Notices

anybody out there with a built b16 with the b17 crank?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody out there with a built b16 with the b17 crank?

what would be the max safe bore you could do and with the b17 crank what displacement would that make?

i really like b16's but if doing this would make it still want to rev forever and have a little more ummph down low im thinking about giving it a try

im pretty sure you have to use rods for a b17 and im not sure about the pistons

anyone with experience with this setup?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anybody out there with a built b16 with the b17 crank? (spoolin turbo s)

is there anybody out there?
Old 11-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anybody out there with a built b16 with the b17 crank? (spoolin turbo s)

use the compression calculator.. google
Old 11-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anybody out there with a built b16 with the b17 crank? (marcj)

Originally Posted by marcj
use the compression calculator.. google
thats not what i want i want personal experience

i really like b16 and would like a motor that acted like a b16 with just a little extra umph while retaining a great R/S ratio and doing this would do that
Old 11-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this being boosted? dont really see a point in using the b17 stuff. get some different cams if you have stock b16 cams and boost boost boost.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:52 PM
official honda whore

Default Re: anybody out there with a built b16 with the b17 crank? (AJxr)

you should just ask what people are doing with b17' as thats what your basically asking

i personally love those motors but they are hard to find and not that many people boost them
Old 11-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

THIS GUY IS A TROLL!! he does this on every forum, he is also on vwvortex and evom, he asks crazy stupid questions and demands personal experience to stir up crap BOOOOO!!!! he has been a member since 2004!! If he was not a troll he would have learned by now BOOO FOR TROLLS BAN HIM BAN HIM!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah im on multiple boards because im trying to learn because i can't learn hands on because im disabled and until i get my health fixed im going to continue to read and ask questions

the only way you can learn is to read and ask questions if you can't do it hands on

the last time i checked it wasn't against forum rules to read and ask questions on this forum and other forums

so you want me banned for asking questions? boo to you for running your mouth when you don't know enough about me to know why i do what i do

if you don't like my questions don't respond no one is forcing you to so just don't click on reply

until i break the rules i will continue being me and try to learn the best i know how

so boo to you for trying to impede me wanting to learn

btw the only stupid question is the one your afraid to ask so if you don't like my topics or questions then don't reply no one is making you do so and boo to you for calling me a troll do you even know the definition to the word troll obviously not

and i do not try to stir up crap that is a blatent lie so if you think im a troll thats your opinion but thats it YOUR OPINION nothing more

and if the rules on this forum is like the rules on vwvortex personal attacks on fellow forum members are not allowed so if anyone should be banned it should be you for this personal attack on me

hopefully a moderater will see your personal attack on me and do something about it
Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you use any motor you want. if your so worried about R/S ratio (which you shouldnt be), then its time for you to start ordering custom length rods and custom pistons. honestly if you are trying to rev any honda pass 11K you will start to run into piston blow out and ignition troubles other than that a B16, B17, or B18 is just fine for whatever you build
Old 11-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do b16 and b17 have the same deck height?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Think you people arent anwsering the question or being *****(sp) bags about it...He wants to know if he would be benifit from useing a b17 crank setup in a b16 block, rather then the stock assembly.

Now i have never done it or researched it, i am assuming your asking this question because the parts are available to you, and you want a cost effective way to some more reliable power.

Agian i have never done a setup like this but i would guess the parts arent just going to work together...Your going to need custom machineing, pistons, rods($$$). And in the end if your just looking for a B series feel. You might as well start with that in the first place.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we did a b17 and priced the rods and thay were crazy expensive so we destroked it with b16 crank pistions and rods much cheaper would not be worth the extra cost
Old 11-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by leach
we did a b17 and priced the rods and thay were crazy expensive so we destroked it with b16 crank pistions and rods much cheaper would not be worth the extra cost

now this is is something very useful to me
thank you alot

really if the heads are the same can you rev about any bseries to the same max rpm's? you could just get more out of the b16 with less headwork
would this be correcte?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spoolin turbo s
now this is is something very useful to me
thank you alot

really if the heads are the same can you rev about any bseries to the same max rpm's? you could just get more out of the b16 with less headwork
would this be correcte?

Dont be so hung up on rpms. Its all going to come down to your motor, cams, manifold and turbo combination as to wher eyour going to make power. the real questions you should be asking is what do i need for xxx power output. give us your goals and we will give you better information. IE you want 400whp and you have a b16 with type r cams on a cast log what turbo do you need. thats just IE which your going to need somethign like a 57 0r 60 trim t04e with a .63 turbine to giv eyou decent spool and you should be able to make nice power. with type r cams they really liek to come alive after 6500rpm and higher boost IMO. so you should be able to make power to 9k range. with something like that.

again post your goals and what parts you already are working with and peopel can guide you in the right direction because thats really what it seems you want
Old 11-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have all that down i know what i want except for motor wise i know that may sound stupid but thats where im at
Old 11-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ill probably go with some usual b series i had just wondered about the b17 because its not mentioned on here very much

but if rods and pistons and such for it is more expensive then thats out the window

im thinking b16 with a gt28rs would be ideal for a dd hatch or crx
Old 11-20-2008, 05:35 AM

ill probably go with some usual b series i had just wondered about the b17 because its not mentioned on here very much

but if rods and pistons and such for it is more expensive then thats out the window

its not mentioned much because its def one of the rarer B-series motors. hence the seemingly extra expense for the parts.

the reason people arent giving you straight up answers is because youre being cryptic with the info you've given us. no one knows what head/turbo/manifold/etc that youre using so no one can give you an accurate--or even informed answer. if you want to learn more about the B17 in general, just search.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed. i would recomend a larger turbine housing just for some better top end performance. thats just my .02
Old 11-20-2008, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ght=b17+stroke

found some good info here. i know its a b18c vs b17 discussion but they get into the deck height differences (b16 and b17 are the same) and the stroke differences (b17 has a 4.4mm longer stroke than the b16). definitley worth reading. hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Agreed. i would recomend a larger turbine housing just for some better top end performance. thats just my .02

you can get it with an atp t3 drop in with a .82 hotside
i would n't want much more than 300whp on it as a dd