Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Air coming out of oil cap (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/air-coming-out-oil-cap-2890052/)

F!ip 01-26-2011 01:23 PM

Air coming out of oil cap

I have air coming out of my oil cap. Someone told me it could be worn rings? Btw, the breather on the valve cover just has a filter on it. It is a 95 v-tec 1.6 (I hope I'm in the right forum?) making around 360 hp and it is running at 25 pounds of boost with a 50 trim turbo. I just bought it saturday. Can someone help me? :cry:

Edit: I just got off the phone with the guy that sold it to me... He said he put eagle rods, acl bearings, new thrust washers, apr head studs, wiseco pistons, and all new seals and gaskets in 2000 miles ago.

Former User 01-26-2011 01:46 PM

Re: Air coming out of oil cap

Sounds like piston ring blow by to me.

F!ip 01-26-2011 01:50 PM

Yeah, some people have mentioned that to me. I asked the kid that sold it to me, and he said he is positive it isn't. Can you get blow by after 2000 miles?

Former User 01-26-2011 01:56 PM

As far as I know, the only cause for excess pressure inside the crankcase is blow by gas from piston rings.

I'll copy this thread to the Forced Induction forum to see whether you get additional replies there.

kyden 01-26-2011 02:04 PM

how bad is it? its normal for 4 cyls to blow air out of the cap while running.

rev-speed 01-26-2011 02:06 PM

air coming out as in pressure in boost?
or vaccum at idle?

F!ip 01-26-2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by kyden (Post 44519589)
how bad is it? its normal for 4 cyls to blow air out of the cap while running.

Its not that bad... Lol I'm not sure how to measure it. hmm...

F!ip 01-26-2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by rev-speed (Post 44519611)
air coming out as in pressure in boost?
or vaccum at idle?

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I am new to all of this.

95dxsir2 01-26-2011 03:18 PM

it's normal for a little air to come out of the oil fill hole, is oil coming out of the valve cover vent filter? if there is no oil coming out of the vent filter, or no smoke, i wouldn't worry about it.
is there blue smoke coming from the exhaust?

F!ip 01-27-2011 05:13 AM

No, no smoke or oil comes out of the vent. I noticed a little blue smoke after letting it idle for an extended period of time. But no smoke normally.

LS/V-T 01-27-2011 05:29 AM

I've witnessed this due to a leaking head gasket..
When the engine is cool take the radiator cap off and start the car. You need to check and see if the coolant bubbles when reved and check for oil in the coolant. You should also keep an eye on the oil as well make sure it's not turning milky from water.

Good luck hopefully it's just normal crank case pressure.

redzcstandardhatch 01-27-2011 05:36 AM

its just a little blow by. dont worry about it.

if its running like crap, losing tons of oil, etc, then its time to re-ring it. even semi-tight engines have some positive crankcase pressure... thats what the factory PCV system is around for in stock format....

a little blue smoke after sitting/idling is usually a bit of turbo seep into the exhaust, and really not a big deal either.

relax

F!ip 01-27-2011 06:52 AM

OK thanks guys. This is now my favorite site. :happy:

lsturbo33 01-27-2011 07:56 AM

If I were you I would vent the crankcase with a catch can setup.

F!ip 01-27-2011 08:16 AM

Do I just go to the auto place and ask for a catch can and connect the (5/8??) hose to it coming up from behind the engine?

skuded 01-27-2011 08:20 AM

you need to find out when he built the motor, did he have the block bored, or just honed, cause if they bored it, then it should be a perfect circle, but if it was just honed, and the motor had overheated, or had bottom end problems before, the cylinder might not be perfectly round, thus even putting new pistons and rings in wouldnt seal up tight enough and would cause blowby, you could try putting a decent pcv catch can setup in it, which removes the plugs on the back of the motor, and vents crankase pressure to the catchcan instead of up through the rings, this may help but if it has lots of crankcase pressure at idle, you should just go ahead and buy a new pcv valve and put it to see if that helps with the pressure, if it doesnt then try the catchcan setup as you will need it no matter what with your hp number, if you do not address this problem your crankcase pressure will start pushing oil out of all your rubber seals, and you will be having major oil leak problems very soon.

edit, i bought my catchcan setup from www.theoldone.com its 300bucks for the b series, im not sure if your motor is the b series or the d series, but you will want to get a decent catchcan setup and this one for 300$ is great for the money t1racedevelopment.com makes an even better catchcan setup as well but its about 500$ and i dont think you will need on this big unless you are over 450whp

rev-speed 01-27-2011 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by F!ip (Post 44525076)
Do I just go to the auto place and ask for a catch can and connect the (5/8??) hose to it coming up from behind the engine?

do not do that
vent it with baffles from the valve cover

y don t u make a vide of what ur talking about

F!ip 01-27-2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by skuded (Post 44525109)
you need to find out when he built the motor, did he have the block bored, or just honed, cause if they bored it, then it should be a perfect circle, but if it was just honed, and the motor had overheated, or had bottom end problems before, the cylinder might not be perfectly round, thus even putting new pistons and rings in wouldnt seal up tight enough and would cause blowby, you could try putting a decent pcv catch can setup in it, which removes the plugs on the back of the motor, and vents crankase pressure to the catchcan instead of up through the rings, this may help but if it has lots of crankcase pressure at idle, you should just go ahead and buy a new pcv valve and put it to see if that helps with the pressure, if it doesnt then try the catchcan setup as you will need it no matter what with your hp number, if you do not address this problem your crankcase pressure will start pushing oil out of all your rubber seals, and you will be having major oil leak problems very soon.

edit, i bought my catchcan setup from www.theoldone.com its 300bucks for the b series, im not sure if your motor is the b series or the d series, but you will want to get a decent catchcan setup and this one for 300$ is great for the money t1racedevelopment.com makes an even better catchcan setup as well but its about 500$ and i dont think you will need on this big unless you are over 450whp

He said it was bored 2000 miles ago. He has a vent coming up from behind the engine that blows vapor out. There is a small filter on the hole coming out of the valve cover.... And yes, my engine leaks oil. I'm trying to find from where. I hope my car is going to be okay... Here is what I bought: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2140844901.html (I talked him down to $3700 because he had to pay fines)

rev-speed 01-27-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by F!ip (Post 44525762)
He said it was bored 2000 miles ago. He has a vent coming up from behind the engine that blows vapor out. There is a small filter on the hole coming out of the valve cover.... And yes, my engine leaks oil. I'm trying to find from where. I hope my car is going to be okay... Here is what I bought: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2140844901.html (I talked him down to $3700 because he had to pay fines)

now i see

plug the hole on the back of the block
and run a catch can setup on the valve cover

skuded 01-27-2011 02:40 PM

its not just plugging the hole on the back of the block, its taking the 2 block plugs out of the back of the block, and running to pcv hoses to the adapters that go in their place, it really has nothing to do with the valve cover on this kit, i just ran a piece of hose out of my valve cover and down to the bottom of the engine bay, it vents crankcase pressure right out of the crankcase, so it doesnt get up into the cylinder head, even though in higher hp setups, you would also need to vent the valvecover better due to more crankase pressures, which means more would get into the head