Notices

Anybody ever wonder why Deltagate sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody ever wonder why Deltagate sucks?

I think its all on the manifold design, Im now having to replace my drag 3 manifold because Im creeping even with a tial. It makes sense why, because the placement of the flange is only on #1 runner??? My point is I don't think its the deltagate that is the cause of boost problems but the manifold design. Again my boost creep did not start occuring til I went full 3".
Old 10-25-2001, 09:33 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Anybody ever wonder why Deltagate sucks? (LsTurbo91)

If you get an air compressor and inject pressure into both the tial and deltagate you will see why it creeps. The tial is nice and smooth with the deltagate hits the walls of cylinder of the wastegate. But I do know what you are saying about the design of the manifold.

art
Old 10-26-2001, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody ever wonder why Deltagate sucks? (Arturbo)

When I was at inlinepro getting parts for my turbo kit they told me to go with the rev-hard manifold b/c its a better design then the drag....they had the same problem with boost creep on the drag manifold.
Old 10-26-2001, 04:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Anybody ever wonder why Deltagate sucks? (ITR-481)

The boost creep came after the 3" piping because your exhaust pressure is so low now (good) that air wants to go that way instead of through the wastegate.

Hope I'm not stating the obvious. Just thought I'd throw it in, cuz no one said it yet.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought they sucked because of the diaphragm that keeps ripping (delta and race gate), never creeps on me though, even if the wategate is on only one runeer isnt the pressure pretty much equalized through the entire manifold?
Old 10-26-2001, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody ever wonder why Deltagate sucks? (00SilverLS)

The boost creep came after the 3" piping because your exhaust pressure is so low now (good) that air wants to go that way instead of through the wastegate.

Hope I'm not stating the obvious. Just thought I'd throw it in, cuz no one said it yet.
Exactly, because now it flows good #1 runner isn't good enough anymore to vent gasses especially at high rpm , think of the DSM's who run 17psi with there little internal wastegate? with no problems? because it vents right at the turbo. I don't think the deltagate would have these problems if the manifold had a better design. I'm getting geoff's new manifold today and Im gonna put the deltagate to the test and i'll let you know!
Old 10-26-2001, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody ever wonder why Deltagate sucks? (rtype11)

i thought they sucked because of the diaphragm that keeps ripping (delta and race gate), never creeps on me though, even if the wategate is on only one runeer isnt the pressure pretty much equalized through the entire manifold?
I'm sure the tial has a way better quality than the deltagate, point is nobody should be having boost creep problems running 6-10lbs on a EXTERNAL wastegate!

the rest of the runners do not equalize, it goes straight down to the turbo unless some miracle happens and the exhuast pressure goes to #1 runner, highly doubt it.
here's a pic of dustins drag 3: notice runners dont come together so there's no way for it to go upwards it goes straight to the turbo, even if that was the case

http://imglib.************/index.cgi?...ewimage&id=158

http://imglib.************/index.cgi?...ewimage&id=157

[Modified by LsTurbo91, 7:00 AM 10/26/2001]
Old 10-26-2001, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My Turbonetics wastegate gives no creep at all, although I am only running 8lbs of boost.
Old 10-26-2001, 07:46 AM
New User

Default Re: Anybody ever wonder why Deltagate sucks? (Vonte')

Good reason to tap an external wastegate off the exhaust housing of the turbo or at least the collector on a tubular manifold.
Old 10-26-2001, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody ever wonder why Deltagate sucks? (dbman96)

Good reason to tap an external wastegate off the exhaust housing of the turbo or at least the collector on a tubular manifold.
yea, too bad you can't tap the drag manifold now i have to shell out 4 bills for a new manifold.
Old 10-26-2001, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, too bad you can't tap the drag manifold now i have to shell out 4 bills for a new manifold.
If you get rid of the drag manifold you have to get rid of the DP you have too. Where do you have the pressure port for your WG tapped? Tell me not the FPR line

Dustin
Old 10-26-2001, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody ever wonder why Deltagate sucks? (dustin)

If you get rid of the drag manifold you have to get rid of the DP you have too. Where do you have the pressure port for your WG tapped? Tell me not the FPR line

Dustin
oh come on man, how long have i been here? lol, Anyways I've had it tapped at the compressor, then tried the top of the throttle body going to the charcoal canister and then the pipe after the intercooler. All I have to do is cut the dp then reweld it.
Old 10-27-2001, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I have to do is cut the dp then reweld it.
hehe I left my mig welder in my other set of pants.
Old 10-27-2001, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody ever wonder why Deltagate sucks? (dustin)

ha, well i finally got it installed and the downpipe wasn't exactly cut and weld like they said it was, i needed to add about 2" or so. Mind you I have a full 3" setup with no cat, What can I say GOT NO BOOST CREEP? even with the deltagate! I have the lowest springs for both these wastegates, I get a solid 3lbs with the deltagate and tial 4lbs on low boost!!