Notices

is the apex turbo kit as safe as the greddy kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the apex turbo kit as safe as the greddy kit?

I've been doing a little research on the two and it seems like everyone is saying go for the apex kit for more power.... but the apex kit doesn't come with any fuel management stuff such as injectors or "the little blue box".... I know the greddy kit comes with all that stuff... so if i go with the apex kit then i'll have to pay for the price of the kit plus the price of the injectors, and all the fuel management stuff... so what do you guys think the way to go would be? TIA.....
Old 04-12-2003, 11:06 AM

Default Re: is the apex turbo kit as safe as the greddy kit? (92boostn'hatch)

it donsn't come with it but if you want them its an extra 150 i belive. Oh and by the way if your looking for power forget the greddy kit my freinds turbo'd d16 would give out around 6500 and would stop pulling. But if its not the sohc than i can't tell you what to do
Old 04-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say the Greddy kit is safe with the blue box because it runs rich and is a "universal" solution without any type of tuning required (or even possible I believe). The Greddy kit and the Apex'i kit come with basically everything needed to get your car boosted but the Greddy costs more right now, and the price difference can account for Greddy's inclusion of a fuel management setup. Do a search and you'll see some comparisons. The Apex'i kit spools faster because it comes with a ball bearing turbo. With either kit, if you're serious about making power you'll want to get bigger injectors and a standalone (Hondata, AEM EMS, etc.) The cheapest I've seen the Greddy is $1475 and the cheapest I've seen the Apex'i was $1299. For the $175 difference you can get yourself a SMC or UberChip and some DSM 450s (recommend cleaned and tested). You'll come out with the Apex'i kit w/ ball bearing faster spooling turbo and a better fuel management system than the blue box. (Greddy kit only comes with injectors for the newer Si models, from your username I'm guessing your going to use a 92-95 kit which doesn't include injectors.)

But like I said, do a seach - plenty of info already there.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is the apex turbo kit as safe as the greddy kit? (incogNitto)

thanks... we're looking for power of course but we also want the reliability.... and what ever is safer for the money.... i had a turbo on my b16 hatch and i think i ran it to lean and cracked 2 of my pistons... so that's why we want the "safer" and more "reliable" kit.... so i guess power is #2 for now and safe and reliable is #1.... TIA
Old 04-12-2003, 05:36 PM

I got a greddy kit on my sig going for 1449.99. Let me know if you want it.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is the apex turbo kit as safe as the greddy kit? (hatchii)

thanks but we won't have any money for about a month or two.... if you still have them by then, then i'll give you a holer.... thanks
Old 04-12-2003, 09:18 PM

safety isn't a matter of what kit you buy, its how well its tuned and how well your providing fuel to engine. also how you drive, and how you take care of your car. and how much boost your running without building. think about that first. turbo is not cheap, and if your going to do it, DO IT RIGHT the first time to avoid problems. hope that helps. OOH almost forgot, GET THE APEX'I KIT!!!! quality like you would not believe. i just got mine in the mail friday and i am extremely impressed. and i payed 1199 shipped
Old 04-12-2003, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is the apex turbo kit as safe as the greddy kit? (BoostedSOHC)

1199 shipped where at?
Old 04-13-2003, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What Up 92! The price is $1299 from Groupe S on Groupbuycenter.com. They raised the price. Here's my post on this kit with tons of questions.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=461064

I bought the kit and they shipped it immediately, It comes with the basic setup without FMU. It has a flange for the BOV so you will have to purchase on of those as well. I am using this kit on my wife's 98 Civic EX Coupe, so I need the car to run reliable. The blue box uses a lot of fuel for the Greddy kit so I would of purchased a hondata reqardless of what kit I purchased. This setup up is really expensive for a Turbo but hopefully it will be reliable and fast. Here's the setup I am going with.

Apexi Turbo (SOHC) $1299
Type 31 Intercooler $600
Type-S Blow Off Valve $125 (From A Friend)
Hondata (Can't Say)
440CC $250 (Best Buys Section)
OBD2to OBD1 Harness $125 (Best Buys Section)
P28 ECU $175 (Same Best Buys Section as Harness)
Greddy Turbo Timer $85 (Hopefully/ RPM)
Manual Boost Controller $40 ( Cheapturbos.com )
Apexi EGT/Boost $200 (Used From Classifieds)
Guage Pillar $45 (Anywhere)
Dyno Tunning (Semi- Local Shop)

I think that sums it up. Pretty expensive but hopefully I can run 6 psi safely on her car without any problems. I am not going to put the kit on until I have everything. So I am looking at another 2 weeks.
By the way did you ever sell your hatch ?
My brother bought the Del Sol.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is the apex turbo kit as safe as the greddy kit? (dabrown)

cool i already have almost half of that since her car is already obd1 and she has a p28.... thanks man...
Old 04-13-2003, 10:07 AM

I just bought a Greddy kit in Dec02 and its on, don't get me wrong, I'm happy with it, and I am totally addicted to boost, but if I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the APEX kit, because I bought RC 440s and a HONDATA upfront with the Greddy kit, so I didn't even need the blue box!!!! Then I had a customer Intercooler installed so .................... really I could have saved some money and gotten a ball bearing turbo at the same time. Do yourself the favor, get the APEX and some type of Fuel/timing management system, IE Hondata or AEM etc, and then have some fun boosting.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:39 AM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dabrown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What Up 92! The price is $1299 from Groupe S on Groupbuycenter.com. They raised the price. Here's my post on this kit with tons of questions.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=461064

I bought the kit and they shipped it immediately, It comes with the basic setup without FMU. It has a flange for the BOV so you will have to purchase on of those as well. I am using this kit on my wife's 98 Civic EX Coupe, so I need the car to run reliable. The blue box uses a lot of fuel for the Greddy kit so I would of purchased a hondata reqardless of what kit I purchased. This setup up is really expensive for a Turbo but hopefully it will be reliable and fast. Here's the setup I am going with.

Apexi Turbo (SOHC) $1299
Type 31 Intercooler $600
Type-S Blow Off Valve $125 (From A Friend)
Hondata (Can't Say)
440CC $250 (Best Buys Section)
OBD2to OBD1 Harness $125 (Best Buys Section)
P28 ECU $175 (Same Best Buys Section as Harness)
Greddy Turbo Timer $85 (Hopefully/ RPM)
Manual Boost Controller $40 ( Cheapturbos.com )
Apexi EGT/Boost $200 (Used From Classifieds)
Guage Pillar $45 (Anywhere)
Dyno Tunning (Semi- Local Shop)

I think that sums it up. Pretty expensive but hopefully I can run 6 psi safely on her car without any problems. I am not going to put the kit on until I have everything. So I am looking at another 2 weeks.
By the way did you ever sell your hatch ?
My brother bought the Del Sol. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice setup why only 6psi? alot of that stuff is overkill for 6psi, i dont' see any reason why you couldn't run 8-10 safetly?
Old 04-13-2003, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is the apex turbo kit as safe as the greddy kit? (Mpir3)

Mpir3, You are 100% correct, about the 8-10 psi, it's just that my wife wants to keep a decent Mile Per Gallon on her car so I figured if she is not boosting any more than 6 psi she want eat up as much gas. If I am wrong please let me know so I can see if we can safely get 8 psi out of this setup. Thanks
Old 04-13-2003, 03:10 PM

I hear a lot of people talking about the greddy kit falling off in high rpm's. I don't understand why because I know mine doesn't. However, I'm not saying greddy is better. Especially since I'm going to be doing the VAFC hack this weekend to eliminate the blue box, I would much rather have a ball bearing turbo.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is the apex turbo kit as safe as the greddy kit? (boostsohfast)

i think the power in high rpms is lower because of the small turbo... my friend has a gst eclipse and he has no power like i had with my b16 turbo set up in the higher rpms.... my turbo was bigger then his...