on Hondata s200 so i cant use it as a boost controller.

so the b2 is garbage?

shodan - does the b2 have a tendency to spike?

i want a boost controller that wont give me problems the first time around, i'd hate to buy one and have nothing but problems, having to sell it less than what i bought it for, and buying another one.

any more opinions?

Modified by Destructive- at 11:30 AM 9/1/2008
Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

profec type-S. Rock-solid reliability.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:33 PM

Default Re: (chimmike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chimmike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">profec type-S. Rock-solid reliability.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Though I never had the issues you describe in the 25 or so Spec II units I sold with my other shop, I AM glad that they went back to the basics and brought the TypeS back. You know what they say, "the more you overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain!"..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
im asking about the ems, because if it is there, why not use it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe I'm just old school. For many people it honestly just isn't necessary, when your foot, your other equipment, and your noodle can do the same thing without any "tuning". For others, it simply isn't practical. In many TIMED events that people can run on the circuit, using boost control via the computer doesn't allow the user to act quickly enough, say in a road race situation. I'm sure many wouldn't want to say.. "Wait a second, the back straight is coming up.. let me turn my (name your EMS here) so I can change to the other boost setting." Or "I'm in 2 and 4th gear in 5 different spots, but need less power, not this boost-by-gear ****."

Again, it depends upon preference or use, not "just because its there".

Modified by TheShodan at 6:08 PM 9/3/2008
Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a greddy profec b and that remote switching system button and it was great although 1st gear was still useless.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Re: (Destructive-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Destructive- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im on Hondata s200 so i can use it as a boost controller.

so the b2 is garbage?

shodan - does the b2 have a tendency to spike?

i want a boost controller that wont give me problems the first time around, i'd hate to buy one and have nothing but problems, having to sell it less than what i bought it for, and buying another one.

any more opinions? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Never spiked on me, but I also knew how to control the gain. If you go by the instructions and test, it will be fine. Its only when people change the gain and not the "set boost" option together that makes it seem as though there is a problem.

But if you want it even more simplified, get the Spec S
Old 09-01-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Re: (jdm_dc_fan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_dc_fan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had a greddy profec b and that remote switching system button and it was great although 1st gear was still useless. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a FWD car with a lot of power, what'd you expect? Use your foot to control that part.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

i see.

i can get the b2 for like 175 average if i look around enough. so it seems like a good deal, the avc-r doesnt go for less than like 250 on ebay.

i think im going to take my chances with the b2, and set it properly

thanks for the help Shodan
Old 09-01-2008, 06:04 PM

no problem
Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Apexi AVC-R or Greddy Profec B-II (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Want 14psi? LO setting. Wanna go for 20psi, without being complicated? Hit the HI setting. One button... NO muss. No fuss.I</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfortunately I don't have a high/low button with my EMS's EBC... I chose a switch instead.

I'm really surprised you aren't all excited about adopting ems-based EBC's. Honda people are known to be a progressive group. You're not entertaining the idea of going back to roots blowers and carbs now, are you?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Apexi AVC-R or Greddy Profec B-II (HiProfile)

I understand your point HiProfile. It's really more dependent upon the purpose of using an EMS based system, and not simply because it is there.

Many of the cars and systems we use at the circuit simply don't call for it because it displeases the driver. Many of these drivers tend to want COMPLETE control of the amount of boost used at any time because the conditions of the track that is used vary indefinately. They also try to "learn" the car as much as possible to get a better gauge of what settings need to be changed where. To attempt to change these setting through the laptop after each run on different tracks is very time consuming and tiring, especially when the driver himself/herself can make quick changes based on THEIR needs, and not just on a tune. We, therefore can focus more attention on other aspects like suspension damping, and brake changes, so that the driver can acheive a better time overall, and not just via a change in power. In many instances in circuit racing, the human brain is the best "computer" when it comes to making adjustments, and with the changes in tracks and conditions, going from one setting to another w/ a simple push of a button makes the world that much easier.

Now the Rally guys, on the other hand tend to deal more with the EMS based boosting systems (especially SCCA FWD and RWD class) because of obvious traction and terrain issues. They need to concentrate so much on their line of sight and their driving that ANY other distraction could be costly. Since main traction is their issue, and more power tends to lead to less traction, EMS based Boost control systems are a bit more accepted, so the driver can focus fully.

I find that in many instances, especially for the street driver, a good noodle on the shoulder and understanding their car the best they can, in many cases can outweigh the true need for such EMS controlled boost systems.

I'm not at all against them, really. but one has to look at the need of the use for these additional features, and not just to use it because it is there. I'm not at all archaic, I guess I sometimes like the "low tech" approach to a solution, but only when its warranted.

Again, its all in the purpose.. I only say, just because it CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.