Notices

Anyone With Real world data? Intake Box Vs filter Vs Scree Blah Blah Blah

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone With Real world data? Intake Box Vs filter Vs Scree Blah Blah Blah

I don't post often, usually I read the Stickys, search/Find what I'm looking for and bounce. It did search this and. apologize I'm advance if I missed it (just post a link and I'll be on my way)

I'm looking for info from anyone with REAL WORLD working knowledge or back to back testing data for turbo inlet options.

Open Vs Screen/Direct Filter
Intake w/ Open filter (under hood, Fenderwell, ECT)
Intake w/ Filter in Box...

Differences in Inlet temps, spool times, turbo wear/ damage, HP/TQ Variances, tuning issues. Anything relevant to the question.

Photos of any "Custom" stuff you may have made used or tried appreciated.

_Thanks in Advance
Old 01-21-2018, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone With Real world data? Intake Box Vs filter Vs Scree Blah Blah Blah

Anyone got a line on the info I'm hunting for?
Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone With Real world data? Intake Box Vs filter Vs Scree Blah Blah Blah

I wish had the thread to direct you to, although I've seen the no filter vs filter discussion before between several members, one of which has a pretty well known shop in Ontario (Dynamotorsports). I believe the difference in hp was only around 10-15 max, if not less. Bottom line: run a filter

Furthermore, TheShodan recommends running an intake of some length off of the turbo, with a filter of course. Not only will it allow you to get better IATs, but increases responsiveness (so he says, but he's an industry turbo expert, so I'm taking his word for it). I don't think there's any need for a filter box, hope all of that helps.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Geis, I think I might just have to contact TheShodan directly on this one and/or do my own comprehensive tests and post the data in one spot for anyone wanting to see that direct comparison of all the options
Old 01-21-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

There's nothing really to compare. Using an Intake vs. Filter vs. Screen is more of a matter of safety for the turbocharger, not making power. The only differentiation between the three apparatuses is a matter of reaching target boost. With a true intake (meaning several inches of pipe with a bona-fide K&N, Real HKS, or AEM at the end) is that the ingested incoming air creates lower pressure turbulent conditions that helps with airflow conversion in the compressor wheel. This translates to a bit better "spool up" and behavior over using a screen or a filter directly attached to the compressor inlet.

The only differences I've seen with increased upper end power is using a velocity stack at the compressor inlet. But again, that helps with lowering turbulence on the incoming air into the compressor inlet. Even then, that was usually at higher boost pressures of 26psi and higher, on some models..

The compressor's ability to convert airflow into pressurized air (creating power) is going to be the same regardless of the outside condition of the filter. Now, lower ambient temperatures will definitely assist that ability immensely; but not with just an intake vs. filter vs. screen.

If you want the most out of your setup, do the wise thing and use a good intake with a neck and quality filter to help with turbocharger longevity.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank You Sir!
Old 01-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where would you place the filter end of an intake?
underhood, Fenderwell/ front bumper cover, ECT

Secondly, what do you think about in Inlet pipe to an airbox? Not worth the fab time or....??

​​​​​​​Thanks for answering my question's with such detail. Much appreciated.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy_Slim
Where would you place the filter end of an intake?
underhood, Fenderwell/ front bumper cover, ECT

Secondly, what do you think about in Inlet pipe to an airbox? Not worth the fab time or....??

​​​​​​​Thanks for answering my question's with such detail. Much appreciated.
Definitely worth the fab time. Doesn't take too much.

BackRoadCRV made an absolutely ideal one for his Integra project:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced.../#post51339940
Old 01-22-2018, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Definitely worth the fab time. Doesn't take too much.

BackRoadCRV made an absolutely ideal one for his Integra project:
Thanks for the link I'll give it a read