Notices

Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri?

Im going to get my car tuned there in 2 weeks and i am wondering if anyone knows anything about them. There a hondata dealer and tuner.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (MEANB18)

how did they work out..
i am a fellow kC Boy and was wondering who around here does affordable and "quality" aftermarket tuning , swaps etc???
I have a legend, used to have a swapped civic hatch.. but i am trying to get back into another one and go autoxing
Old 02-27-2007, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (MEANB18)

Whatever you do, DO NOT GO TO FORWARD THRUST!!!!!!. I will let my brother tell you what happened to his B18C5.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:39 PM

Go to Suprdave in Illinois!! He is an excellent tuner.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (jaggrieger30)

My brother posted above. Here's my story about Forward Thrust.

Three years ago I went to Forward Thrust to get my B18C5 with a Drag stage 3 kit tuned with Hondata. After driving from St. Louis I was ready to get it tuned and expected a nice shop, low and behold Forward Thrust is a barn behind this so-called Hondata tuner's house, Dale. I shrugged it off and talked to Dale for a bit, then we were off to get street tuned.

After about 15 minutes of Dale putting about 5,000 miles of wear on my brake pads while street tuning, he said we were ready to dyno tune. Dale then informed me that the dyno was in Kansas about an hour and a half away. After hearing this I was alittle pissed off since the last thing I want to do after a 4 hour drive is drive another hour and a half, thus making my trip home now 5.5 hours.

When I finally get there, I was ready to see what kind of numbers my car put down. After making a few pulls, my car was putting down 240whp, which was somewhat decent on a 6psi wastegate spring. After making a few more, the power started to drop. I figured this was due to heatsoak and the fact that it was about 100 degrees in the shop. Dale finished up and I was ready to hit the road. I pay Dale, shake hands, and tell him thanks. The car drove fine on the way home and got decent gas mileage.

That weekend I decide to take my car to the track and see what it could do. I run decent, 13.5's, I was satisfied and head home. The next day I start it up and it's smoking a bit, I thought it might be my valve seals so I start to drive it out of my subdivision. By the time I was just about to get out of my neighborhood it's smoking really bad, and had trouble getting back moving after I had to stop at a stop sign. I knew something was wrong so I gimped it back home, park it, and pop my hood. Oil was all over my firewall, and saw that it had shot out of my breather on the valve cover so I do a compression test. Compression numbers were:

165-80-185-0 (1-2-3-4)

After seeing the compression numbers I came to the conclusion that my ringlands were shot, so I pull the head the next day and find this:

The pictures above were the number 4 piston. I don't have anymore shots of it, but after i pulled it out, the whole side of the piston was melted; all of the ringlands on all of the pistons were also cracked. After seeing this, I knew the motor needed a rebuild so I went all out and got Benson sleeves, Eagle rods, CP pistons etc. After the motor is all assembled and the new turbo setup was installed, I decided to get the car tuned at Payn Technologies in Michigan. Evan tuned the car and did an awesome job. I told him about my last setup and tune and had him look at Dale's tune on the old chip . Evan opened the chip up, looked at it for a few seconds, and started laughing. He called me over, and said this whole map is crap. He asked again if I was turboed last time and I said yeah. He began to tell me that Dale never pulled any timing out of the tune, and that it was basically an N/A motor tune. After many days of blaming myself for the demise of the motor, it was the tune that ultimately caused it.

Sorry for the long story, but I had to tell it after my brother told me that a guy on Honda-Tech was going to get tuned at Forward Thrust. I'm not sure if Forward Thrust has moved into a real shop, or if Dale has actually learned how to tune a turboed Honda, but I can't stress this enough, DO NOT GO TO FORWARD THRUST.

Go to The Whip Factory in Plainfield, Illinois and have SuperDave tune it. SuperDave is an amazing tuner, and I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Modified by SC61HB at 6:08 PM 2/27/2007
Old 02-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (SC61HB)

Damn, sounds like Dale gave you a 'Forward Thrust' right into your *******.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone in missouri knows to stay away from forward thrust and adrenaline motorsports.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, sounds like Dale gave you a 'Forward Thrust' right into your *******. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and we all know how that ends...
Old 02-27-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (pheurton-skeurto)

sorry to hear about your engine SC61HB. As soon as I heard him call his barn a shop I would have laughed and went to get dinner. I guess 4 hours of driving may change your mind though. Glad its worked out for you though!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (JoePSI)

TRY GOING TO MINHS MOTORS OR REV MOTORSPORTS HAD MY CAR TUNED ON CROME PRO AND THEY DID AN AMAZING JOB, OR SO I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS....
Old 02-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (crvtkllr)

dave @ whipfactory is worth the drive and then some, I would not waste my time or money anyplace else.

I learned the hard way that local tuners in missouri are worthless... fortunately it did not cost me a motor when they tuned it (although it did not help it) but it did cost me a ton of WHP, driveability, and almost 600 dollars (not to mention my time).
Old 02-28-2007, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is your setup and what EMS are you looking to use?

You can give our shop a call.

Revline Motorsports
816-221-4411

We have an in-house dyno, and have tuned a couple turbo hondas. Try http://www.kcsr.org if you need/want referrals.

-Chuong
Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (jaggrieger30)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaggrieger30 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to Suprdave in Illinois!! He is an excellent tuner. </TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks but tooo far..
I just need someone experienced at doing b'series swaps.. not just "can do em" but kicks **** at doing em.. and are experienced w/ the lil extras that can happen while doing a swap..
(vaccume lines/ fabrication, adding vtec wires, o2 sensor wires, auto to manual swap etc... )
Old 03-01-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (crvtkllr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crvtkllr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TRY GOING TO MINHS MOTORS OR REV MOTORSPORTS HAD MY CAR TUNED ON CROME PRO AND THEY DID AN AMAZING JOB, OR SO I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS.... </TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks , try not yelling helpful info please.. it hurts our ears , or keyboard... whatever..
Old 03-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (SpoonSportsJunkie)

revline helped my friend wire his motor swap for like 200 bucks after we couldn't get it to start after the swap. chuong was really cool and gave my friend his cell number and everything. i might go there to talk about having them doing a b20 vtec this summer
Old 03-08-2007, 06:42 PM

You can't go wrong with Revline, great shop, great guys.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: (ScandalousCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScandalousCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can't go wrong with Revline, great shop, great guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so they are not a bunch of greese monkeys?
cool..

I willl check out their shop!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of forward thrust in kansas city missouri? (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, sounds like Dale gave you a 'Forward Thrust' right into your *******. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And they don't even cuddle you or kiss you.. let alone put a ring on your finger..