Notices

Anybody tuning uberdata without a windband at home, just going by how it runs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody tuning uberdata without a windband at home, just going by how it runs?

Just wondering if anybody is out there just...tuning based off how the car is running. I don't believe that you "Need" the car dyno tuned, just wondering if anybody is out there brave enough to try it themselves?.

I've got an EGT, but I don't think that will help much.
My father builds alot of motors, and he drag races top sportsman class for IHRA, he never has once gone to the dyno, and his motors run fine. One person on his crew thought I was being ridiculous by saying I had to take the car to the dyno to get it tuned. anyway thanks.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:08 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Anybody tuning uberdata without a windband at home, just going by how it runs? (pushinlsteg)

you don't need a dyno to tune, you can tune on the street with a wideband....I wouldn't push the car that far without ATLEAST a wideband o2...why risk it? you really can't compared FI honda's with what your dad has...very different in all aspects.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody tuning uberdata without a windband at home, just going by how it runs? (pushinlsteg)

ARE U SERIOUS??? Top Fuel Dragsters are tuned on engine dynos, and for that matter, all classes of racers are either tuned on chasis or engine dynos... tune by how it feels... turn up the boost too... post the results in one week
Old 06-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody tuning uberdata without a windband at home, just going by how it runs? (dohcnotec)

WOW! I just boosted with UBERdata tonight. Finally got it running after 3 weeks of hell~!!

On my own set basemap (followed from uber forum) and little modified Fuel..etc.etc...

Run like no other! Non Tuned.. and car runs like STOCK!@ except with the extra BOOST! Very clean conservative ride. -=D
Old 06-30-2004, 11:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pushinlsteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't believe that you "Need" the car dyno tuned</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!! No wideband, wether on a dyno or not, makes me laugh out loud.

More power to you, see if that guy on your dads crew is ready to buy you another motor... you're gonna need it.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$300 Wideband
Vs
$500 LS motor (Plus swap time, and the "little things" that add up while doing a swap)

Sure you can try tuning without a wideband, but why risk it? Your car CAN gain more power with a good tune than a $500 exhaust for instance. Plus you get the added reliability assuming you don't F it up WITH the wideband.

And hey, you might even be able to rent the wideband to your dad and his friends so they can tune their **** the right way
Old 07-01-2004, 05:58 AM

You can tune a carb eninge without a wideband. There is a huge difference in them. Lot of those guys just read plugs.. It seems to work really good.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:11 AM

Default Re: (Overblown-Teg)

did u see that on horsepower tv yesterday? <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Overblown-Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can tune a carb eninge without a wideband. There is a huge difference in them. Lot of those guys just read plugs.. It seems to work really good. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-01-2004, 07:46 AM

hahah i am seriously laughing out loud right now. Just do me a favor and post pics when you blow it up. Just out of curosity, whats your setup and boost levels?

but on a serious note, every car is different. Because bigwigs (or other uberfool )bin worked for him doesn't mean that it will work on your car either. Yes an egt can help you tune, but if you read up about the reasons not to you might understand. Just find some h-t guys in your area and see if you could possibly rent one from them. And just because your car is pulling hard, doesn't mean that your not leaning out. Then the next thing you know your towing the car home and swapping the motor. And believe me...Its not worth the 300 dollars you saved on not getting a widband.

Uberdata owns obd1
Old 07-01-2004, 07:52 AM

Default Re: (4G63)

No. What do you think people did before widebands were all over the place? Tuning a carb NA car is not nearly as difficult as a turbo efi.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you are a brave soul. You won't catch me doing that
Old 07-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Overblown-Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Overblown-Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tuning a carb NA car is not nearly as difficult as a turbo efi. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly but this is a turbo EFI car.
Id like to see these carb guys tune a turbo carb.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (Muckman)

haha uberdata does own obd1

anyway. i ran uberdata for about a week without using a wideband. i thought i was lean up top because i set my boost fuel efficiency to 105, and that is lower then the reccommended 120. so i put the wideband on there- guess what? im running pretty fuggin rich up top.! 11.5 up till about 6000rpm, then it drops to 11.3! i was not expecting this at all. so the lesson here is that you may think one thing, but the wideband might tell you otherwise.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: (blackeg)

To be clear I am not suggesting to use the spark plug method of tuning. Just commenting that his father could be using that on the NA cars he tunes. There was tuning before widebands even existed and the cars did run great. Of coarse they did not make nearly the power that our cars due which left a margin of error.

Anyway.. USE A WIDEBAND..
Old 07-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you guys made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I'll post you pics of the **** I sweep off the road
thanks to those who actually tried to make sense instead of saying WHOA DUDE, YOU ARE A LOSER AND YOU NEED A WIDEBAND CAUSE THEY ARE THE BEST AND YOUR **** WILL BLOW!!!

I love getting flamed for asking questions, it wasn't that dumb of a question if you ask me. Thanks H-T.