Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Anti-surge upgrade for t3-t67 H.O.: Is it necessary for this situation?

Anti-surge upgrade for t3-t67 H.O.: Is it necessary for this situation?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti-surge upgrade for t3-t67 H.O.: Is it necessary for this situation?

I feel like whats happening needs to re-established.

if its anything like in that video, ....you could have a blown turbo. From i recall, compressor surge under throttle(like in the video) shows the sign of a blown turbo. Even Mac posted the vids of the sand hill climbers going through issue while under throttle tryin to climb.

edit: i was only able to find the video of the turbos exploding uphill.

can you post a boost plot of when this issue is happening. To see if the pressure is dragstically bouncing.

Last edited by ls joker; 02-26-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti-surge upgrade for t3-t67 H.O.: Is it necessary for this situation?

Once the weather drys out I will post a video and data log the event. If the turbo was blown pressure woundnt be stable and smooth from 3rd gear on...the Mac valve pwm brings the pressure up to 22psi and its steady from 3rd gear on
Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will try the intake manifold for the wastegate source also
Old 02-26-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by sleepencivic View Post
I will try the intake manifold for the wastegate source also
Wait, wait wait. using a solenoid.. Let me stop you there. I'm changing my statement. It was late last night,. Hang on.

Your wastegate source on the side needs to go to other side of the solenoid, AND split to tee off at the intake manifold, or a vacuum block that uses the brake booster as its main source. Do not hook the wastegate side source directly to the intake manifold. (I needed to clarify this, as it confers with Tony's statement that you posted)

The Wastegate source on the top needs its vacuum source directly to the solenoid itself. I'll include a diagram.

In the below photo there is a port on the bottom of the wastegate diaphragm and a port on top. Using this method on the 3 port solenoid, you see that now not only route it directly to the bottom port of the wastegate, but you also route that line to the solenoid AND a vacuum source of the Intake manifold.. (Do that, instead of using the "Tee" off of any compressor "nipple" on the turbocharger itself.
What this does is allows the bottom of the wastegate to see boost pressure at all times. Now I know what your thinking……if we do that than the wastegate will always be pushed open once we reach spring pressure, but since you “Tee’d” off that bottom port line, it will run the output of that “Tee’d” line to the boost control solenoid. The output of the solenoid itslef will then be run to top port on the wastegate diaphragm.

What happens is that now, the electronic boost control solenoid will be allowed to vary the amount of pressure that the top of the wastegate receives. In this method you’ll manipulate how much pressure is actually helping the spring to keep the gate closed.

What I'm saying is instead of side port of the gate going into an intercooler pipe itself. It's needs to be Tee'd between the both solenoid and the Intake manifold, OR a vacuum block that uses the brake booster as its main source of vacuum. DO NOT DIRECTLY PUT THE BOTTOM PORT LINE TO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD DIRECTLY.

Sorry about that, I re-read this later and it didn't seem clear based upon your response.
Attached Images   
Old 02-26-2018, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car is currently set up that way with the t at the wastegate bottom port.

So on my car currently before making any changes the wastegate pressure source comes off the intercooler pipe (which you say is bad) gets T d at bottom wastegate port with 4an T then goes to the Mac valve port 1 and port 2 on Mac valve goes to top port on wastegate.

Your reccomending that I configure it the same as it is but switch the pressure reference from the intercooler pipe to the brake booster line or intake manifold.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My statement was referring to the fact that I disconnected the Mac valve (pulled fuse and disconnected lines) to eliminate that as a reason for the flutter and only ran the pressure source from the intercooler to the bottom port of the wastegate and left the top port open like if I wasnt running the Mac valve at all.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:42 PM

Your reccomending that I configure it the same as it is but switch the pressure reference from the intercooler pipe to the brake booster line or intake manifold.
Yes. That's what I'm saying ...don't have anything hooked up to an intercooler pipe
Old 03-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only had a few min tonight to mess with the car...I Disconnected the wastegate lines to keep the wastegate shut at all times. With boost cut set as it was at 22 psi the surge/flutter is still present...so I can cross the wastegate reference causing the issue off the list.

Im tempted to put the gsr cams I have back in and see what it does.

Last edited by sleepencivic; 03-02-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Why not change the BOV completely first before going through all that to change camshafts. You're saying the BOV is with more than the wheel it takes to change camshaft?

I suppose. Some BOVs just aren't as sensitive as others but these camshafts do need a bov with a wide vacuum range
Old 03-02-2018, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
Why not change the BOV completely first before going through all that to change camshafts. You're saying the BOV is with more than the wheel it takes to change camshaft?

I suppose. Some BOVs just aren't as sensitive as others but these camshafts do need a bov with a wide vacuum range
I tried switching with a "newer" Tial Q bov off my S2k and put the correct spring in it...that was one of the first things I tried...what BOV are you running?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:06 AM

I tried switching with a "newer" Tial Q bov off my S2k and put the correct spring in it...that was one of the first things I tried...what BOV are you running?
I currently run an old-school GReddy Type R on the Integra with GSC cams.. The other two cars with GSCs run Turbosmart Raceports. They ran TiALs before and switched over to TurboSmart with better results. No change in spring. The Raceport goes right on without changing the TiAL flange so there's no need to re-weld anything.

i see very few TiAL BOVs with GSC Cams, now that I think about it.

I'm not sure what gringotegra (Myles ) runs on his, however, I don't think it's TiAL either.
Both companies use a wider range spring to compensate for vacuum of the GSC cams
Old 03-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome its worth a try!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Awesome its worth a try!
So you don't get confused..
Since most people want black. you want TS-0204-1104 as a female flange that fits your current TiAL. (blue is TS-0204-1103 I believe).

Hope that helps.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

their website is somewhat confusing on how to choose the proper spring pressure for the engines vacuum ratings...they dont have a range listed only one figure.

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
So you don't get confused..
Since most people want black. you want TS-0204-1104 as a female flange that fits your current TiAL. (blue is TS-0204-1103 I believe).

Hope that helps.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:21 PM

their website is somewhat confusing on how to choose the proper spring pressure for the engines vacuum ratings...they dont have a range listed only one figure.
That's the great part. You don't have to go through all that like with TiAL. Sometimes, too many choices is bad.

I went with the standard Type
spring and not the stiff spring from GReddy.