Notices

Am I a hater at heart?

Old 09-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I a hater at heart?

As MANY of you know, there's been a controversy, for years, about whether Larry at Endyn is 90% or just 50% full of ****. I have absolutely no dealings with the guy, so this isn't personal. I'm just not sure people should take any of is engine-building/tuning advice, when BS like this apparently comes out of his face. I really thought he was a genius, back in the day, but...

In his defense, maybe these numbers were somewhat tweaked by the Hotrod staff, since they seem completely incredulous. And I'm sure 300whp in a 2300lb car feels alot like 500hp in a domestic land yacht...

So, this isn't really about Larry, just whether or not these numbers are even CLOSE to attainable with the set-up and technology today, let alone back in the day, for just $6000.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/22838/

Let's do the math:
d16a6 (1.54liter)
+ported head
+11.2:1 compression (The article seems to imply this?!)
+reground cam
+"27psi" non-intercooler supercharger boost
+FMU fuel management
= 480hp (giving the benefit that it's not even at the wheels)

I highly doubt it...as in, I don't think it's even possible.

The car obviously has alot of mods and seems well put-together, but the boost gauge only goes to 20psi, for one, so running 27psi seems fool-hardy (and unverifiable, at the least). The FMU implies he'd be running 150psi fuel pressure (that's with only a 4:1 diaphragm) and he has a 100psi fuel pressure gauge...ignoring the INSANELY high pressure, this also seems ridiculous for such a knowledgeable guy to do.

I will concede that he COULD run 27psi, if he had a closed-deck and built motor (he obviously has rods and pistons if we believe that claim). However, that 27psi would be at a temperature hotter than all hell (assuming the ambient temperature would come close to tripling with 2.8bar absolute pressure), and would preignite the gasoline with reasonable certainty if no intercooling is used. Also, the increased temperature would start to give diminishing (if not negative) returns on power, when the boost is up that high.

Also, remember this article is pretty terribly old (maybe 10 years?) and thus import tuning technology was pretty low by today's standards. So, I'd give him 300hp, tops, at 15-20psi (since I think even Mr.Fancy Pants wouldn't run 27psi with a 20psi gauge). What's everyone elses take on this? Maybe I am a hater?