Notices

Aftermarket Ignition Or Rebuild OE Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Ignition Or Rebuild OE Distributor

Hey guys I've been searching, reading, and deciding what I want to do about ignition. It's the only thing left thats undecided for my build is ignition. I might be getting a OEM distributor from my buddy for free, but will need to replace the ignitor and i figured at the same time I might as well replace the coil. Since the distributor has over 250k+ miles on it and the ignitor just went out the other day.

For money-wise, reliability, and performance-wise. Should I just go OEM or are there any aftermarket ignitors or coils that anyone would recommend besides OEM? Or am I better off going a different route.

Planning for 400+whp and 8500rpm shift point in a D16z6.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Ignition Or Rebuild OE Distributor

I liek Oem distrubitors. Is there any way to find a good lower mileage z6 dist on some local classifieds? I always see them floating around for 20-50.00 ...
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ls_dx
I liek Oem distrubitors. Is there any way to find a good lower mileage z6 dist on some local classifieds? I always see them floating around for 20-50.00 ...
I personally like OEM distributors also, they are simple to deal with, reliable, and has been known to be a part of high hp cars. I've bought a used OEM dizzy a few years ago and it only lasted me a few months before the ignitor took a crap. I would go and get a new aftermarket unit, but have read mixed reviews about using aftermarket dizzys. OEM parts aren't overall that cheap and rebuilding a unit can cost about 300 bucks. Obviously the same as most aftermarket units except with OEM quality parts and reliability.

I'm just wondering if it's worth it to spend 300 on rebuilding an OEM unit or would I just be better off to upgrade to something else.

More feedback is appreciated!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thinking about switching over to a external MSD Blaster coil, but still looking for feedback on which route to go.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I def wouldnt spend 300 to rebuild a dist !!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to bring this back, but what did you decide? Im currently planning a rebuild with a boosted future, and wondering whether an expensive OEM disty or aftermarket ignition is in order. I refuse to buy used parts anymore concerning spark on my motors
Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I have found that the best bet was a replaced oem distributor with an external coil and box used to supplement the system and keep it from dying. Most use a Mallory Digital 6 ( about 1/3 the cost of an MSD setup) and works fantastic
Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info dude. I just looked on ebay, tehy seem to be about the same price as MSD. Is there a website I can get this stuff for cheaper? on procivic, I can get an MSD coil and cap/rotor for 130 shipped. That doesnt seem to be the case with this Mallory stuff, but like I said maybe there is another website.

Any thoughts? thanks in advance

-Matt
Old 05-05-2009, 02:14 PM

The Summitt racing private label ones are the Mallory Digital 6 systems. They're called the You want Quality at a good price. "Cheap" implies something else entirely.

MSD External coil $50
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

This is summit racing's Street/strip line (its a mallory digital 6 in a different colored box)
$139. Adding a rev-limiter is $30 more.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I have these in both my time attack car and my other honda. they last forever.

If you can't afford these, WITH a Warranty, you may want to get out of this game, because it doesn't get any cheaper NEW than that.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What you posted is a whole new ignition setup. I simply want better spark, and since the redline is staying stock, no need for a box.

Thanks for the responses though. No need to be snarky about the money thing. I can afford the big stuff, but I dont have any need. Im gonna be boosting 235ish to the wheels on a d15 I dont need anything special. I simply wanna replace honda's shitty coil and igniter setup.

MSD coil with MSD cap/rotor seems like my best choice. 130 bucks and it needs a few wires hooked up. Im gonna wait a bit longer before ordering, you can never do too much research. Lemme know what you think.

Keep in mind

stock redline

thanks
-Matt
Old 05-10-2009, 10:22 AM

I think you missed my point. The ignition setup would work WITH your newer components of the stock distributor so as not to wear them out prematurely when and if you decide to grow with the car. Redline has nothing to do with the fact that you'll need increased spark for maximum efficiency.

I'm unfamiliar with the term "snarky", but my intent was to show cost effectiveness in an upgraded system to work with your original. Considering that the components for the OEM distributor are very expensive new from the parts department, this was simply an alternative solution to work with now and later.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, snarky is from a dane cook skit. dont mind it hee hee

I an a bit confused, btu I am still trying to find some really solid info between brand names, various setups, etc... seems a lot of people like opinions over information.

I think I get your point, it'll work, but will only compliment my car when it needs the extra spark.

-Matt
Old 05-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mattliston
sorry to bring this back, but what did you decide? Im currently planning a rebuild with a boosted future, and wondering whether an expensive OEM disty or aftermarket ignition is in order. I refuse to buy used parts anymore concerning spark on my motors
I actually ended up just picking up a new dizzy from places like autozone etc. I was actually going to be running a modified MSD cap with an external coil. But I ended up scrapping that idea because I ended up going a different route with power level etc. When I first thought about using the external coil etc, I was planning on running 400whp+ on my turbod as I built it for that power level. But ended up picking up one of my buddies 15G kit for cheap. And that's why I decided to just scrap the whole external coil etc.

My advice is, if you aren't going for a lot of power I would just run an OEM dizzy. Just replace the coil and ignitor if you want. But I wouldn only use an aftermarket ignition system if I was planning on 400whp+.