Notices

Anybody running an "Engine Stiffy" from Ingalls?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody running an "Engine Stiffy" from Ingalls?

Did a quick search but nothing came up, I happen to spot this on the net:

http://www.lightningmotorsport...y.htm

Anybody running one of these? I hate wheel hop with a passion, especially off the hole at the track and I'm not sure I'm gonna be installing my Z10 bars on the Teg, so this might help some but I wanted to know if anybody has firsthand experience with it.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anybody running an "Engine Stiffy" from Ingalls? (VTC_resurected_CiViC)

I got one from Lightning a few months ago. That thing made a HUGE difference. It definately helped a lot more than motor mount inserts and it didn't cause vibration like the really stiff mounts. Helped wheel hop a lot. to the Ingalls Stiffy
Old 12-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used a JMD model marketed by KING motorsports it did well till i launched on slicks real hard and bent the bracket and cut into my cam gear!!!!!! gave me a new CNC mark on my cam gear looked kinda cool tho, and it did work
Old 12-22-2004, 07:45 AM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i used a JMD model marketed by KING motorsports it did well till i launched on slicks real hard and bent the bracket and cut into my cam gear!!!!!! gave me a new CNC mark on my cam gear looked kinda cool tho, and it did work</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's why I stayed away from the cheap stuff. All of the parts with the Ingalls kit are high quality. I've lauched on slicks many times and never had any trouble.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tthame1)

Sounds good guys thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Anybody running an "Engine Stiffy" from Ingalls? (VTC_resurected_CiViC)

anybody use these on a swapped b18c in a 5gen civic?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

forget that ricer crap, just get a set of Z10s and urethane inserts and do it right.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:46 AM

I dont know but if this shock is mounted on the side of the engine... the engine will not move properly ?? I mean it will travel more on the side that there is no shock ??

Old 12-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

can you put one on both sides to even out the load again.

platinum.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:01 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always liked the idea. But I think you should definitly get traction bars first. (if you have a problem w/ wheel hop) Or if you have a problem with torqueing of the engine, you should get mounts first. After you got the basic's covered, it might be a good addition. I'd like to try one and see if it really helps.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:46 AM

Default homemadeshock

Or, here's a link from someone who made one themself with a mountain bike shock =D
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/f...53454
Old 12-22-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: (ForceFedDetroit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ForceFedDetroit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">forget that ricer crap, just get a set of Z10s and urethane inserts and do it right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.. If you really want one make one yourself.. All it is is a threaded pipe and eye bolts..
Old 12-22-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Re: homemadeshock (jagojon3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jagojon3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or, here's a link from someone who made one themself with a mountain bike shock =D
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/f...53454</TD></TR></TABLE>

A coilover for your motor.. Whats next...
Old 12-22-2004, 10:21 AM

Default Re: homemadeshock (tgreaves)

I've seen these on alot of 240's and Supras. I've never had any experience with them but it seems like a good concept.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone make one for the CRX?
Old 12-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody running an "Engine Stiffy" from Ingalls? (tegunderpressure)

dude seriously, my model was not a cheap one and it was JDM from a good company, i have since then changed the middle peice to a double reverse threaded coupler and spherical rod ends, and can now preload the amount on my motor that i want.

and yes you can mount these in multiple locations in the engine bay, not just here
Old 12-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody running an "Engine Stiffy" from Ingalls? (mrbsponge)

That looks like it helps alot.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (tthame1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tthame1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's why I stayed away from the cheap stuff. All of the parts with the Ingalls kit are high quality. I've lauched on slicks many times and never had any trouble.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt King sells any "cheap" stuff that would hurt their name. As far as Ive HEARD, these torque dampers are great. I will be getting one for my engine...
Old 12-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody running an "Engine Stiffy" from Ingalls? (tegunderpressure)

lol, that is funny. suspension for your motor...

I have something similar on my mustang..I'll show a pic when I get home. basically it's just a tube with rod ends and a little bracket.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nopi has one from nrg racing... i just installed it this past weekend!
awesome results and it was about 60 bucks shipped
Old 12-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is the link
its the same exact thing!
http://www.nopionline.com/nopi...01997

I bet all these companies buy it from one manufacturer and resell
Old 12-22-2004, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Anybody running an "Engine Stiffy" from Ingalls? (mrbsponge)

Talk about a sh*tty mounting location. I understand that it may help slightly along with the bottom torque mounts, but seriously, talk about mounting that to the wrong side of the engine. If your realy going to get the full benefit from it, it should be positoned in the center of the engine and tranny assembly, not on the end of and engine. A really easy way to do this, is just like all the big V8 guys, Chains or straps. You pretension them, and then under full load, the engine doesn't even begin to move because you already have a slight amount of tension holding it back, not to mention it a lot cheaper and more effective.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you are correct and for those of us with welders and a i little desire to improve a good product, some of us did work on the design a little.

also if you were to mount it a a "pull type" with tension from the opposite direction, it would work even better, rather than the engine pushing into the dampner.

i tried a few different mounting spots.

-firewall, behind engine, using the factory "lift hook location" on the head.

-i used a threaded locking collar 2 of them and deleted the rear tranny mount.

-and on a crx i made one to fit the front crossmember and brace the engine a little better.

it all depends on how much time you have and how much you really wanna mess with some things
Old 12-22-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Anybody running an "Engine Stiffy" from Ingalls? (XSIintegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XSIintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Talk about a sh*tty mounting location. I understand that it may help slightly along with the bottom torque mounts, but seriously, talk about mounting that to the wrong side of the engine. If your realy going to get the full benefit from it, it should be positoned in the center of the engine and tranny assembly, not on the end of and engine. A really easy way to do this, is just like all the big V8 guys, Chains or straps. You pretension them, and then under full load, the engine doesn't even begin to move because you already have a slight amount of tension holding it back, not to mention it a lot cheaper and more effective.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is a wonderful way to break stuff to straps and chains.

The stiffy may work better if it were in the middle of the engine, but it almost completely eliminated my wheel hop, so I am VERY pleased with my investment.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: (Bar'dEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bar’dEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I doubt King sells any "cheap" stuff that would hurt their name. As far as Ive HEARD, these torque dampers are great. I will be getting one for my engine...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, did you read the 2nd post? The guy said that he launched his car on slicks and the bracket bent causing a nice dent in his cam gear.

I've launched my car with the Ingalls damper on slicks numerous times and never had a bit of trouble. It is a very high quality piece.

Quick Reply: Anybody running an "Engine Stiffy" from Ingalls?