Notices

Any of you guys using a Vibrant catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any of you guys using a Vibrant catch can?

I've been getting my car ready to go to the dyno and finally get it tuned and I have ran into another snag.. I thought the factory Honda PCV system would be fine to use.. I have read that it's not due to all the crank case pressure..

Ironically during my build I replaced the black box and all the components with new OEM Honda stuff and spent a pretty penny doing it.

Now I am stuck with where in the hell am I going to mount this thing and if i do the fittings on the back of the block I would have rather done them with the engine out of the car, etc.

So this is an after thought and it's been stressing me out..

I was at my local shop High velocity motorsports and seen an older supra with this Vibrant catch can on it and really liked the way it looked and it appears to be higher quality than some of the stuff you see on eBAY.

Vibrant Performance 12695 | Buy Vibrant Performance Universal Oil Breather Catch Can Tanks at JEGS

My question is I guess it's personal preference if i want to vent off the valve cover or off the back of the block?

Would this catch can be sufficient enough for whatever I choose to do?

Setup is
- 84mm Benson sleeved type r
- 9:7:1 CP pistons, eagle rods
- BRMS Ram horn manifold
- TGA 6157 turbo

on 93 octane looking to hit 500whp.. just trying to make sure the crank case is vented properly
Old 07-05-2016, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Any of you guys using a Vibrant catch can?

I would definetly go catch can at those power levels, there was a recent thread where this was debated. I would agree its preference between back of block or VC. back of the block plugs arnet very hard to access once the intake manifold is off

I prefer a vented can tho, bandrfittings makes a few nice choices
Old 07-06-2016, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Something is better than nothing. It may be cheaper, and may be able to have it setup faster running them off back of the block. Versus paying an aluminum welder and waiting on his/ her schedule.

Defenitely easier running off the valve cover tho
Old 07-06-2016, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Id just run 2 off the valve cover. Easiest way. Really shouldn't cost much to get it welded and the bungs are $4 each.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:47 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old GSR (owned by my friend now) is getting this BWR catch can setup. It might be worth looking into - its a vented, 4-port breather setup that fits in the batter tray and comes with all the necessary fittings for the VC and block ports

BLACKWORKS OIL CATCH CAN KIT COMBO
Old 07-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Id just run 2 off the valve cover. Easiest way. Really shouldn't cost much to get it welded and the bungs are $4 each.

Lol. Depends on where you are I guess. I got quoted over $120 to weld on 2 bungs from the local "reputable" machine shop. Ended up buying a tap and using bulkhead fittings without the back nut. Drilled/tapped/sealed with epoxy. Worked perfect.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Aradin
Lol. Depends on where you are I guess. I got quoted over $120 to weld on 2 bungs from the local "reputable" machine shop. Ended up buying a tap and using bulkhead fittings without the back nut. Drilled/tapped/sealed with epoxy. Worked perfect.
That's pretty ridiculous. They must not know TIG or farm it out
Old 07-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I here you man. I can't even find anyone local to me to weld aluminum. I would love to buy a tig welder and learn myself, but that's quit an investment.

What fittings did you use on your valve cover? Got a pic?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
That's pretty ridiculous. They must not know TIG or farm it out
IIRC, they wanted to completely removed the baffling to do it. I specifically explained to them in detail that they didn't need to, but they insisted. They may have just been ignorant or were trying to milk money out of me.

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
I here you man. I can't even find anyone local to me to weld aluminum. I would love to buy a tig welder and learn myself, but that's quit an investment.

What fittings did you use on your valve cover? Got a pic?
I just used some -10AN bulkhead fittings. I believe I used a 7/8 -14 tap but don't quote me exactly on that. Sealed everything with 3M epoxy and it worked perfect. Could only get about 2-3 threads in the valve cover itself but it was enough for the fittings to snug up. I got everything including lines, fittings and can from a hose/fitting supply company off of eBay. It worked great. I installed it all under the baffling so it didn't get full of oil on heavy acceleration.

This is the last pic of that setup I have before I switched to H series. If I run a catch can setup again I'll do it the same way.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, they wanted to completely removed the baffling to do it. I specifically explained to them in detail that they didn't need to, but they insisted. They may have just been ignorant or were trying to milk money out of me.

I just used some -10AN bulkhead fittings. I believe I used a 7/8 -14 tap but don't quote me exactly on that. Sealed everything with 3M epoxy and it worked perfect. Could only get about 2-3 threads in the valve cover itself but it was enough for the fittings to snug up. I got everything including lines, fittings and can from a hose/fitting supply company off of eBay. It worked great. I installed it all under the baffling so it didn't get full of oil on heavy acceleration.

This is the last pic of that setup I have before I switched to H series. If I run a catch can setup again I'll do it the same way.
Nice thanks for the info man
Old 07-06-2016, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when I did my VC it cost me about 160, but that was drilling the holes welding in 2 fittings and then welding in a baffle that I had created.

Some machine shops may be afraid to get metal shavings lost underneath the baffle and potentially destroying your motor if they find their way out so I taped the baffle up to help keep debris out of the baffle
Attached Images   

Last edited by 2kdrift; 07-06-2016 at 10:04 PM.