Notices

Any JRSC'd GSR's out there??? Help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any JRSC'd GSR's out there??? Help me out!

I've come across a some-what incomplete kit for a 94-01 GSR. I REALLY need some pics of all the brackets and pullys - Disasembeled or assembeld - specificly the alternator bracket and the bracets under the SC itself.

I THOUGHT I had everything - and 9 hours in, and almost done, we find out that my Alternator Pully (the double one from the kit) sits out about 1/2 an inch too far toward the driver side... so that pullys wont line up with the SC pully or the crank. Also, the belt from Alt to SC is WAY to tight - even WITHOUT the tensioner pully touching it!

Since there is no way you can make the blower pully stick OUT more, or make the alt pully go IN more, we had to scrap the whole thing and RE-install all the stock crap - and all you GSR people know how fun it is to install the GSR's intake manifold...

Long story short - wasted 17 hours - mechanic pissed off - and I have a JRSC I cant use b/c I cant seem to find what parts im missing/have the wrong parts

I think i got a wrong alternator bracket - I'll post some pics when I get a chance...

ANYONE????? I need some pics to see whats goin on! NA sucks
Old 03-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they have some pics in the more info links here: http://www.supercharger.com/Sh...43173
Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Brad)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1214810

296 pages.... I am sure what you are looking for is in there
Old 03-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostedEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they have some pics in the more info links here: http://www.supercharger.com/Sh...43173</TD></TR></TABLE>

Link dosent seem to work for me, I think thier site is down....
EDIT - got it, thanks. Cant seem to find any close up pics tho...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1214810

296 pages.... I am sure what you are looking for is in there </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeha I've checked most of this out - I'll admit I didn't read it all, but I skimmed it all - and didnt really find anything about people with my specific problem... Some one PLZ correct me if I missed it...

And I got a chance to take some pics:
Heres my Brackets for the pully fomr SC to ALT:

And heres the Alternator Bracket with the tensioner for the ALT to Crank belt...

And heres the charger with a little triangle bracket at the back - WHich I dont know what its for...

Anyone got any ideas????
Or any pics of thier Alt bracket's from the 94-01 GSR kit? (the 2nd pic...)
Thanks
Old 03-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Jim @ Mototrvations. 205-661-3600
Old 03-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HYREV2NR)

will do. Who should I say sent me? You think this guy will be willing to help me out? It's not like he's making any cash off me - Maybe its just an NJ thing, but around here mechanics don't like to help ya unless you either know them personally or they can make money off you - I'll give Jim a shot tho...
Old 03-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tonyl507)

Bump for some pics
Old 03-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Tonyl507)

Just tell him a wierd long haired guy w/ a Yellow Teg sent you. He'll know.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Any JRSC'd GSR's out there??? Help me out! (Tonyl507)

I think that you have the wrong alternator pulley. The one that you have looks like an Endyn stepper pulley, it's for raising the boost above 6 PSI. Most of the Endyn pulleys fit correctly, but it could be an ITR pulley, they had different pulleys than GSR's. Jim at Motorvations actually has custom pulleys made for the alternator that are pretty good, I've used them and like them. If you just want stock boost, then order the stock pulley for your kit.

Belt sizing with custom pulleys varies, I'd just take your belt to an auto parts store and find one that's a little bigger if yours is too tight.

Tha alternator bracket is the same for all the B-series VTEC kits, as is the upper tensioner assembly in your top picture.

The little triangle bracket is for a brace that bolts to it and the alternator mount casting, I believe the part # is 051-421. The brace helps prevent the manifold from cracking and it's cheap, I'd buy it.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any JRSC'd GSR's out there??? Help me out! (rmcdaniels)

good info - I'll look inot the pully differances... But, even if it was a different pully, there is no reason why it shouldn't line up Left-to-right. I could see if it lined up, but the belt didnt fit or something - but the fact that its off too far toward the driver side worrys me.

Check this out: I was looking in the directions for the charger and I was looking at my stuff....
This is from the directions:

And this is mine:

Notice the differance??? Mine dosent have the extra bolt out the side for the bracket to the supercahrger.... Which leads me to beleive its the wrong bracket.

Come on Honda-tech, Someones GOT TO have a pic of thier alt bracket for a JRSC so i can tell which kit mine is from

And thanks to you guys who helped so far
Old 03-28-2007, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Talk to Joe. (PM Streetwerkz.) He knows alot about SOHC and DOHC honda superchargers.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the pulley has a different offset, then it will stick out farther. ITR and GSR pulleys have a different offset. Some of the early Endyn pulleys were also known to have fitment issues.

The older kits didn't come with the back brace so they didn't have the extra mount point for it. Dimensionally all B-series VTEC alternator brackets are the same, they are the same part number.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the pulley has a different offset, then it will stick out farther. ITR and GSR pulleys have a different offset. Some of the early Endyn pulleys were also known to have fitment issues.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What about alternator size//shape?

The belt from the SC to the ALT was too far over toward the passenger side (Hence why the whole alternator stuck out toward the driver side) Anyway the belt was touching the alternator... Even if the pully was wrong - the belt was still hanging too close to the alternator. Thats why I think it was the bracket... Or I had a wrong type of alternator... (I was using a LS alternator, but I heard LS and GSR's had the same size alt...)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The older kits didn't come with the back brace so they didn't have the extra mount point for it. Dimensionally all B-series VTEC alternator brackets are the same, they are the same part number.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe I got a older bracket - but my SC definitly has a spot to mount the bracket from teh newer models.... See the triangle bracket attached to the SC in the 3rd pic???

What I think happened is I got a lower alt bracket from a Single cam...

Oh, and you re-use the upper alternaor bracket in the JRSC kits, correct?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dimensionally all B-series VTEC alternator brackets are the same,
But are all non-VTEC and VTEC the same? b18B Vs b18C???
Old 03-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just looked it up on the Web site and the B18A/B lower mount is the same as the VTEC mount.

GSR, LS, and ITR alternator part numbers are all different, but I think the main difference is that ITR's have Mitsubishi alternators vice Denso alternators for other Integras.

My belt on my B20 is very close to the alternator, but the pulley actually goes down over the top of the alternator and it all lines up correctly.

Another problem is that all the JRSC B-series alternators mounts are a bit off, pushing the alternator out a bit too far, maybe 1/8". In the later kits they include some shim washers for the upper alternator brace to correct it.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think that you have the wrong alternator pulley. The one that you have looks like an Endyn stepper pulley, it's for raising the boost above 6 PSI. Most of the Endyn pulleys fit correctly</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tonyl507 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And heres the charger with a little triangle bracket at the back - WHich I dont know what its for...

Anyone got any ideas????
Or any pics of thier Alt bracket's from the 94-01 GSR kit? (the 2nd pic...)
Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tha alternator bracket is the same for all the B-series VTEC kits, as is the upper tensioner assembly in your top picture.

The little triangle bracket is for a brace that bolts to it and the alternator mount casting, I believe the part # is 051-421. The brace helps prevent the manifold from cracking and it's cheap, I'd buy it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tonyl507 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Talk to Joe. (PM Streetwerkz.) He knows alot about SOHC and DOHC honda superchargers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not nearly as much as RMCDANIELS.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any JRSC'd GSR's out there??? Help me out! (STREETWERKZ)

But I really don't know much about SOHC JRSC kits, I'm only a B-series stunna.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But I really don't know much about SOHC JRSC kits, I'm only a B-series stunna.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sohc kits are so cake to install.

i can practically do it in my sleep if the kit is complete.

my new build is my first B series supercharger kit. but it looks almost as easy.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any JRSC'd GSR's out there??? Help me out! (STREETWERKZ)

wow, guess I found the 2 local JRSC people to talk to, thanks for the help -

but I'm still stuck - Heres the deal. My kit has a FRESHly rebuilt GSR supercharger,
BUT: Its missing some brackets (as noted above), it MIGHT have a wrong alt bracket, and it MIGHT have the wrong pully installed.

Also, The manifold section has its own issues.... There is about a 5 inch crack in teh manifold that was welded... Weld looks OK, but I dunno if i wanna risk it.

PLUS, the little butterfly valve thing - (forget the name...bypass something?? looks like a mini Throttlebody..) is stuck open. The guy who I got the kit from has it held open with a ziptie! I'll take pics in a sec.

Anyway, seems like alot of trouble to me, I got the kit Very cheap, and the blower is, in fact, good as new. I'm thinking I'll ebay it - pass the probs. off to someone else who has the time/patienace to deal with it.

JRSC kits for b - series commonly go for 1500+ on ebay, and mine has a new blower, im pretty confident I can get 1500+ (a new blower by itself costs 1600)

So im thinking I just flip it for whatever I can get an just buy a new kit from Jackson for the 2200 or whatever. Cost 700 more - but it will definitly work, PLus i think i need about 400 in parts to get my kit working, plus if the manifold cracks im done....

Whatda think?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Working kits with all the right pieces may go for over $1500, not sure what a kit with wrong or broken parts would go for.

My manifold has a few cracks that were welded. It still has a small hairline crack along one of the welds, but it's not enough to affect anything.

It sounds like somebody wanted to keep it from boosting, that's usually why people tie the bypass valve open. Mostly I see it from people who install it and haven't gotten to their tuner yet. Take the tie off of it and see if it closes the valve.

If I had a fresh blower and I got a deal on it, then I'd just piece the rest together. Roll -w- the welded mani until it cracks, get a new bypass valve ($50), lower mount ($80), and pulley ($60) if you need it, plus if you get a new lower mount then you can also get the rear brace for the blower ($14). That should help the manifold resist further cracking. If it gets really bad, then a new manifold is only $251, which kind of sucks as they used to be $200.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Working kits with all the right pieces may go for over $1500, not sure what a kit with wrong or broken parts would go for. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Working kits with all teh right used pieces - maybe I can get more cuz my SC is new? Even tho Im missing a few pieces? Anyway ebay never stops amazing me with how many dumb people there are out there....

Anyway, where can I get these parts? Best I can tell from Jackson, I'd need:

PART # PRICE Name
051-109 $60.00 Double Alternator Pulley
051-098 $230.00 Bypass Valve Assembly
051-421 $14.00 Bracket - Engine to Supercharger Brace
051-106 $80.00 Alternator Casting

(or would it be "999-050 $50.00 Bypass Valve" rather then the whole assembly?)

Are these nessasary? Like the Hose kit and the electrical assesory kit, etc?
988-500 $138.00 Electrical Connector Kit
988-900 $40.00 General Parts Kit
988-400 $96.00 Hose Bag

Seems like I can get hoses/connecters at Autozone for cheaper....

ALso, I don't knwo if I have all the spacers, etc.
I have plently of extra bolts/nuts/washers around, and I seem to have all the bearings and stuff for the pully tensiors, but are there any major spacers or anything you guys can think of that I will need?

Old 03-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd just replace the $50 actuator, but check it out first and make sure it's broken. I've never seen the actual valve break, but I have broken actuators.

For the nuts/bolts, I just use my big-*** bin of Honda bolts (they seem to multiply whenever I work on a car) or take a quick trip to Ace Hardware because they have a good metric selection. I go to Pep Boys for hoses and clamps, they have a pretty good selection and they stock the good fuel-injection style clamps that don't suck like regular hose clamps.

The connectors and electronics are for the engine management that is supplied with the kit (FMU and IAT resistor on a relay), which really sucks. Get a good engine management system (AEM, Hondata, Crome, Uberdata, etc.) if you are going to run boost.