Notices

another victim of white smoke from tailpipe...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another victim of white smoke from tailpipe...

i know that white smoke usually means burning coolant/water and the part at fault is usually the headgasket. so i checked the coolant resorvoir for any milky stuff, i also checked the radiator, dipstick and oil filler cap but didn't find any traces of oil.

now, my turbo has a provision for coolant and i'm using it. i'm not an expert on turbo nor the internals of it, but is it possible that the turbo is leaking the coolant to the turbine side thus i'm having white smoke from the tailpipe?

it couldn't be the oil seal right since it's not bluish white or bluish smoke?

Old 05-16-2003, 10:23 PM

Default Re: another victim of white smoke from tailpipe... (_Endless_)

possible that it's the turbo......and since it's white, it shouldn't be oil.....you could drop the down pipe and check in there for any residue
Old 05-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: another victim of white smoke from tailpipe... (fizzbob7)

I am getting this white smoke out of my exhaust everyonce in awhile as well(at idle). It is usually after i idle for 5 mins or so. I have checked the Compression(180,175,170,170). I have also checked the radiator and don't seem to have any problems there.. I took off all my turbo piping and there wasn't anything unusual.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on... BTW- the car seems to be running good.

Sorry, I don't mean to threadjack. I hope we get some answers for both of us.

Thanks- Corey

Edit- At idle, Water/Black spots will come out of my exhaust sometimes at startup. Maybe it is just b/c it is in open loop. But i thought i would add that in.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: another victim of white smoke from tailpipe... (95c1v1cs1)

Do a leak down test. The compression test will not show everything.

I had a similar problem on my first motor. My compression came out fine, except I was still smoking outta the exhaust, oil mixing with coolant, and over heating. It was a small leak in the headgasket from a slightly warped head and a hairline crack in the sleeve.

The compression test did not show because just cranking the motor will not cause it to leak. I had to be driving or boosting to put enough cylinder pressure to make it leak......if you can see what im trying to say.

I would do a leakdown test, definatly use a precision straight edge and check for warpage of the head, block, and check for dropped sleeves witha feeler guage. Your vavle guides could also be bad.

Im just throwing out ideas. Hope that helps.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:09 AM

Default Re: another victim of white smoke from tailpipe... (intekragsr)

what if the white smoke only comes out when i'm boosting hard(full boost, WOT)? has anybody experience this? car still runs fine and no white smoke when normal driving with moderate boosting(not full boost).
Old 05-20-2003, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: another victim of white smoke from tailpipe... (turb)

guys im in the same boat with y'all, i bought a used turbo kit and 2 weeks later i was burning oil. im gonna get the turbo rebuild tommorow and see what happens. im just hoping its not my motor. oh i only get smoke @ hard boost and after boost.