Notices

Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions

Old 06-10-2002, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions

I have finally paid off all of my debt, and now have 2 jobs in which most of my money will be going into my 95 Civic Ex.
I decided NOT to swap an engine. So I am sticking with the D16Z.
What I want to do is possibly piece together a Turbo setup... or does anyone think its better to buy a kit first, then upgrade?? Im trying to save money.
My car tech ability is a beginner, I am learning as I go, but I like to research everything before doing anything.
From what I read, it looks like 6psi is a safe bet for a stock D16z. Is this true?
What is realistic wHP will I get from 6psi?
I plan on using an Intercooler no matter what.
After the turbo is setup, I plan on upgrading the internals of the D16z, and then slowly adding more boost..max out at around 12psi(is this too conservative?) but this will be a year long process.
I am going to order the Helms manual to learn more about the engine. I want to do as much work myself as possible... to learn.
Also, what sucks about my Civic is that it came with Auto-trans.. yuck!!! I want Manual trans... has anyone paid for this conversion?
Im happy that I will finally have money to start working on my car, I want to take my time and do it right. I know the D16z is a little bit fragile, but I know it can be strengthend. Anyhelp would be very much appreciated... Thank you all.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions (SEVENSIX)

well i can help with some of your questions. I have a 00 civic ex with the greddy turbo kit on it. If your not looking for anything outrageous i would go with this kit. It's nice it emissions friendly and pushes some nice power. First, if you build up your internals(low compression pistons and stronger rods) you'll easily push 10 psi daily and 12psi at the track and if you want you can resleeve the block and push up to 18psi and run 12's. And if you want to get a little wilder you can bump up displacement to 1.8L. Also if you plan on that I would get a new fuel pump-255lph. You can get stock 450 injectors from an eclipse and resistor box. If you want 12psi you'll need a new map sensor cause the stock one will pop. If you can afford it i would also get the Hondata stage 2b, i know it's costly but it's well worth the money if you have somebody tune it for you. Main thing is proper tuning and enough fuel to the motor. Secondly, don't sleep on the automatic. If you plan on just for the streets, swap to a maual. But if you take it to the track, build your automatic and you'll run anybody that has what you have even if they have a manual. You'll little to no wheel spin, you'll never miss a shift, almost no turbo lag in between shifts, i hope you see what i'm getting at. Turbo's and automatics go hand and hand.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions (autoEXturbo)

Thanks for the info.
I plan on keeping it street running. The Greddy kit looks really good for something to start off with. I owned a manual trans. car before my Civic, and I keep on trying to shift gears all of the time.. But your right, Turbo does really nice with Auto, I drove a modified Eclipse GST with Auto and it was quick!
BTw, this is a really stupid question, but is there a Flywheel on Auto Tranny cars? This shows how little I know...
Old 06-10-2002, 08:07 AM

fly wheels are on everthing how do you think your car starts. the fly wheel has the teeth on it. (hope i did not sound mean)
Old 06-10-2002, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions (CovertFI)

thanks, I know that was a silly question, but for some reason I thought only Manual Tranny cars had Flywheels...na' you didn't sound mean, you answered the question. Thanks!!
Old 06-10-2002, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions (autoEXturbo)

First, if you build up your internals(low compression pistons and stronger rods) you'll easily push 10 psi daily and 12psi at the track
With proper fuel/ignition setup, you can run 10-12psi on the stock bottom end like I do..

You're biggest achilies heel will be the auto tranny. Honda is not known for making the strongest auto trannies, especially when exposed to high power adders. Just food for thought..
Old 06-10-2002, 08:46 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

fly wheels are on everthing how do you think your car starts. the fly wheel has the teeth on it. (hope i did not sound mean)
Actually, the part with the teeth is the ring gear. Auto's use what's called a flexplate.

[Modified by DSF, 12:46 PM 6/10/2002]
Old 06-10-2002, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the info.
I think I have a plan now.
My max power goal is 220wHp.
I will start with the Greddy Turbo Kit and keep it @ 6psi, +Fuel and Ignition upgrades + exhaust.
Then I will move onto the internals during the Fall of 2002.
Once that is complete, I will bring up the boost to 12psi or whatever seems appropriate. Since I live 15min's from Summit Racing, I will start going there more often.
As far as exhaust, what do most of you prefer, buy a whole cat-back system? or buy a performance muffler and have a shop weld a pipe?? And, what do you guys recomend, a 2.5" or 3" pipe??

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-10-2002, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3", and you better beef up that auto tranny or you're 220whp Civic is gonna last very long!
Old 06-10-2002, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions (VTC_CiViC)

VTC_CiViC,

What are ways to strengthen the Auto-Tranny?

Thanks for your help
Old 06-10-2002, 10:35 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not VTC-CiViC, but...

http://www.levelten.com/
Old 06-10-2002, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions (DSF)

DSF,

Thanks for the link!

Old 06-10-2002, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought autos had a special plate on it that acted like a flywheel but has a lot of holes in it? That's why they ask for manual or auto trans when you order a starter. But if it's still a flywheel it's a flywheel.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:42 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions (technine)

read my post above.
Old 06-11-2002, 04:45 AM

. Turbo's and automatics go hand and hand.
the only problem with this is that Honda Automatics Suck,they have no aftermarket upgrade parts for them,ie valve bodies,converters etc and they're weak as compared to the Honda 5sp..id say Turbo's and TH400s and Powerglides go hand and hand...those are the only auto's id use behind a turbo..now if i can only figure out how to fit one in my Honda
Old 06-11-2002, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions (D-Man)

actually you are very wrong about not making anything to upgrade the honda automatic. Level ten makes an arsenal of stuff for the automatic. A complete rebuild kit, valve body, torque converter. Hell just go on their website and you'll see what i mean. There are some things out there and if not you could always go to a performance transmission shop and get things done, might cost a little bit, but those 5spd's won't know what hit them. But the automatic is the weak link, i believe i pulled such slow times due to it. It doesn't want to change gears and i have to let off the gas to make it change which will cost time till it's built.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:01 PM

Since there is such a large problem with swapping the 5sp in an Auto Ex, I will stick with the Auto.
However, since Im planning on only running under 12psi with a focus on midrange power and no racing, do you think modifying the tranny will be of any concern in the long run??
I do drive a little fast, but im talking just quick accel. up to 35,45 or 50 for very short periods of time, basicly in-town driving, where im not mashing it down all the way up to redline.
To be honest, im trying to match the performance of a 97 Mitsubishi GST. Any other thoughts, all of your comments have helped me quite a bit.
Thank you.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:44 PM

I have a 94 Civic Ex with an automatic tranny. I have a greddy turbo kit on my car and I'm running 7 psi on stock internals and no mods to the tranny. I got my car tuned and I put down 160hp @ the wheels and 152 lbs of torque. If I had a 5 speed, those numbers would be a lot higher, but I'm still happy with how my car performs. I beat my friends 2002 MR2 Spyder, stock they run a 15.1 in the 1/4 mile, and he has a cold air intake and exhaust.....so I know Im in the 14's. I plan on doing the 5 speed swap this august when I have the time to do it. If you dont want to hassel with doing the swap, my advice would be to go to a junk yard and get a torque converter off a 92-95 civic ex and then send it to level 10 to get mod'd. If I decide not to do the swap, thats what Im gonna do. But no matter what you decide on doing, having a turbo is cool no matter what. I think everyone with a turbo here will agree with me when saying that hearing it spool up then hearing the blow off valve is the coolest thing in the world...plus having a front mount intercooler gets tons of looks. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 06-11-2002, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions (Licensed2Spool)

Thanks Licensed2Spool,
Im glad you posted the data also. I was wondering what type of power I would be looking at with 6psi. Ive read so many negative comments about swapping that I really am just leaving it as a last thought in my setup.
When I have completed everything as far as turbo and engine I will see if I feel up to swapping the tranny or modding the auto. Ive checked out Level10 and it looks very promising.
Thanks for the help!!!

Old 06-11-2002, 10:31 PM

I have Greddy Turbo Kits with Greddy IC on my 98 Civic Ex (SOHC).. The Greddy turbo is 2 years old and there is no problem at all... First of all, I bought it from my friend James from HOuston.. He installed it for me.. My civic is fully upgraded.. It had ACT clutch SS with Extreme Pressure disc and Dx Tranny for longer gear.. Also It had Hayame Fuel Rail with GSR injectors to add more fuel and put BBK fuel pump... My car running with APex N1 exhaust catback and it is 2.75 inch piping.. It run 6 pound of boost.. IT seem pretty quick and it is better then buying aftermarket bolt on like Header, intake, and other parts.. SO I bought Profec B boost controller and I crank up 10 pound of boost with stock internal.. There is no problem at all... My friend will install the Greddy 2.0 MM thickheadgasket to keep the compression lower.. IF you have any question let me know... Thanks for reading my story...
Old 06-11-2002, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions (JDM EX)

Oh yeah one more thing, I have Greddy Oil cooler kit on it.. It help the oil cool and wont hurt the turbo... ANything else you need to know!!!
Old 06-11-2002, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions (JDM EX)

JDM EX,

Thanks for your help, your setup sounds very good!!!
Do you use a fuel managment system with your setup?
Since I dont plan on racing, will the Apexi AVC_R work fine, or should I get something else???

Thank you.

Old 06-11-2002, 11:00 PM

WEll I heard lots of people have problem with AVCR... I heard there are good things of boost controller is Profec B... Well I dont know about fuel management system.. What is it and what it do...
Old 06-12-2002, 04:57 AM

well at 5 psi i beat a gst eclipse, so you will not have any problem doing that. Also if you plan on running close to 12psi i would get a new map sensor cause the stock one will pop. You can get that from hondata. Also, i would recommend getting the PTS kit from levelten, it's about 300 bucks now vs. spending a hell of alot more to rebuild or buy a new tranny. Honestly don't waste your money on getting a digital boost controller. Get a manual boost controller and put it inside the engine compartment so that you won't mess with it and push it to much. Trust me, i've had friends who had cobra's get next to them and then start turning that *** or pushing buttons and then boom, the fry their motors. The main thing you need is fine tuning and lots of fuel managment. You can easily run 10psi on stock internals with the right amount of fuel and tuning, but go to someone who is good and make sure you know that they are as good as they say, cause you get what you pay for.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:29 AM

True, very true autoEXturbo
I will save for the tranny stuff.
Unfortunately, I live in an area that is dominated by domestic performance shops as well as a 10:1 ratio of domestic over Import cars. Too many F-bodys and Mustangs all with Confederate Flags and "No Fear" stickers....
There is one Import Shop here and I heard they rip people off and steal the stuff they install on other cars...
Im sure there will be someplace hidden that can help.
Once I start putting this stuff on in July and Aug, I will take pictures and document everything.
Thanks!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Turbo'd D16z people out there? I have some questions