Notices

Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU

Old 11-06-2001, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU

Just checked my mail box. In it I found this months new issue of Stupid Street. Opened to page 13 and saw AEM's new product, I guess the one they have been advertising for. For everyone that hasn't seen or doesnt get any mags with their ads. Also I just checked their site, and they havent updated with the newest products yet.
This here is the info. given for the Race System..........

-User configurable Windows software
-Onboard Datalogging
-Comes with complete libraby of tuning tips and system design
-User programmable inputs and outputs
-Up to 10 cylinder sequential fuel injection with individual cylinder trim
-Up to 10 cylinder wasted spark distributorless ignition with individual sylinder trim
-Boost control
-Comprehensive Nitrous control
-Twin O2 sensor closed loop control (Wide range, and UEGO)
-Comprehensive easy to follow wiring instructions
-Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) feedback
-Idle motot control
-Extensive Electronic Automatic transmission control capability
-16/32 high speed processor
-User friendly manual
-Twin knock sensor control

Looks pretty good, what are your guys opinions??
Old 11-06-2001, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (93LSivic)

processor speed isnt that important i dont think as my old skool DFI keeps up just fine, as long as every aspect of tuning ie - fuel, ignition, etc.. are programmable with some correction factor I guess it will be a good system. I like DFI because it is cheap and simple. the part that really interests me about the AEM system is the up to 10 cylinder SFI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is a huge option on DFI. now lets wait for the price of this unit. I tried f***g for years with the bank injection DFI with a Vette harness to make the bank to bank for a V8 a sequential for an I4.
cheers,
Old 11-06-2001, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (rtype11)

I saw it at the SEMA show in Vegas. Looks like a realy cool plug&play tuning tool, but it will not sold befor February. We talked much about this system and of course AEM say it is the best. They technical guy said it is better than Motec I can´t believe it. We will see when the system is out. I think we can compare it to the Hondata system.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (austrian ITR)

Anyone know the retail for it?
Old 11-06-2001, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (Etylorcen)

about 1800 USD
Old 11-06-2001, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (austrian ITR)

Is that for the race system or the plug and play system. Also it says it is compatable with boost but "adapting hardware required for non-factory forced induction vechicles." What does that mean? Whoever talked to someone at sema about this, spill your guts, give us the details. THANKS
Old 11-06-2001, 01:36 PM
New User

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (2K_TEG)

-Well I dont know if its going to be *better* than Motec, but I do know that they use Motec in Steph's new civic so they at least have direc experience with it.

- The $1800 is MSRP so street price will most likely be less than that, putting it in direct competition with an equivalent Hondata unit.

- And as for the "Adapting" hardware required I am guessing its refering to a new MAP sensor (stock honda ones are only capable of reading up to something like 11.4 psi of bosot I believe), which would be needed with ANY high end engine management for a high-boost application

Personally I am optimistic about this and if my guesses come true, I'll prolly have the plug n' play system in my car.

-Jeff
Old 11-06-2001, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im in the new issue of super street in the crew corner..... havent seen the mag in person yet but some of my team members have seen it already...what this has to do with the post? i dont even know....bleh
Old 11-06-2001, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what is the difference going to be between the plug and play and the race system? Is the plug and play sufficient for those with the DRAG kit or something equivilent or will we need the race system. Also what is the price for the plug and play id the 1800 is for the race?
Old 11-06-2001, 02:46 PM
New User

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (2K_TEG)

From the looks of it the Race system is not going to be plug and play. In other words it would require signifigant re-wiring of the car.

My guess is the PnP version should be enough for most of us. I heard someone liken it to a Hondata Stage 4B.

Again this is all guesswork, I dont have any inside information
Old 11-06-2001, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (2FastSi)

Overboost stated that in Steph's new civic coupe, he uses the AEM computer.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:00 PM
New User

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (Gmedalion)

Then one of three things has happened:
1) Overboost is Wrong
2) They have switched engine management systems when the AEM one got out of
R&D.
3) AEM is Lying

I will go with 1 or 2, but I have seen the Motec system in the car with my own eyes and its kinda hard to miss those little gold boxes
Old 11-06-2001, 04:09 PM
New User

I think it will be a good product if it can match Hondata on price and performance. I doubt it will be as good or better than Motec.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (97CivicFerio)

Hey, if it makes a honda easier, and more reliable to turbocharge, I am all for it! The pics in SCC did look nice.

The ECU shown in the mag uses OBD2 sockets. It would be nice not having to have a bunch of wiring harness adaptors.

Plus, while OBD2 does throw more error codes, it would also allow for more accurate engine managment. It does detect individual cylinder misfires and other good stuff that OBD1 can't do.

I also like the fact it will come with the different "librarys" Standalone systems scare me cuz they require tuning from the ground up. Not much of a base to start from.

[Modified by HXMan, 10:16 PM 11/6/2001]
Old 11-07-2001, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then one of three things has happened:
1) Overboost is Wrong
2) They have switched engine management systems when the AEM one got out of
R&D.
3) AEM is Lying
I will go with 1 or 2, but I have seen the Motec system in the car with my own eyes and its kinda hard to miss those little gold boxes
or 4. Motec makes it for them.

Someone is making these ECU's that has experience in it, and it ain't AEM, so they're rebadging someone elses work. Motec isn't the kind of company that you would associate with this, but they have the technology and resources to put out the product.

Whatever company is making these things has probably created the plug and play one, and just relabeled one of their standard offerings as the RACE version.

Just because it uses an OBD 2 socket doesn't mean it's going to have OBD 2 functionality. It's definitely not going to have the same diagnostic error codes or even error checking that the stock OBD2 ECU has.

[Modified by DirtyLude, 6:16 AM 11/7/2001]
Old 11-07-2001, 08:42 AM
New User

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (DirtyLude)

Its a GEMS based ECU. The guy who is working for AEM, Jason Siebels, used to market an ECU called the ProEFI. Its a pretty good system. I like it a lot actually. Only problem is Jason - he's an F-ing @ssh0le. I browse a wide variety of boards and email lists and he is the only vendor I have seen call some one stupid, in front of 80 other customers/potentials.

I would stay away from it because if you do not know how to tune really well, you WILL (not might) blow your engine and because Jason just sucks. And its over prived. You can get the same performance from an Autronic SMC (500 cheaper) or even just get a real GEMS ECU. Still save a buttload. Of course you will have to fab a wiring harness, but it you can't do that, you have no business buying a stand alone
Old 11-07-2001, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (GGrahnVI)

Finally, an OBD-II friendly standalone!! Can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Think this is gonna require a "dealer" to do the tuning, or will it be something the avg. Joe (like me) will be able to handle (the tuning).?
Old 11-07-2001, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (VTC_CiViC)

from what the magazine articles are claiming it is easily tunebale for avg joe. IT comes with couple of pre mapped ragnes and you modify based on that.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's good info, thanks.

Ya, just get a regular standalone and make it plug and play. It took me about two hours of cutting and soldering to make my $1100.00 Haltech E6K into OBD 2 Plug and Play. Of course you need to find a burnt ECU or just trash your own ECU to salvage the female connector.
http://www.higginstribe.com/gallery/...connector2.jpg http://www.higginstribe.com/gallery/...connector4.jpg

Fully on the fly programmable standalone ECU for $1100.00 not including the MAP sensor, of course.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:34 AM
New User

Finally, an OBD-II friendly standalone!!
There is no such thing. OBDII by nature is only compatible with it self. The Average joe will NOT be able to tune this, no matter what AEM says. I have used it. If you have never done this before or even done more then once, run with a fist full of cash to someone that does. Other wise, save that cash, and all your other cash for all the motors you will cash too many?
Old 11-07-2001, 10:57 AM
New User

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (GGrahnVI)

I don't think you understand... When this ECU goes in, the car will no longer BE OBD-II. The factory ECU will be GONE so compatibility is not an issue. I believe the whole "obd-II friendly" idea is that it will plug straight into the factory wiring harness. Hondata is by comparison NOT "obd-II friendly" because hondata does not eliminate the factory ECU, it is just an extensive reprogram, which happens to only work with OBD-I and therefore requires any OBD-II owners to buy an OBD-I ecu before they can use it. The AEM (or any other true standalone) will be "plug-and-play" for any model car and thus will not carry a $300+ cost penalty for any of us with post-'96 ECUs.

Old 11-07-2001, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (dbman96)

Since we're on the subject of new engine management, has anyone seen the new Greddy product?

I remember seeing a link to it somewhere but the page was in Japanese so I left. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old 11-07-2001, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (AshlandSi)

The E-Manage is just another piggyback. Like a super V-AFC.
Old 11-07-2001, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU (DirtyLude)

No actually the E-manage is more of a complete fuel controller, like a standalone.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:36 PM

Greddy or AEM need to not forget about use non-OBD people. pleasepleaseplease. These two products do look interesting though. I'll wait for the ginea pigs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any thoughts on new AEM standalone ECU