Notices

Any thoughts on Nippon Racing pistons for D16?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts on Nippon Racing pistons for D16?

Hello!
I've read a lot of Nippon Racing vs YCP and so on discussions here and on d-series.org but all of them are too old.

Just looking if someone have tried the oh-so-controversial chinese Nippon Racing pistons. Those would be installed on a D16 DOHC ZC engine, due to the big combustion chamber, I can't use YCP Vitaras. The goal is to reach ~350 crank HP or so, I think those pistons would work fine.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Any thoughts on Nippon Racing pistons for D16?

From what Ive heard they work fine but when building a block I say spend the couple extra hundred and get some real pistons, worth every penny why cut corners... do it right the first time
Old 03-30-2016, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
From what Ive heard they work fine but when building a block I say spend the couple extra hundred and get some real pistons, worth every penny why cut corners... do it right the first time
I'd agree to this.

Those Nippons do have a nice fat ringland which I'm sure would hold up. If you ran into any issues tuning though, I think you'd be better off with a forged piston. I don't know how many people actually have experience with them- but a lot of people recommend them for all motor over forced induction application. One person I saw noted the difference in aluminum quality/strength. YCP used AC8 grade aluminum whereas Nippon uses a more common and less durable aluminum? I guess it's a plus to be higher compression though. I am using Wiseco forged pistons (8.8:1) in my D16 build, but wish I'd have found a higher CR setup.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your advices 2kdrift and bergercurtis!

Here were I live, is very difficult to buy any "import" piston like CP, Wiseco, JE, etc. Due to our customs limitations, but I can get the Nippon Racing ones. Also, CP/JE doesn't have any piston for my application because of the big combustion chamber of my engine (Z6 or Y8 pistons will drop CR less than 8:1) and I'm looking a CR between 8.5 and 9.5

Anyways, I will try to get some CP or JE. Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2016, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the DOHC ZC is a weird animal. I don't know if you plan to do so, but you might be able to deck the head/block some to raise it.. Then you'd need adjustable cam gears though. I think it'd be easier just to get a higher CR piston/rod setup, but it's up to you. 350 crank isn't too high. I can't imagine you're straining them too much. What fuel are you going to use?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I'm afraid on decking the head or block since it's a rare engine here. Actually, my engine was built 3 years ago, and lasted that 3 years on a heavy foot over the gas pedal. Piston 3 melted after 22.000km, an injector failed or something, because that was the only one broken, on 17-18psi of a Garrett GT28RS.

Engine was built with SUPER MEGA HIPER chinese pistons, chinese as the printed model on the piston head says MP6 instead of PM6 hahaha.