Notices

Anyone using an oil accumulator in their street car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone using an oil accumulator in their street car?

I would really, really like to put in a wet sump oil system for my new build....but money simply isnt there for it. I am wondering if anyone is using an accumulator. Moroso has a pretty nice one.
For those who dont know, its a pressurized canister holding either 1.5 or 3 quarts quarts of oil. If there is a low oil pressure situation then it will release the oil into the system and hopefully save the engine. Also, it can be used to pre-oil the engine before starting it---which is what I am more interested in since the car will not be driven all the time and oil will seep out of area's where oil is most needed on cold startups....like main/rod bearing journals....turbo chra's.....and up at the cams/rockers in the head.
It will also help with the longevity of the motor.

So, anyone???

Modified by 93LSivic at 7:38 PM 2/25/2004
Old 02-25-2004, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone using an oil accumulator in their street car? (93LSivic)

It definitely is the poor man's wet sump.
Morosos are just re-badged Accusumps. Go to http://www.accusump.com. They have a 2qt. version too which is ideal for our engines.
I'm thinking of using one, they are a great idea and a piece of cake if you are running an oil cooler. The only thing it trying to fit them into the car and they aren't too cheap when you start adding in the fittings and electronic valves.

Ben
Old 02-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Accusump one is less expensive. http://www.accusump.com

There's also the option of a 2qt unit and a 3qt low and hi pressure unit. I'd look carefully at the lengths and your mounting options b/c those things are huge.

I've got the 2qt Accusump and remote filter/oil cooler kit parts together and ready to go in. I'll put it in soon.

Edit: Dammit. Ben beat me to it.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone using an oil accumulator in their street car? (IN VTEC)

I was thinking of mounting it in cabin (gotta check sanctioning body rules first) on my roll bar or somewhere of the like. I have an oil manifold Im currently using for my setup and it has 2 ports open still, one 1/2" and one 1/4" npt.
I will have to look into the accusump. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, just did some research. It seems that at idle the piston within the accumulator is too strong to keep any of the oil inside of it. So basically if you have a 2 qt capacity accumulator then at idle you will have stock oil capacity plus 2 quarts Not good for turbo motors cause of the oil return from the turbo itself----it'll definetly damage the turbo and also cause an oil burning problem.
Of course on a race car it may do the trick where the stop and go routine just isnt there.
I think its still a good idea to have either an electronic or manual release valve so that you can open it at higher rpms and then close it before coming back down to idle/low oil pressure conditions. Overall I beleve its still worth it as an oil prime for cold starting where most damage takes place to main/con bearings, turbo, cams, etc. Especially in cars that wont be started every day and oil seeps out of the galleys back to the pan.

Any other points of view on this?