Notices

Another Mini ram/Shorty (SLS) Oil retun line problem....Help greatly appreciated!!

Old 01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Mini ram/Shorty (SLS) Oil retun line problem....Help greatly appreciated!!

Yes i know that there are alot of these issues and i have searched but no one really provided decent pictures of the problem. The manifold is an SLS shorty. As you can see using AN-10 fittings it obviously will not fit going directly to the pan straight on. Am i going to have to use barbed fittings? I really do not want to because AN fittings are so much nicer but i see no way of getting them to fit. I do have a AN-10 male flange coming from project zum so that will save me a little room. What about offsetting the pan bung from the turbo flange and running a ss sideways...as long as it's on a constant angle down? Some help on this would be greatly appreciated. Schister66 and PSI2HI if you could check this out that would be great.
thanks,
Dan

Old 01-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Mini ram/Shorty (SLS) Oil retun line problem....Help greatly appreciated!! (GSROWNSU)

ditch the an fittings and go with something else. shitty but looks to be the only option
Old 01-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Mini ram/Shorty (postman)

90 degree of the turbo and then tap the oil pan slightly lower so the line drains down just a tad.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Mini ram/Shorty (Boner_Ben)

I had a similar problem and the easiest fix in order to keep the -an fittings is to turn the center section of the turbo out away from the oil pan and then run either a 90 or 45 degree -8 an and a -8 an straight fitting from the oil pan and that should fix your problem. Good luck. Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Mini ram/Shorty (SLS) Oil retun line problem....Help greatly appreciated!! (GSROWNSU)

i cant believe someone is running in the same problem i have ,had spend 60 dollar so far in fittings and testing and no way,tomorrow im going to another store to get me a 90 degree barb fitting from russell non swivel and see if works,its not funny anymore,by the way im using the same manifold from same company as yours
Old 01-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Mini ram/Shorty (civicguy)

the fitting your waiting for its not going to work,i have it already,and its sitting way lower than other fittings,even try a 1/2npt to 90 degre -10an same thing,in top of the 60 spend i bouth the full race drain kit so theres another $100 wasted,they should have tested this thing before selling it to the public
Old 01-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Mini ram/Shorty (Boner_Ben)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the fitting your waiting for its not going to work,i have it already,and its sitting way lower than other fittings,even try a 1/2npt to 90 degre -10an same thing,in top of the 60 spend i bouth the full race drain kit so theres another $100 wasted,they should have tested this thing before selling it to the public </TD></TR></TABLE>
Don't give up man there's gotta be a decent way SLS is a good company and there are many other shorty manifolds similar so there has to be a decent way to get these return lines to work out.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boner_Ben &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">90 degree of the turbo and then tap the oil pan slightly lower so the line drains down just a tad. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This sounds like it might work...if i clock the turbo back to center or almost slightly AWAY from the pan do you think with a 90 i would still have room for a straight fitting into the oil pan? Should i offset it? One of these correct??

http://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku

Modified by GSROWNSU at 6:36 PM 1/1/2008
Old 01-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Another Mini ram/Shorty (GSROWNSU)

heres what i did. i hit up lowes for brass fittings and got a 90 degree elbow. that comes out of the bottom of the turbo and it goes into my pan. ive got maybe 3 inches of vertical difference between the turbo exit and the oil pan. i connected them with 5/8s heater hose from autozone thats like a dollar a foot. after a while the hose gets a lil nasty, but **** for the dollar it costs to replace its worth it imo.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got that one too,didnt work either,even by clocking the turbo still shoting for the botton off oil pan ,now a braided wont work any way it has too be a rubber hose to be able to loop around, a 10 an is too rigid it wont aloud you to do a loop with so little space
Old 01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Mini ram/Shorty (blackeg)

going to try that,thanks
Old 01-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Mini ram/Shorty (civicguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got that one too,didnt work either,even by clocking the turbo still shoting for the botton off oil pan ,now a braided wont work any way it has too be a rubber hose to be able to loop around, a 10 an is too rigid it wont aloud you to do a loop with so little space</TD></TR></TABLE>

so you clocked the turbo away from the oil pan and a 90 still didn't work in an-10? I'm trying to visualize it and i can't see how it won't work. Especially if you offset the oil bung on the pan from the 90 that goes on the turbo...did you try that?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

before you buy anymore fittings, get some 5/8" aluminum tubing, 2 an 10 flare nuts and tube sleeves, and borrow someones 37* flare tool and use a hardline.

2x
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs...62_-1
2x
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs...72_-1
1x
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs...10019
5/8"

you dont need 25 feet obviously, but you just need 5/8" diameter tubing for those nuts to work.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Another Mini ram/Shorty (k24em2)

also dont go clocking the center section too mucch so that the oil drains out on an angle. the feed and return are supposed to be vertical
Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Former Vendor

Clock the center section towards the block and use a 45 degree fitting off the turbo and they plumb straight into the pan. There's another thread floating around somewhere w/ pics of the fitting and installation.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PSI2HI)

I had some aluminum tubing laying around and just bent it to the angle I needed and had it welded to the drain flange. I have a 5/8 barb fittting coming off the oil pan. I also clocked the CHRA slightly. Oh, in that first pic it looks like it isnt completely welded but its also welded on the inside.

Modified by eh3 93 at 7:59 PM 1/2/2008
Old 01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PSI2HI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PSI2HI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clock the center section towards the block and use a 45 degree fitting off the turbo and they plumb straight into the pan. There's another thread floating around somewhere w/ pics of the fitting and installation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

a 45 in AN-10? Because there's no way that 45 that i have will fit into a straight an fitting AND allow room for some hose...is there a different 45 degree fitting you are talking about?
Old 01-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSROWNSU)

Theres no way any AN fittings are going to work. You need to go another route.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eh3 93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eh3 93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theres no way any AN fittings are going to work. You need to go another route.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually really like your idea about having a piece of pipe welded to the flange...how are those barbed fittings tho? I'm assuming you have had your car on the road for a while with the barbed fitting and rubber line...any leaks or problems?
Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a hard line made. I ran into the same issue, I'll try and get a pic for you.
Pretty much a hard line with and some rubber line will do the job.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted_Coupe)

no way with the 45 only my midle finger fits between the pan and the fitting,and no fitting on the oil pan yet
Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no way with the 45 only my midle finger fits between the pan and the fitting,and no fitting on the oil pan yet</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are referring to a AN 45 degree fitting correct? Because i agree there's no way to get it to fit. How about a hard line like boosted coupe and eh3 93 are suggesting...that seems like a really nice way to go about doing it.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eh3 93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am having the same problem, and this looks to be the best solution.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brando1985)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brando1985 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wat

im an idiot with no good ideas, and i like little boys

</TD></TR></TABLE>

fixed
Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brando1985)

High temp hose, napa carries. resistant to most chemicals.

No disaster.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mitsuman)

Look what i found...
http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...-FTG1
http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...-FTG1 +=

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Mini ram/Shorty (SLS) Oil retun line problem....Help greatly appreciated!!