Notices

all right...turbo people...tell me about your insurance setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all right...turbo people...tell me about your insurance setup

I have performed a search, yes, but a lot of the topics are pretty dated and old...

So here's my situation....

I would like to get a 99-00 SI to replace my ITR, call me nuts, you wouldn't be the first person.

Anyways, if I get the SI, i would like to fully build the engine and turbo it. All together, my budget is 8k.

So I call insurance and ask them what their policy is on modifying an engine, they say the will have to call their main office and blah blah blah, we'll rape you if you do that, blah blah blah, get the lube out....

The ONLY reason I'd want coverage on the TURBO SETUP is if the car got stolen. I do NOT want to lose an 8k investment.

So, what are you opinions on this and did you tell your insurance company about your turbo setup/full engine build?

Any suggestions?

I have Erie insurance right now, but if other companies won't give me a hassle, I won't hesitate to look into them for coverage.

Thanks guy.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all right...turbo people...tell me about your insurance setup (pa_itr)

Don't tell your insurance your modding your car and buy an alarm and put multiple sirens in each bumper. Pretty simple
Old 07-21-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: all right...turbo people...tell me about your insurance setup (JDM.Accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM.Accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't tell your insurance your modding your car and buy an alarm and put multiple sirens in each bumper. Pretty simple </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've thought about that...then there's the possibility that if you get into an accident and they see the turbo sitting in there, they may not cover the car at all.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: all right...turbo people...tell me about your insurance setup (pa_itr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pa_itr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've thought about that...then there's the possibility that if you get into an accident and they see the turbo sitting in there, they may not cover the car at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's what I was thinking. I'm not worried about my car getting stolen, but more if I'm in an accident. BTW, I didn't tell my insurance yet either . Subscribing for more info
Old 07-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my buddies has full coverage for a JRSC GSR swaped del sol, including the motor, aftermarket parts and stuff. He's from Ohio not PA tho, but I don't think it makes that big of a difference.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: (blundar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blundar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One of my buddies has full coverage for a JRSC GSR swaped del sol, including the motor, aftermarket parts and stuff. He's from Ohio not PA tho, but I don't think it makes that big of a difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm guessing he told the insurance company of all that stuff on his car? If so, did his insurance go up at all? Who is his carrier? Please let me know, I'm desperate haha.

Thanks man.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
EGP

Default Re: (pa_itr)

My insurance company unitrin just wants receipts proving the parts are on the car. It does raise the premium but it's not that bad.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: (EGP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My insurance company unitrin just wants receipts proving the parts are on the car. It does raise the premium but it's not that bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not that bad is a relative term, lol. 500 bucks may be cheap for you, but it'd be expensive for me. One of my selling points on my ITR is the insurance; it's insanely high and I hardly ever drive the car b/c of theft.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:08 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: (EGP)

I'm wondering the same thing....so I decided to do some leg work for everyone.

I am waiting for a call back because they "usually don't deal with something like that" and need to get approvals and such. I might have more information for you guys later today and if not today then probably tomorrow.

I was a little nervous telling them $$ amounts and what was already done to it (luckily they didn't ask about power...yet) simply because I don't want to get "audited" and have my insurance adjusted if I don't like the new quote I get haha.

I told them "some" performance mods were already done....some is the truth since I am waiting for the motor to be installed still, but a truer* statement would be everything is bought and put on.

I'll keep you all updated......
Old 07-21-2005, 11:41 AM

Sweet...definitely keep us updated.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: (Dunc)

Good topic.
I've wondered this also as I had an accident while my car was NA and they replaced my header no problems whatsoever. A turbo manifold, turbo, intercooler, & piping complicate those things that much more. I just have regular coverage with no add-ons/riders for aftermarket parts.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:00 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: (RacerXI)

The only thing worries me is if they ask to see the car...seeing as basically all (with a few exceptions) are illegal for street use. The other thing that has me holding my breath is if they ask for horsepower or expected horsepower YIKES! Simply due to the fact that the average person thinks 250 is a lot....while we here at H-T think that 500 is normal haha.

Plus I do have a couple speeding tickets but no accidents though. I can imagine that a few others on here have some tickets as well so my experiment should be fairly close to what would happen with your insurance.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:39 PM

That's the thing, I have an absolutely clean record.

I've been told to check some nation wide carriers and see what they offer.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:49 PM
BCICAN

well then I will be more of a "worst case scenario" type thing then....it's almost 5:00pm so I doubt that I will be hearing back from them today. I think my agent was out of the office this afternoon. Hopefully I'll post up some new tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did not read everyone reply but the dumbass that said don't tell them and just get an alarm never had a car stolen before.

I live in PA I have erie ins and I have had a car stolen. Short story. I got a 92si insured it as a 92si. I put about 26 grand into the car and it got stolen. I had pictures and receipts of everything I had done to the car. After the car got stolen I supplied ERIE ins with an excel spread sheet with everything that was done to the car numbered that corresponded to the pictures I numbered. I turned all of this information into the ins company and you know what they told me. Tough **** you should have told us up front everything that was done to the car and had it appraised and insured for stated amount. In turn I got the cost of a 1992 civic si which was about 1500 bucks. Also I have a huge policy with ERIE I have 9 cars on my policy with my father having a ton more cars then me. I have a perfect record and I still got nothing.

Then to top it off my ins went up after the car was stolen. It was a loose loose situation for me.

Also I had 7 different theft deterrent devices on the car. The car was stolen from a secured parking lot with cameras and security guards patrolling.

So if you are serious about buying an si and dumping 8 grand into it which will prob turn out to be a lot more in the end when you add it all up I suggest you get the car appraised and insured for stated amount.

Just my two cents
Old 07-21-2005, 12:57 PM

Location: We Cant Stop Here This Is Bat Country, So CaL, USDM

How much have they quoted you so far??? Just try to figure out how many years that added premium for having that extra stuff on the car, is going to equal $8K. Insurance is the biggest rip off ever...if you never get into accidents, all you are doing is paying to fix some *******'s car that just rearended a school bus because they were on a cell phone. I've been insurance free for the past 2 1/2 years. And that's in CALi. My car is only worth probly 5-6K, so paying $1500 per year for nothing isn't going to happen just to "be legal". But again, you do have to drive way more cautiously without insurance. good luck
Old 07-21-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: (2000psi)

signing onto this topic...

my ins told me that as long as I have full coverage and I have all receipts and can prove they were perminently installed, I would have no problems... I told them up front how much I have into it. they thought I was nuts but still said I'm covered...

I never really felt comfortable with that... but they "say" I'm covored. I wonder how I can get more prof that I'm all set?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbosi03)

get it in writing from them
Old 07-21-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: (underpressure02)

One of my boys got in a wreck and the insurance paid for his intercooler pipe that was damaged and his cf hood and aftermarket bumpers.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: (turbosi03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">signing onto this topic...

my ins told me that as long as I have full coverage and I have all receipts and can prove they were perminently installed, I would have no problems... I told them up front how much I have into it. they thought I was nuts but still said I'm covered...

I never really felt comfortable with that... but they "say" I'm covored. I wonder how I can get more prof that I'm all set?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who is your insurer?

Yes, I'm not taking any risks here, I will NOT hide it from insurance.

Erie said, and I quote..."we will absolutely NOT insure the car if it has a turbo on it"...so they can lick my *****, I'm looking into another company.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

my insurance company doesnt care. ive driven my car there and even showed it to the agent. my 99si has about 30k in aftermarket parts coverage on it as well. so if it gets stolen im fully reimbursed for my car, mods and all
Old 07-21-2005, 03:14 PM

Same thing Eerie said to me, no dice.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rufus523)

my insurance provider will let you buy a supplemental policy for x amount of $$ to cover your mods . i'm not sure of the premiums i'll try to find out (my mother is an agent) ill let you know asap

all i do know is not to get geico
Old 07-21-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: (B20TDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20TDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my insurance provider will let you buy a supplemental policy for x amount of $$ to cover your mods . i'm not sure of the premiums i'll try to find out (my mother is an agent) ill let you know asap

all i do know is not to get geico</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes...let us know. And I"ve heard things about geico as well.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my insurance company doesnt care. ive driven my car there and even showed it to the agent. my 99si has about 30k in aftermarket parts coverage on it as well. so if it gets stolen im fully reimbursed for my car, mods and all</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, you gotta me the name of your company!

Quick Reply: all right...turbo people...tell me about your insurance setup