Notices

Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 05:30 PM
JAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather???

Whats up guys.

My turbo si has never seen this freezing cold weather before. I took it out last night and tried to do a 4th gear pull. It was breaking up at like 6k under full boost. Its always ran great. Drove it on nights where it was like 40 degrees before and never had any problems.

My setup:
LS/vtec 2.0
Sc61
Hondata S200.

It was tuned back when the weather was in the 50's or so. Been running incredible ever since. Could the hondata need to be tuned again for this cold weather?

thansk guys
Old 12-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather??? (JAY)

Sounds like it may be leaning out. Is there an AIT correction in Hondata?
Old 12-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car idles like pure crap when its cold, like when I get up for work at 6 and it's 10 degrees out, she barely gets going. Runs pretty bad til its warm too. My Uber Basemap is a little too rich for a cold engine.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D15B7turbo)

What do you mean by breaking up? loosing traction? I havent noticed any problem with my teg yet, only it start up a little rough but every car seem to start rough when it cold anyway. I never drove on a cold engine so i wouldnt know what it be like but i bet my forged internal would be loud as hell lol.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StolenTeg)

I've found I need to add a lot more fuel in the winter, I have a map for warm weather and a map for cold weather,
Old 12-18-2004, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just when you tune you have to know what wheather is going to be coming. I make things a little rich in the fall so it is ok during the winter. And no hondata doesn't have a temperature calibration on it, its tuned the way its tuned.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

Only thing I hate about the cold weather was having to stand out in the blistering *** cold weather when I thought I was overheating. Turns out I wasn't overheating, but my stupid greddy gauge sensor took a ****....Argghhh!!!

Khoi
Old 12-18-2004, 07:31 PM

its only like a %5 difference though, or something like that
Old 12-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine runs fine. But my car was tuned when it was *** cold outside. But your car will run leaner when it is colder outside. Do you have a wideband? If so what is it reading when it breaks up?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather??? (underpressure02)

If it's breaking up it's probably due to Hondata hitting boost cut. When it gets cold, the air is denser and you will boost more than usual. Just readjust your boost controller or waste gate.

My car loves the cold. It feels a heck of a lot stronger when it's cold. No traction whatsoever in first and second gear though.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

weel i can't really say the same because my car pulls hard as hell when its colder... I love cold weather
Old 12-18-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather??? (darkdayz)

Try driving at temperatures around 0 degree's F at 7200 ft elevation
Old 12-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not too big a fan of this cold weather either. It's been too cold for me to work outside on my car and stuff, especially when it comes to washing it.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather??? (xavior66)

my car hasn't been washed in a long time
Old 12-19-2004, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather??? (SOHC_MShue)

Your car will have lower intake charge temperaters when its cold but your car should have a charge temperater sensor which compenstes for the change. Mine has but it may only be ODB0 im not sure. Goes a lot better when its cold tho, its like have a much bigger intercooler!
Old 12-19-2004, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather??? (crispydee)

mine gets pig rich when its cold out and leans up when it gets warm?!?!?!?!
Old 12-19-2004, 04:12 AM
mrx
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather??? (99Hybrid_Hatch)

why does hondata don't have a IAT correction?
afaik hondata based uppon the stock ecu and the stock ecu has a iat sensor so it sould have a iat correction?!? makes no sense to me that hondata has disabled the iat correction routine?!?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JAY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats up guys.

My turbo si has never seen this freezing cold weather before. I took it out last night and tried to do a 4th gear pull. It was breaking up at like 6k under full boost. Its always ran great. Drove it on nights where it was like 40 degrees before and never had any problems.

My setup:
LS/vtec 2.0
Sc61
Hondata S200.

It was tuned back when the weather was in the 50's or so. Been running incredible ever since. Could the hondata need to be tuned again for this cold weather?

thansk guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry but this is turbo season. My car pulls like a **** now that it's cold, and I'm lovin every second of it. . .
Old 12-19-2004, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jay, sounds like you might have been hitting boost cut with the tune. The fact that the CEL was flashing indicates that you are hitting the boost cut with hondata. I have seen boost creep at super low temperature conditions. My tial 40mm holds spring pressure during the warmer months, i had datalogged a 2-3psi change when i took it out last winter in 15-20 degree weather. Bring it back up to the shop, I'll take of the issue for you if its fuel related.

BTW, Hondata doesnt have IAT compensation maps, but Neptune does. You should make the switch over to it now.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:39 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Re: (D15B7turbo)

Same for me too. DAMN this cold weather!!! My car idles like a bad vacuum leak or sumthing at start-up.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:01 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (jerseykid609)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerseykid609 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">boost cut at 6k ? dont sound like boost cut from his description. its needs a tuneup for the 20 degree change in temp. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My car would hit boost cut on cold days last winter...His description was pretty similar to what mine would do...my car was tuned @ 14psi and would hit the cut @ ~16-17 fairly easy on a cold day.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:06 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (Mpir3)

my car hates the cold weather
Old 12-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather??? (xavior66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xavior66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not too big a fan of this cold weather either. It's been too cold for me to work outside on my car and stuff, especially when it comes to washing it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ur from louisiana! what would u know about cold weather?!
Old 12-19-2004, 02:10 PM
JAY

Default Re: Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather??? (boosted hybrid)

Jeff-

Im gonna put a different spring in the wastegate for now and see what happens. Ill hook up Rons wideband as well to make sure nothigns goin real lean. This spring i plan on coming back and doing the Neptune and also the race gas tune....the only other thing i have changed from the time it was tuned was a new lower ic pipe. Its undoubtly flowing better than the **** i had on there before....maybe this could causing my problems in combination with the cold weather.

up until now this things been running insaine dude....it is def a highway monster like u said...lol. I spin 4th gear with this thing like its nothin if the grounds not hot. I raced a Turbo R32 VW that went mid 11's on the highway. Smoked him, now hes sellin the car...lol...
Old 12-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my cars been running like sh@# since the cold weather started.idles all over.put i did also do a motor change.so back to jeffs i go.i guess you just have to do a summer tune and winter tune.
jeff im comin on the 28 dec.

Quick Reply: Anyone elses car NOT liking this cold as weather???