Notices

All noob questions answered!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All noob questions answered!!!

Alright,im not writing this post to flame on anyone, to act like "mr know it all", or to start anything. Im simply writing this post to inform those who need guidance. Dont know if its just me,or if its just i havent been around Honda-Tech long enough,but personally im tired of coming onto the FI board just to see the same questions asked over and over again,multiple times a day. It clutters the useful information on here and really all these questions can be answered with one simple write up......

I know everyone on here has seen people ask "how much power do you think i can run with this set up? or what/how much psi should i run? or what turbo should i run with this set up? or how much power will xxxxxx give me?" or anything similar. Well heres all your questions answered,in ONE write up.....

First the "how much power do you think i can run with this set up?" questions.
Look,EVERYONE is going to have their own opinions on this topic,and quite frankly there is NO real answer. There is people that run 500hp on a bone stock motor and others that dont even make it off the dyno trying to duplicate. Just because "johnny knocker" made xxxwhp on his bone stock motor,doesnt mean yours can/will do the same. My rule of thumb is this (and im sure alot of knowledgeable turbo guys will agree). If your over 300whp on a bone stock motor,its time to atleast invest in forged pistons. Probably the first thing to go in a stock motor is the piston ringlands. They crack,or even break clean off at very small signs of detonation at those power levels,even sometimes lower levels. now before i go further, EVERYTHING....again EVERYTHING is based on a good tune. without a good tune is like trying to jump a fire with gasoline shorts on.....its just not going to work. Id say 300whp and below on a good tune you can get away with stock internals reliably. 300-350whp look into some forged internals (pistons/rods),and 350+ you need to start thinking about sleeves. AGAIN,i know people have made 400.....450....500whp on stock components...but that doesnt mean yours will duplicate theirs. If your looking for reliability,then you'll follow this GENERAL rule of thumb. Agian everyone has their own opinions....not everyone is going to agree. Also again,this question has no real answer,this is just a rule of thumb.

Next the "what/how much psi should i run?".
First off....get that out of your head....PSI that is. PSI is a messure of pressure NOT power. 11psi on a t67 is not the same as 11psi on a t3/t4. You may need to run 19psi to reach what a t67 will do at 11psi on the same set up.PSI is not a messure of power. Instead,ask yourself what is your power goal. If your power goal is 300whp,run however much psi you need come dyno day to reach that goal (hoping you have the right equipment for your power goal). Which leads me to the next.....

"what turbo should i run with this set up?"
There are millions of turbos you can run for your set up. Why would you want to be spoon fed a set up....then technically your just doing what joe smoe tells you to do. First reasearch....different size turbos will yeild different power readings at a given power location. Meaning,if you want a mid ranged powerband,you wouldnt want to run a t4/t67. Same for if you would want a top end powerband,you wouldnt go buy a t3 super 60.Also you wouldnt run a t4/t67 wanting a power goal of 300whp. That turbo will be ridiculously big for that power goal. Research and learn how to read compressor maps. They litterally tell you in what range the turbo will be efficient in,and some sites even offer a general whp they max out in. Why buy a turbo efficient for 800whp when your going to run 300whp. Research,and buy a turbo that will fit YOUR power location and YOUR HP goal,not what some joe smoe tells you to buy.

Last (that i can think of right now) is "how much power will xxxxxx give me?"
Again,a question that has NO real answer. Do you think if your buddies stock b18c1 puts down 160 to the ground,your b18c1 will do the same? No,because though your motor is technically the same thing,its not the same thing. If you were to build 2 motors,with the SAME exact stuff,they will not yeild the same power. Maybe close,but not the same. So asking "How much power will _____ give me" cannot be answered. The only person who can answer that is your tuner,after he tells you what your car just put down on dyno day.

And last,ill close with WHP is NOT everything. So dont base a set up on just trying to make a peak number. A 500whp car can lose to a 400whp car with the right set up,power location,tranny matching,and so much more. Theres a ton of things that plays into what makes a car faster then another car,not just peak numbers. Thats where a GOOD tuner comes into play. Some tuners will just try to make you happy,and hand you over a car thats tuned just to hit a peak number. But get it out on the strip,and your losing to cars with far less hp. There is so much more that i couldnt even begin to sit here and try to explain it,all i can say is research...its really your best friend and the only way your going to learn......

Again,i didnt write this up to flame people,or act like i know it all,or anything of that nature. Some people just need basics because they are just getting into turbocharging a car/honda. All i can say to you guys is research,answer questions for yourselves. Thats the real way to learn,they way i and many others have learned,and will save you alot of mistakes. Hope this has helped atleast someone.....
Old 05-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Make mine whatever you want

Default Re: All noob questions answered!!! (peakaboost)

Agreed... I haven't even been a member for that long and it even drives me nuts to see the same stuff over and over again. Search, Search, Search and you WILL find what you're looking for most the time.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 AM

Default Re: All noob questions answered!!! (GT35R_EF)

thanks bro