Notices

Another I blew my motor story....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another I blew my motor story....

Okay, my friend and I went on the freeway to do some street tuning, I had a boost controller that wasn't working, it would only boost to 4psi, and then to 6psi at 8k.... anyhow, during those times everything was good, 12:1 AFR, 14.7 steady throttle.

So we pulled over and pulled off the vacuum line to the wastegate and plugged it(I know it was stupid) and set the Hondata boost cut to 12psi. Went back on the freeway, hit 12psi then boost cut, 12psi then boost cut, then 3rd time hit 10psi and had to let off because we were coming into traffic and all hell broke loose. A bunch of smoke out back, pulled over, the heater hose blew open, car won't start (sounded like no compression). Don't have time to pull the motor, but took the plugs out and all the ceramic on the plugs broke off, and#2 plug was hit but something.

Do you guys thing it just leaned out and blew out the plugs and headgasket? Could it be sleeves only at 12psi? Is there a way to check the piston's ring lands without pulling the pistons out?

My setup consists of stock compression, Ls/Vtec, SRp pistons, rods, and hondata 4b. My friend said the AFR was not lean but he was also tuning it at the same time so he could have leaned it out too much.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:24 PM
The Boot

gawd damn, you've got a mess on your hands...good luck with that.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Another I blew my motor story.... (turtle-eg)

Pull the head off and drop the pan. Its obviously fugged up in either case and it will have to be done anyway. I doubt its just a HG if your coolant hose popped off??..

If you dont want to do -any- of that, atleast drain your oil.. if it looks good enough to drink, welp.. :/

Old 06-07-2004, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Another I blew my motor story.... (Jeff_Middletown)

wtf would give you the brilliant idea to unplug the wastegate???? wtf did you think was going to happen......god damn!!!

Landon
Old 06-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another I blew my motor story.... (boosted_dc2)

lol! You prolly shitted your rings. Youre best bet is to pull the head and drop the pan like stated earlier. But it sounds more severe than that
Old 06-07-2004, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Another I blew my motor story.... (boosted_dc2)

We unplugged the wastegate to see if there was a problem in the wastegate not letting it build boost or if it was a boost leak. Like I said before, we did set the Hondata to boost cut at 12psi.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wtf would give you the brilliant idea to unplug the wastegate???? wtf did you think was going to happen......god damn!!!

Landon</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-07-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Another I blew my motor story.... (Jeff_Middletown)

Okay to anyone who's interested... I pulled the head today and it'a a TOTAL lost. #2 cylinder sleeve blew out, there's a 1x2inch hole there. All pistons pitted and the heads all pitted, cracked, and vavle seat busted.

Dam, I never thought 10-12psi could blow out sleeves - no matter how lean it got... I guess I know now.

I'll post pictures if someone was a look, but you'll have to teach me how to post'em up.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:20 PM

I read the first line and knew what happened. SOrry for the loss, I hope you learned from it.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"lol! You prolly shitted your rings. "

yeah, i hope he dint blow the welds on his intake manifold and loose his floor board in the process,

in all seariousness that wasent to bright of a idea.

alot of times i take my motor for granted, i run 20 psi on pump gas and 25 psi with a home brew of xylene or toulene mixed with pump gas with alittle MMO so i dont burn out my dual fuel pumps. i would have never thaught that 12 psi would have blown a motor. well, most motors.

this kinda reminds me of a problem i seen a while back, a guy i know was racing with a set of aluminum gn1 heads, he had 1/4-1/2 a tank of gas but the car accelerated so fast that all of the gas got pushed to the back of the tank away from his fuel pump, he starved the motor at 22-23 psi and ruined his heads. it actually looked like some one had shot the aluminum with a .22

how were you on gas? full, empty?
Old 06-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another I blew my motor story.... (87gn)

have a half assed tune(unsafe) in your gn and it will blow too
Old 06-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another I blew my motor story.... (SiRkid)

780 02s with around 1 degree kr top end racing and 800 02s on the street. ive spent alot of time tuning that car and ive been running that aggressive of a setup for 2 years now. ive got my own scan tool that is mounted under my dash that i use for tuning.

probably the reasion why i can run it at 20 psi and get away with it is because i run xylene to frequiently, when ever i see alittle kr start creeping in top end i remix me a new tank, i dont mix it to agressively unless i plan on running it but its got enough in there to kill the knock.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Re: (Smokinsax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smokinsax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gawd damn, you've got a mess on your hands...good luck with that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ONE HELL of a mess... im guessing that you're going to have to re-sleeve the block, as well as new pistons, connecting rods... and might want to check your main bearings, and caps.

hopefully a lesson well learned... be sure to find the limits, before trying to push them.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:18 AM

I kinda figured it was a sleeve but, was wanting you to find out for yourself. Whenever you have that much pressure in the coolant system, welp..

Lesson learned as others stated.. consider it an "experiment" an expensive one but.. REBUILD crazy style now man. Just no fuggin around with the WG like that.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turtle-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there a way to check the piston's ring lands without pulling the pistons out?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

cut the engine out from around the pistons? just take them out. dont be lazy.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:51 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turtle-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Dam, I never thought 10-12psi could blow out sleeves - no matter how lean it got... I guess I know now.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, what made you think you were only getting 12 psi? and how is the hondata boost cut going to tell the turbo not to boost over 12psi. Sure it probably cut engine acceleration after sensing 12psi but you probably were spiking badly over 12psi each time before it was able to cut it.

only takes a second to go boom you know.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turtle-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dam, I never thought 10-12psi could blow out sleeves - no matter how lean it got... I guess I know now.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

o well, u live and u learn. good luck on the rebuild
Old 06-08-2004, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Another I blew my motor story.... (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

only takes a second to go boom you know. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually, .10 of a second at 6krpm. At 8k rpm, a lot less. It only takes one bad revolution for destruction, which happens faster than the eye can see(let alone you to be able to hear/feel in the car). Once you feel the "power down", youre ALL done.