Notices

Anyone turbo'd in Cali, help me out please.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone turbo'd in Cali, help me out please.

Okay, this is my first time posting in this section, but I've been working on a deal for a Greddy turbo kit. There were some questions I had, since the kit from his car is from a 98 ex, and my car is a 95 with a D15B VTEC, so I called Greddy to see if the kit would still be CARB legal if it were on my car. He asked if it was the new one with the e-manage, or the older one with the FMU, and I said e-manage.

Now comes the real bummer. He says, "The kits that came with the e-manage are not California street-legal. Only the old ones with the FMU are, and they are discontinued."

WTF??? I've built my car around remaining street legal, and modestly turbo'd, and now I figure out that the kit I've been saving for is not CARB legal, even if I got the one that was made specifically for my car?

If anyone has any information about this situation, I appreciate your input.

Oh, and by the way, I now officially hate California.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone turbo'd in Cali, help me out please. (BlackoutVTi)

Oh man, I feel for you. City-Speed assured me the kit was legal. It is NOT CARB approved. It WAS CARB approved, before it was rejected in 2003.
I had to pull the kit to smog it. Now the kit is just a few parts left in a custom setup.
CARB
Old 07-31-2007, 01:49 PM

smog it wit out the kit on it first then after smog put it on or just get an illegal one if u have to
Old 07-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone turbo'd in Cali, help me out please. (turbo or nothin)

Well, now the only reason I have to look into Greddy would be for the quality of their smaller turbos, and the cooperation between their parts for their kits. I just thought I'd devulge what I've found out, and due to the search function being down, I'm not sure if this is information that's already been released or not. It just seemed worth saying, since I was kept in the dark for so long.

BTW, I'm still probably going to go with the Greddy kit, but remain aware that I can only smog my car without the kit.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

being d15b vtec already made u illegal
Old 07-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone turbo'd in Cali, help me out please. (wHOAlly)

Not for long, I'm in the process of BAR'ing the D15B as a US spec D16z6 so I can smog it just like any other engine. That is one thing I can remain confident of.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can a) swap the turbo kit off for smog every 2 years, b) pay for some sort of smog hook up, or c) do that alternative fuels conversion that exempts you from smog.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone turbo'd in Cali, help me out please. (wHOAlly)

Nope.

As long as the missing sensor(s) and correct sensors are present, the motor is legal.

I smoged my D15B 3 times, no problems each time... just bad cat's.

Hell, the most recent time, I passes smog with a P08 ECU (no 02 heater circuit, no purge enabled, etc). Funny hugh?

A guy in town looked at my car, it had an open ECU with an ostrich, a wideband controller, with the o2 plug unplugged, and put me on for the test... When I asked him (I knew it passed the high speed test, but wasn't sure about the low speed) about the low speed, he admitted he was more interested in looking at the AFR guage then the smog machine =P The second time when I came back and passed, I showed him how CROME works, and a bunch of the cool features, and he put the dyno in test mode so I could do a few pulls

There was no CEL, and all sensors were present and hooked up correctly. There are fine lines to the rules, and certain people know them, and others are just idiots trained by the state. And it matters on how you aproach them.

Anyways, I think a smog tech that does nothing but smogs at his business, you could go to the DMV's website dmv.ca.gov and find the site that has the master list of carb EO numbers. Print out the page(s) and bring with you stating here is the EO number. He (if fair) would say ok... if not, try another place.

I didn't have a sticker for my pacesetters, but the paper got me through.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Anyone turbo'd in Cali, help me out please. (JaredKaragen)

just slap on a kit and when you have smog take it off or something.