Notices

Another what if I had _____ , could I do ______ thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another what if I had _____ , could I do ______ thread.

Follow me through on this one. I am not trying to be one of those super creative dudes who come up with some of the weirdest **** for ideas. I'm serious about this one. I think it may work just fine. So here it goes.

If I had an additional injector controller, which is manufactured by a reputable company, that controls two injectors (however, this particular controller can actually control 4 addtional injectors) via two different 3D maps that are based on the typical <U>rpm</U> and <U>manifold pressure</U> readings, would you say that it is good up to 10 psi of boost?

This has nothing to do with an FMU, nor does it have anything to do with tricking sensors (a missing link may be needed though). I THINK the processor within the controller is just as fast as any OEM ecu if not faster (It would almost have to be if it controls injectors which require high speed signaling). This controller is ultra precision, and can control large injectors (Bosch or Lucas; either high or low impedence).

Well, is it good to 10 psi? What do you think?

P.S.- Don't f##kin' bash me here. I am making a good approach with this. It's not like I am asking if a piece of crap fmu is good or not. I'm asking about a potent device that is VERY cost effective, and one that is built with what seems to be very fine quality. This device has been used on many expensive vehicles with very low miles for the purposes of forced induction fuel supply. However, if you just have to bash me, then go ahead. LOL
Old 05-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should I provide a few images of the product and its software?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Another what if I had _____ , could I do ______ thread. (integrawow)

what you are trying to say is that you want to run 4 separate injectors total of 8, for 10 psi? f max did it with 2, with all the management options out there, it isnt really economically pheasable.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What you're saying is that I can spend the same money on something like Hondata?

My problem is that in order for me to use something like Crome, Hondata, or Uberdata, I would have to spend nearly $500 to convert to OBD1. Hell, even Zdyne is around $700, even though Zdyne is for OBD0.

I'm not trying to go large on my boost numbers. A 10 psi maximum will make me more than happy.

By the way, is max a member of this forum? If so, I may be able to send him a PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FMAX is a company that made Honda turbo kits back before tubular manifolds and standalone management. All of their kits had log manifolds, and their solution to fueling was to mount extra injectors in the charge piping in front of the throttle body.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:51 PM

how do you figure 500 to convert to obd1? pick up a p28 for 100, get it chipped for 50, then all you need is a harness,100. thats only 250 maybe 300 at the most. i could see maybe if you were to get it tuned that would be about 500 after everything is said and done, but its all worth it in the end.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (integrawow)

turbo edit for obd0
still need an obd1 dizzy and 4 wire o2.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, last time I checked, a USED OBD1 distributor costed well over $100. A chipped P28 is going to run about $150 to $180. The 4 wire O2 sensor is going to carry alot of weight also. Then, we have to get 4 injectors with roughly a 440cc rating, and a used set goes for about $175. Then an OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness is well over $100. Then, when I use an editor such as Hondata, I will have to pay someone hefty rates to burn me a safe map.

My math equates to well over $600 after it is all said and done. Therefore, I say NO WAY! This device I am refering to costs a little more than $200 brand a$$ new. Roughly $20 for shipping. Then I will need a pair of O2 sensors which will run me around $135. At this rate, we are looking just under $400 for fuel management that is possibly safe to 10 psi.

How is this not a good idea? I don't consider this type of management a "band-aid" setup. We're talkin' 3D maps, and high precision ecu's here.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you have your heart set on it. For $200 its not a bad solution for 10psi on your engine.
I think that if you search around a little more, you might find the value and ease of an OBD1 coversion and chipping w/ a free editor like CROME.
Take a look in the classifieds, fair price for a socketed P28 or converted/socketed po6 is $100. Jumpers can be had for $100 or less. Fair price for a used dizzy is $100 or less. Good basemaps are free on Xenocronics site.
Take a look at the tuner list to see if someone is local to you. A fair street tune price is $100-$150. Plus you get to talk w/ and get advice from someone that does this on a regular basis.
If you ever decide to upgrade or change things in the future, you are all set.

If you know for sure you just wanna run 10lbs, the aditional injector controller and retarding at the dizzy is surely a cost effective and solid solution.

The deciding factor seems to be what your overall plans will be for the car.

Good luck,
Dave

Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (leed)

Honestly, I don't have my heart set on it. I was just curious as to what people thought about the AIC and it's potential to support 10 or so psi. I really appreciate everyone's input on this matter, and I am glad that this thread didn't turn into one of those that bashes anything that isn't typical.

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2007, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

theres more to turboing a car than just adding fuel.

Timing needs to be adjusted to make any real power and uneed an EMS for that.

What does the rest of the setup consist of?
Old 05-28-2007, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theres more to turboing a car than just adding fuel.

What does the rest of the setup consist of?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was just going to comment on what is going to happen with the timing map?

if you use a "na" timing map on a boosted car you are most likely going to melt something.

to the original poster, a set of dsm 450's can be had for 75 bucks shipped, perhaps alot less if you look in the right spots.

chipped p06-130
dsm 450's-75
jumperharness-50
obd1 dist-175 (brand new distributer king)
4 wire 02- 40 bucks

470 total. (and you can adjust your timing map)
Old 05-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theres more to turboing a car than just adding fuel.

What does the rest of the setup consist of?</TD></TR></TABLE>

.....which is probably why my AIC idea won't be sufficient enough at least now that I think about it. The only other way to get around it would be to have a BTM, but a BTM will carry additional costs, which depreciates the purpose of the entire AIC idea.

I'm almost confident that there are people running a risky fmu without a BTM, but I think that the smart ones do have it.