Notices

anybody here not runing a thermosta in there car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody here not runing a thermosta in there car?

anybody not runing a thermosta in there turbo cars? i heard if u dont run it your car will stay cooler. i guess the V8 guys dont run it on there race cars.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: anybody here not runing a thermosta in there car? (high_octane)

running without a thermostat is a pretty bad idea. it will take longer to warm up. (poor fuel economy) and once it does finally reach operating temp it WILL over heat.

if you are having cooling problems look into a better rad/fans/thermo-switch/better mixture of antifreeze/water.

do NOT remove the t-stat.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anybody here not runing a thermosta in there car? (non-VTEC)

sorry but it wont overheat... it will stay too cold and will be harder to make it go to normal temp, will be a bitch to keep in a good temp range in highway under low load high speed driving. having it isnt bad, and removing it isnt bad on a race car, as long as u can make the car stay at normal temp by other means. Daily drivers i wouldnt remove it.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

degrease you engine block, flush out your cooling system, and use something like water wetter if you want to get your temps down. don't take out your thermostat.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (full Circling)

i had to take my t-stat out to get my car to stop over heating n its been fine..... my car doesnt take any longer to get to normal temp. and it runs perfect.... i drove it for 1.5hrs @ 65-70mph and it never rose in temp or decreased...stayed at normal temp and has been running fine...

im goin to get a new one but still my car runs perfect without one...
Old 06-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

removing it will cause overheating end of story
Old 06-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gunslinger)

removing your t-stat doesnt cause it to overheat....

my problem was that the t-stat wouldnt open and was broken which cause my car to extremely overheat.... now that its out the coolant is constantly running through the car instead of it being let in at certain temps and what not with the t-stat in....

having it out will only cause it to run colder thats all not overheat
Old 06-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BDaTurboTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BDaTurboTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.... my car doesnt take any longer to get to normal temp. and it runs perfect.... never rose in temp or decreased...stayed at normal temp and has been running fine...

car runs perfect without one...</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BDaTurboTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">having it out will only cause it to run colder thats all not overheat</TD></TR></TABLE>

your car doesn't run perfect. your temp did decrease. it didn't stay at normal temp, and it didn't run fine. running outside of your ideal temp range isn't a good idea. hot or cold.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gunslinger)

over heat? oh god... stop mis information it wont overheat... it will run colder unless its stationary it may get to operating temp and turn on the fans, but on highway use it WILL be colder.. if it ain't u got other issues... but overheat? how in hell u just took an OBSTRUCTION in your cooling system... cause that's what the thermostat does... obstruct water passage till a desired temperature has been achieved...

IT WILL NOT OVERHEAT IT WILL WORK OUTSIDE NORMAL TEMP MOST OF THE TIME... which is bad for the longevity of your engine

Old 06-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by full Circling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

your car doesn't run perfect. your temp did decrease. it didn't stay at normal temp, and it didn't run fine. running outside of your ideal temp range isn't a good idea. hot or cold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok yeah it decrease a bit but it runs fine.... im goin to get a new one but not right now....dont have the time to deal with it....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris_tune &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">over heat? oh god... stop mis information it wont overheat... it will run colder unless its stationary it may get to operating temp and turn on the fans, but on highway use it WILL be colder.. if it ain't u got other issues... but overheat? how in hell u just took an OBSTRUCTION in your cooling system... cause that's what the thermostat does... obstruct water passage till a desired temperature has been achieved...

IT WILL NOT OVERHEAT IT WILL WORK OUTSIDE NORMAL TEMP MOST OF THE TIME... which is bad for the longevity of your engine

</TD></TR></TABLE>

right it wont overheat like i was saying..... but i didnt realize that its that much worse the longevity of the motor....why is that? just because its running that much colder?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the engine needs an operating temperature in which it works at ITs 100%... thats why u clearance everything like piston to cyl wall and everything... at that temp everything is at it's optimal.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chris_tune)

ok cool just didnt hear much about that....thanks

u think its bad to boost without one even for like a day? or just shouldnt boost at all without it?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depends on application and cooling available due to space restraints... for daily not over 400 whp u can use one with no problems whatsoever. u can use them on higher hp applications too... like i said depends on a lot of factors for taking it out... if you don't have a race car don't take it out... easier?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im just using my stock block with garrett t3/t4 and such...only making 230whp @ about 10psi
Old 06-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The thing is, the T-stat provides a pressure differential between the block and the radiator. This pressure differential aids in cooling and keeps the coolant from boiling around the cylinders (at least from what i've heard around here). *search*
Old 06-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cyphear)

the overall pressure of the cooling system is dictated more by the radiator cap the same pressure is in both sides mostly... the T-stat just obstructs water flow below a certain temperature, after that temp is reached it lets water pass till it goes down again and re-closes... if it doesnt go down it will keep flowing coolant/water whatever u use...
Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I disagree with your statement that not running a thermostat won't cause your car to overheat, as I have personally seen this firsthand. The thermostat when open is obviously a restriction in the system, slowing down the water flow, allowing the radiator to do its job more effectively.

Leave the OEM thermostat in the car and fix the real problem.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (locash)

how many cars u wish to see without a t-stat from cheaped builds that dont wanna replace the old worn t-stat? i got like 12 running right now, with 0 problems just they stay mad cool and hard to get to operational temp in dyno etc.... quite shitty but thats THEYRE problem... removing the T-stat in any type of application is kinda nuts.. unless u take it into consideration beforehand
Old 06-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris_tune &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will run colder unless its stationary it may get to operating temp and turn on the fans</TD></TR></TABLE>

You said it. It will heat up at idle. If the car idles long enough, it will over heat (the time is depend on the cooling system).

So how is it a obstruction if it was designed with a thermostart? Think about it.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbogixxer)

so if let it run for awhile with the t-stat out it could overheat...but will the gauge show that? because running without mine even at idle for 15min it didnt go past normal temp..... maybe it would need to run longer at idle? will that show it then?

im using a civic half dual core rad with a 12" slim fan push.....just stock hoses....
Old 06-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BDaTurboTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so if let it run for awhile with the t-stat out it could overheat...but will the gauge show that? because running without mine even at idle for 15min it didnt go past normal temp..... maybe it would need to run longer at idle? will that show it then?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is only a matter of time. It will over heat.

The stock guage is trash. I have seen a car overheat without the stock guage moving.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have seen a car overheat without the stock guage moving.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that sux lol

i will def keep an eye on it and get a new thermostat right away

thanks for the help.....sorry to the OP that i used ur thread lol hope it helped u out too
Old 06-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You said it. It will heat up at idle. If the car idles long enough, it will over heat (the time is depend on the cooling system).

So how is it a obstruction if it was designed with a thermostart? Think about it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

read again what i said again. operating temp is NOT overheating. the fans will come on and TEMP will go down... same as if it had the T-stat.

and AGAIN.... reread what i said about trying to maintain an operating temperature at NIGHT on the highway at 55 mph without a t-stat and u will answer the question of the design... HELL do it at day at 90 degress temp outside at 55mph... and the engine (provided everything else is in perfect working conditions) will be wayyyy colder than what its normal operating temperature should be... the t-stat is there to restrict water flow... cause if the water would continue running, as in no t-stat, the engine will get VERY cold to a degree(depends on weather etc) cruising in a highway at 55mph... try it yourself, its easier than to take my word for what i have seen

Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris_tune &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

read again what i said again. operating temp is NOT overheating. the fans will come on and TEMP will go down... same as if it had the T-stat.

and AGAIN.... reread what i said about trying to maintain an operating temperature at NIGHT on the highway at 55 mph without a t-stat and u will answer the question of the design... HELL do it at day at 90 degress temp outside at 55mph... and the engine (provided everything else is in perfect working conditions) will be wayyyy colder than what its normal operating temperature should be... the t-stat is there to restrict water flow... cause if the water would continue running, as in no t-stat, the engine will get VERY cold to a degree(depends on weather etc) cruising in a highway at 55mph... try it yourself, its easier than to take my word for what i have seen

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You said cruising temp. I said idling temp. Who is the one that is not reading again?

Not to be a dick, but you are wrong. And to add it, there was a engineer for Ford in the 80's (I forget his name, sorry.) that figured out that best performance is made at normal operating temp. He also made a formula about how the a/f would be effected by a colder engine.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im talking bout the cruising temp cause idling temp with the car not moving... the car without a t-stat will get to operating temp and it will not overheat... the fans will keep it on operating temp as normal as they do even with the t-stat... and yes again... the engine will always run better at operating temperature... i said taking the t-stat out is BADDDDD not good.. but it by any mean will not over heat.

btw i used the cruising example cause there is where the t-stat works brilliantly as it should... the car wont go below the operating temp thanks to the t-stat... with no t-stat it will get VERY cold... read all i said im just arguing about that it will not overheat, not that it is good to take it out

your a tuner... never dataloged a car with no t-stat on a highway... or strapped to the dyno with the big fans on the rad... its quite hard to get them to operational temp before doing passes on the dyno... and by any means they will not over heat.

i build and tune cars for a living i've seen the behavior of cars with a t-stat and without one too many... no t-stat cars always take longer to get to operating temp, which is a b1tch but they need to be around operating temp for consistent dyno runs and tunning...

we both know what we talking bout we just aren't on the same page

Modified by chris_tune at 12:24 AM 6/6/2007

Modified by chris_tune at 12:32 AM 6/6/2007

Quick Reply: anybody here not runing a thermosta in there car?