Notices

Air filter - No space - What solution? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter - No space - What solution? Please help.

Hey everyone,

My car is a G23 boosted accord.

Its a daily driver and pure street car. I race it on the weekends but it is my only car.

I am using a AFi- bottom mount manifold for my turbo, Innitially I did not know how much the filter size will affect the performance of the car. After some reading and calculating I understand that the filter should be able to flow the CFM the engine needs under boost.

The problem is that, all the filters that flow alot of air are very big and I dont have space down there. In the placement of the turbo between the alternator, front pannel and front cross member. THere is at best 4 x 6.5 inch.

My question:

1. What air filter i can put in that area, so it flows enough to hold 20 off psi on my engine. - I calculated off 700 CFM if am not wrong.

2. Should i ditch the filter and run a wire mesh instead? Is that safe on the street with all the little stuff flying around? Is there a branded one i can use just to make sure the turbo does not suck it in - I know i sound like a kid but dont want to have a blown turbo.

3. Any other solutions?

Here are pics of my bay for you to get idea of fitment

Regards
Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Air filter - No space - What solution? Please help.

I would never no matter what run a street used car without a filter.
I small stone weigting less than a penny hitting the 100.000 rpm compressor may
destroy EVERYTHING you worked and paid for..What i will do is take a big straight filter
make an alluminum "pyramid".the tip of the piramid will be the 4 inch circle of mycompressor.
You dont have to make each side of the "pyramid" even so it helps you fit it prety much everywere.
This is a very basic design.:
Old 12-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For what it's worth I ran my daily driver with 2 screens overlapped on the turbo with no issues for 2 years. Not saying it's the best option and people said it was bad, but my car was fine.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get a 180* U-bend and put the filter right over the manifold. Sure it will be hot(er) air, but at least it will be clean, filtered air. Plus, you could make a heat shield if you really wanted to. There is plenty of room there for a nice big filter.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F22Master
I would get a 180* U-bend and put the filter right over the manifold. Sure it will be hot(er) air, but at least it will be clean, filtered air. Plus, you could make a heat shield if you really wanted to. There is plenty of room there for a nice big filter.
I was thinking of doing this myself actually. Different set up, but the space may require me to move the filter off of the compressor housing. It's been done and works.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys,

Appreicate the help.

I have been through the K&n list a number of time.

NOthing they make will flow the amount and fit in the space.

The triangle idea is interesting but again there is no space for such a elaborate construction.

What do you think of cutting the front frame open? I was thinking a 90" curve and then a long filter straight through the front frame.

Will that effect the stability or flex of the chassis, dont want to mess around with stuff that could make it worse.

Any other ideaS?

Regards
Old 12-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Can you make a 45 or 90 degree pipe the same diameter as the compressor inlet and point downward, as I suggested? That way both a filter can fit AND you have a makeshift "Cold Air Intake"
Old 12-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

obviously you cannot attach a filter directly to the compressor inlet.. this means you will have to get some sort of bend and remotely locate the filter. it looks like you have plenty of room behind the drivers headlight. I would try and fabricate a pipe, even if it's just silicone elbows clamped together with a small section of pipe going inside each joint to get that filter where it needs to go.

the advantage in your case with using silicone bends is that they will flex a little bit so you have a lot of freedom with filter placement.

just remember. some form of air filter is better than nothing.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at all the space you have directly above the turbo. Use it.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E85B18
For what it's worth I ran my daily driver with 2 screens overlapped on the turbo with no issues for 2 years. Not saying it's the best option and people said it was bad, but my car was fine.
Two overlapping screens reduces the effective inlet diameter by a bunch.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F22Master
Look at all the space you have directly above the turbo. Use it.
Behind the head light? That's been mentioned but for some reason he doesn't want to run a simple pipe up there.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:48 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^yep, just be sure to use some sort of heat shield to prevent heat from the exhaust manifold/turbine housing drying out and potentially catching the filter on fire (if EGTs get up to 1800F inside the manifold runners, imagine how much heat they radiate... just imagine the pictures of turbo components glowing orange during a hard pull) not to mention that having the turbo ingest hot air then compress it has a horrible effect on the turbos efficiency, you'd have super heated air leaving the compressor, making the intercooler work even harder (or it can't dissipate enough heat and heat soaks) not to mention the loss in turbo response and power

You could always go down with the filter, from the pics you posted (maybe take more closeups around the compressor inlet, above it and below it, maybe with a ruler/measuring tape so we can get an idea of space) you could easily take 90* silicone bend and point the filter straight down... if there's a potential for water reaching the filter then put a pre-filter sock over it, or even a metal deflector... You could also run a 90* silicone coupler down, then use another 90* pointed towards the front of the car and place the filter behind the bumper

this method gives you two distinct advantages... nice cool air from outside the engine bay... and the filter is sheltered from the elements (rain, snow, dust, etc) that is, unless you try to go fording rivers lol