Notices

Anyone ever install new rod bolts or different pistons and not rebalance the assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone ever install new rod bolts or different pistons and not rebalance the assembly?

Wondering if anyone has installed upgraded ARP rod bolts or installed different pistons without rebalancing the assembly? Just curious how the motor handles small imbalances and changes, and if it can tolerate it?

Anyone have a motor still running that wasn't re-balanced?

I know the theory behind what will happen...I want people with firsthand experience that ran non-rebalanced components.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone ever install new rod bolts or different pistons and not rebalance the assembly? (RC000E)

on my last ls/vtec i took the ls rods took off the oem bolts and replaced them with the arp's, then i took off the ls pistons and used b16 pistons. i just replaced the parts, used new bearings from honda and put it all back together.

engine ran great. i would beat the **** out of it pretty much everyday and was fine. idle was good also, no noticeable vibrations. i sold the car about 12k mlies after and i just talked to the new owner about a month ago, who has put over 25k miles on it and he told me its runing great still.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone ever install new rod bolts or different pistons and not rebalance the assembly? (RC000E)

Inline fours like Honda's don't use the other components to balance the crank.The cranks are balanced without bob weights.The rods are matched to the other rods, the pistons are matched to the other pistons,etc...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:32 AM
Man U FTW

Default Re: Anyone ever install new rod bolts or different pistons and not rebalance the assembly? (NJIN BUI

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NJIN BUILDR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Inline fours like Honda's don't use the other components to balance the crank.The cranks are balanced without bob weights.The rods are matched to the other rods, the pistons are matched to the other pistons,etc...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt know that....thanks for the info
Old 08-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone ever install new rod bolts or different pistons and not rebalance the assembly? (NJIN BUI

Hmmm...I really didn't think that was the case. I thought all machine shops did a total weight per cylinder, then did the bob weights with the lead shot.

I have heard varying ideas of how the Honda motors are actually balanced from the factory.

So, your basically saying that the crank is balanced, then the rods are zero'd as a set, pistons zero'd as a set, etc? So if the rod weights equal, piston weights equal, then essentially the motor is stable?

Over the years, the machine shop that does my block prep never divulged this information, and having done V8's in the past I never thought it was done differently. Gonna have to have a conversation.