Notices

Anyone heard/use ACL rod and main bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard/use ACL rod and main bearings?

My friends have started using ACL brand connecting rod and main bearings. I've always been using Honda rod and main bearings.

Anyways, How good is ACL brand bearings?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone heard/use ACL rod and main bearings? (boredracer408)

I used them in my engine...many others have used them as well. They've been good to me. Do a search for more info.

Sonny
Old 01-02-2004, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been using them for about 2500 miles on my new motor and about 3000 plus on my old setup.

They have a very even wear so far and looked great when I had to pull the pistons cuz the rings (total seal) I had were **** and did not seat proper.

Over all for the price and the stress I have been putting on them they are good .

There are alot of the big names on this board useing them in there 10,000+ rpm spinning motors also.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:50 PM

OE Honda bearings are the best. Most (all) of the top engine builders use stock Honda bearings. Why use anything else?
Old 01-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone heard/use ACL rod and main bearings? (Beanbooger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Beanbooger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OE Honda bearings are the best. Most (all) of the top engine builders use stock Honda bearings. Why use anything else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

...because the ACL's are cheaper and not on national backorder when you need one.

Sonny
Old 01-02-2004, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Beanbooger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OE Honda bearings are the best.</TD></TR></TABLE>What specific manufacturing procedures make them better?
You do understand that Honda does NOT make the bearings themselves. More than one bearing manufacturer makes them for Honda.
I am not saying they are not better, I just want someone to tell me why they are better.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:08 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Anyone heard/use ACL rod and main bearings? (earl)

here we go again. Then me and Earl get into this big argument like and argument between a father and son.

Go OEM!!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone heard/use ACL rod and main bearings? (Arturbo)

Hey Art:

That team that you work with...you know...with the fast CRX last year? What kind of bearings are in their engines?

Sonny
Old 01-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Anyone heard/use ACL rod and main bearings? (Sonny)

They used ACL. But I also know of a fast *** civic that Tony1 built and what was he using?
Old 01-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone heard/use ACL rod and main bearings? (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They used ACL. But I also know of a fast *** civic that Tony1 built and what was he using? </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol...whose team are you on anyway?

Sonny
Old 01-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Once again, what manufacturing process makes the OEM's better? I am open to changing to OEM if someone will just present me with the facts. Honda uses 2-3 different manufacturers to make their bearings. How can they remain consistent with different manufacturers? AGAIN, Honda BUYS the bearings from others, they don't make them.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boredracer408 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friends have started using ACL brand connecting rod and main bearings. I've always been using Honda rod and main bearings.

Anyways, How good is ACL brand bearings? </TD></TR></TABLE>we use acl bearings...honda bearings are on backorder for a while.......im running acl in my block revvin to 9k 20000 miles and goin...
Old 01-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone heard/use ACL rod and main bearings? (mrctr)

OK, ive asked this before but noone ever answered. HAS ANYONE EVER HAD PREMATURE PROBLEMS WITH ACL BEARINGS BEFORE? if not, then these arguments mean nothing and just pick what is cheaper and more convenient
Old 01-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Do a search for more info.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-03-2004, 05:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Once again, what manufacturing process makes the OEM's better? I am open to changing to OEM if someone will just present me with the facts. Honda uses 2-3 different manufacturers to make their bearings. How can they remain consistent with different manufacturers? AGAIN, Honda BUYS the bearings from others, they don't make them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are right that Honda does not manufacture the bearings, but they ARE made to Honda's extremely rigid specifications. These bearings from all manufacturers that Honda uses have been fully qualified by Honda at a cost of millions of dollars. I am not doubting that many people have had no problems with ACL bearings, but ACL (or any other aftermarket component supplier) cannot have the same quality control and testing that Honda has with bearings that are made to their specification. Honda has what, 7 different sizes of bearings to get the clearance just right? How many sizes does ACL offer? You may say that 0.0002" does not make a difference to you, but it does to Honda. It is this level of precision on every aspect of a Honda engine that makes a Honda as good as it is. Why would you not agree that this level of precision also likely produces a better bearing? On such a critical part, after I have already spent thousands of dollars on rods, pistons, headwork, etc., I am not going to buy bearings based upon the nominal price difference between OE and aftermarket units. As far as availability, I am more interested in building it right than I am in building it tomorrow, so I can wait.

AND, like I said before, most of the top engine builders recommend using OE Honda bearings. Just makes sense to me.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So are you saying that only one exact bearing clearance will work with all Honda applications? What is that EXACT clearance? Would you use that same clearance for a street engine that has to go 150K miles. How about a road race engine? How about 1000 hp alky powered Honda? I'm sure many top notch engine builders use non Honda bearings also. You can be sure Honda never sees the bearings they sell. They come boxed from the manufacturer. One last question...Why does the Helms manual give you an acceptable bearing clearance range if only one clearance is right? Most people cannot accurately measure to the nearest .0001" and you certainly can't do it with plastigage.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:20 PM

I'm with Earl, ACL all the way. I bought mine from him