Notices

Anyone try the small Spectre air filter on a turbo - worried about quality and flow

Old 03-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone try the small Spectre air filter on a turbo - worried about quality and flow

Question: Anyone try the small Spectre air filter on a turbo - worried about quality and flow.

Issue: minime manifold, tight spot to put a filter, want something better than just a screen.

Description:
Spectre 8162
Application: Universal
Specifications: 2" X 3", High-Flow Cotton Fiber Element
Details: High-Flow Cotton Fiber Element. Triple Chrome Plated Base & Top. 3" Universal Rubber Inlet Boot. Stainless Steel Clamp Included.
Comes with 10-Year/100,000 mile warranty!
WASHABLE. REUSABLE. OIL-ABLE.

Picture:
Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone try the small Spectre air filter on a turbo - worried about quality and flow (oranginal)

any filter is better than no filter at all. if that is the only kind that will fit, then that's what you have to go with.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone try the small Spectre air filter on a turbo - worried about quality and flow (spets)

Better not to run that type of filter as I’ve seen the top center section, separate and chew up the compressor fins.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone try the small Spectre air filter on a turbo - worried about quality and flow (abnaasefmb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by abnaasefmb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Better not to run that type of filter as I’ve seen the top center section, separate and chew up the compressor fins. </TD></TR></TABLE>
my friend experienced this with his new turbo.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone try the small Spectre air filter on a turbo - worried about quality and flow (rudebwoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rudebwoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
my friend experienced this with his new turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My friend experienced this with his d16 throttle body, phew!

Yea, Id be eerie of it.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone try the small Spectre air filter on a turbo - worried about quality and flow (oranginal)

If you're asking this about a part as cheap as a filter, then make life easier and just get a K&N or something proven

EDIT: Plus there are plenty of K&N sizes to choose from, so I'd be willing to bet they have one for your application.

Modified by Dunc at 12:39 PM 3/14/2008
Old 03-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone try the small Spectre air filter on a turbo - worried about quality and flow (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're asking this about a part as cheap as a filter, then make life easier and just get a K&N or something proven</TD></TR></TABLE>

GREEN Filter FTW
Old 03-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a cheapy autozone filter from APC, and made the numbers in my sig. I went with that as a temp filter because it was the only thing I could find locally. I actually went through 3 of them because they kept falling off I finally stopped worrying about cracking the compressor housing and just put a t-bolt on it.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone try the small Spectre air filter on a turbo - worried about quality and flow (nebulight)

That exact air filter lost a lot of power on someones car on the dyno. I believe it was a 60-1 and it lost about 35 whp with it on.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone try the small Spectre air filter on a turbo - worried about quality and flow (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're asking this about a part as cheap as a filter, then make life easier and just get a K&N or something proven

EDIT: Plus there are plenty of K&N sizes to choose from, so I'd be willing to bet they have one for your application.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Confirmed!