Notices

Anyone running an oil restrictor in their oil feed line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone running an oil restrictor in their oil feed line?

I was thinking about getting one to prolong the life of my turbo seals. I'm running an 4an feed line to my PT61 which is pretty big (I see most people running the 3an) so I think a restrictor could help out without swaping the line.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-26-2005, 11:05 AM
egizzle8

Default Re: Anyone running an oil restrictor in their oil feed line? (Bryson)

I think the majority of time people use restrictors to stop smoling from a turbo if the seals are going? If your turbo is fine then I don't see why you would want to limit oil from a healthy turbo.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone running an oil restrictor in their oil feed line? (egizzle8)

it'll spool better also according to corky bell! the shedding of excess oil on the turbos bearing is a major thing concerning spoolin the turbo, hondas oil pressure is the problem, hks makes the peice u need but theres alotta similar ways to fake it. basically get a gauge restrictor and drill it to maybe the size of the an3 inlet peice, will save ur seals also, im a lil fuzzy on the size to bore it too, but if u search u can find it, i have the info in my note book if u cant find it ok.
-Toby
Old 03-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone running an oil restrictor in their oil feed line? (trentepic)

this may be an alright idea on a water cooled centersection, but there is a reason for all of the oil flow on an oil cooled center section
Old 03-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone running an oil restrictor in their oil feed line? (b16hybridsol)

I am using that exact oil pressure restrictor from ATP...

I heard lots of stories of oil pressure killing the life of seals so I figured better safe than sorry... you can see it here in this pic....

There have been debates about whether or not they are needed... to me, it's a small cheap part that may save my turbo... might as well have one...
Old 03-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I plan to run one - I'm using a -4an feed too so I was going to use a 1/16" restrictor. I could see the necessity for a minimum volume of oil flow for cooling purposes though so I think I'll give Precision a call regarding this next week. I read on the FP website that a 1/8" restrictor gives ~2psi of pressure drop so maybe somewhere between the two would be ideal in terms of flow and pressure.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone running an oil restrictor in their oil feed line? (hpfsi)

i turned my oil pressure to the turbo down to about 5 psi at idle with a needle valve because the seals were blown and it ran fine...when you rev it it jumps up to 30 psi or so...the gage read 60+ psi before i turned it down...im pretty sure a turbo isnt going to get cooled by all that oil pressure because its juss gonna get stuck in the turbo anyways...im pretty sure the return line isnt spitting 60 psi of oil out...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:11 AM

bump for a definate answer... Im waiting on injectors to put my turbo in with a -4 line...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted96EK)

Ive always read to use the restrictor when using -4 feed. I beleive when using -3 it is not neccessary.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't run one with my -3an line, and my friend doesn't either with his -4an line. No problems with either. I'd do -3 from now on though.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Typically the restictor is only needed when running a dual steel-ball bearing CHRA due to the fact that bearings require a more delicate feed of oil. On ball-bearing turbos, the CHRA shafts are not as dependent on that "floating cushion of oil" as w/ journal bearing CHRAs, including the Big shafts. Since the Ball-bearing thrust bearing is the more dependent feature (that in addition to the coolant being run through the system) oil resictors are needed to keep Ball-bearing turbos at about 22psi of oil pressure. On Journal Bearing turbos, using a -3AN should be fine without any restriction. If you restrict the journal bearings on standard turbos, you could be facing eminent failure...

Hope this clears things up a little.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Re: (TheShodan)

out of curisioty where did u get that information from? so do u agree that with an an4 u need a restrictor, or no restriscotr except wid bb types? and does that info u gave apply specifically to hondas, as oposed to applying directly to turbos themselves, cuz i know alotta cars dont need the restrictor, but like hondas and bmws do or something like that.
-Toby

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Typically the restictor is only needed when running a dual steel-ball bearing CHRA due to the fact that bearings require a more delicate feed of oil. On ball-bearing turbos, the CHRA shafts are not as dependent on that "floating cushion of oil" as w/ journal bearing CHRAs, including the Big shafts. Since the Ball-bearing thrust bearing is the more dependent feature (that in addition to the coolant being run through the system) oil resictors are needed to keep Ball-bearing turbos at about 22psi of oil pressure. On Journal Bearing turbos, using a -3AN should be fine without any restriction. If you restrict the journal bearings on standard turbos, you could be facing eminent failure...

Hope this clears things up a little.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-28-2005, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (trentepic)

It's my understanding that no turbo should see more than 25psi of oil pressure max...

Some might be more sensitive to pressure but I don't think 75-80 psi of oil pressure is good for any turbo...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... If you restrict the journal bearings on standard turbos, you could be facing eminent failure...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you show me some examples/proof?

I've seen many examples of seals failing because of too much pressure but never because there was not enough...

I'm willing to learn though if you can give me some evidence of this statement.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

Yes just use -3 line and be done with it.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Typically the restictor is only needed when running a dual steel-ball bearing CHRA due to the fact that bearings require a more delicate feed of oil. On ball-bearing turbos, the CHRA shafts are not as dependent on that "floating cushion of oil" as w/ journal bearing CHRAs, including the Big shafts. Since the Ball-bearing thrust bearing is the more dependent feature (that in addition to the coolant being run through the system) oil resictors are needed to keep Ball-bearing turbos at about 22psi of oil pressure. On Journal Bearing turbos, using a -3AN should be fine without any restriction. If you restrict the journal bearings on standard turbos, you could be facing eminent failure...

Hope this clears things up a little.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Journal bearing = -3 no restrictor
Ball bearing = -3 w/ restrictor

If your running a -4 you should really swap it out w/ the -3, even w/ the restrictors i've seen problem's from the -4 feed's.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DIRep972)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Journal bearing = -3 no restrictor
Ball bearing = -3 w/ restrictor

If your running a -4 you should really swap it out w/ the -3, even w/ the restrictors i've seen problem's from the -4 feed's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What if I just drill out the restrictor to be whatever diameter the 3an line is? I don't really wanna pay for another feed line
Old 03-28-2005, 09:43 AM
something different

that restrictor would be fine.....its been used by LOTS of people, and it works for them.

i had the oil seals on my turbo(brand new REmanufactured t3, .42/.48, water cooled) blow out after just about 1000 miles using a -4 line. well, they werent terrible, but after stoping at a stop sign, a cloud of blue smoke would pass me up. it was still driveable.

i bought the Steathmode ballvalve adjustable oil restrictor and put it inline to my turbo (bought another -4 line, mounted restrictor valve on the firewall).. i put an oil pressure gauge between the restrictor and the turbo. with the restrictor wide open, the car was still smoking. oil pressure was above 60 psi (the max on the gauge) when reved, was about 40-50 psi idling (rough idle) the oil was warmed at the point, operating temp.

i turned the oil restrictor a bit, dropped the psi to 20 or so at idle, 35-40 reved.

NO MORE SMOKE. its been fine for a couple weeks. i couldnt be happier.

GO STEALTHMODE.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

Random, and sorry for jacking bryson, but how are the lines actually measured? How would i tell what size line i have?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

NO MORE SMOKE. its been fine for a couple weeks. i couldnt be happier.

GO STEALTHMODE. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hrmm...I'd be worried about that getting accidentally shut though. I don't really wanna blow a $700 turbo from a little ball valve.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adictionbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Random, and sorry for jacking bryson, but how are the lines actually measured? How would i tell what size line i have? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Show a pic, and i'm sure we could tell you. The An is basically just the size of the fittings, and diameter of the line.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Smarter than you

Default Re: (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What if I just drill out the restrictor to be whatever diameter the 3an line is? I don't really wanna pay for another feed line </TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not sure if that would work. You could try it and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill have to get one, cuz im having trouble finding the right size T fitting to hook up my oil pressure gauge
Old 03-28-2005, 10:06 AM
something different

the valve is really stiff, not gonna be accidentally shut easily.

i dont know about you, but i open my hood on my turbo car every time i drive, so it works for me.

just a suggestion buddy. good luck.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im not sure if that would work. You could try it and let us know how it goes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Fluid dynamics tells me it would work...
Old 03-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Smarter than you

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Fluid dynamics tells me it would work... </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, then why'd u ask the question if you already know the answer. I like what redzcstandard hatch did w/ the oil pressure guage you can not really get more dead on then that.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha, then why'd u ask the question if you already know the answer. I like what redzcstandard hatch did w/ the oil pressure guage you can not really get more dead on then that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Indeed. I might try the restrictor fitting, and move around my Autometer sending unit to see whats going on.

Quick Reply: Anyone running an oil restrictor in their oil feed line?