Notices

After Reading Some FAQ's I have some questions Plz.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Reading Some FAQ's I have some questions Plz.

Well I have a 95 Ex. For starters and I'm turbo charging it and of course me and my buddies are begginners well to my car anyways. We have a pretty good idea what we are doing but after doing some research.. I have a T25 with 6psi just wanna daily driver that is dependable but yet will beat the average ricer. Which doesn't take much where I live (Iowa). Well we put the turbo on like 3 weeks ago but after some leaning out problems we reconsidered thought maybe i should buy some more parts and wait tell the snow is passed.

So for fuel managment we put a Vortech FMU in and I have been reading and i noticed FMU's are not to popular for there working ability. Which sucks becasue I'm only 17 In college with not alot of money. So i bought a 190lph Walrbo In-tank fuel pump. But when we put the turbo on we didn't install that didn't know if we needed. So then after the lean problems i thought well maybe the lines on the fmu are wrong nope perfect right back to the Stock FPR and fuel rail. I did some reading and it says for most FMU's you want a inline fuel pump but i dont really have the money for it my question is...will the 190 intank fuel pump be ok? or should i ditch the FMU get bigger injectors and use the 190?

Also i have a VAFC II coming so i thought maybe we could do some mild tunning as far as fuel goes. So i thought well let me get that vafc and will install the 190 fuel pump and see what happens. So do you think with the vafc 2 and the fmu and the 190 fuel pump be ok? Or should i ditch the FMU and use the VAFC2 and the 190 fuel pump and some bigger injectors like some DSM's?

I don't me to be confusing im just trying to be thuro so its eaiser to understand my situation.

As far as timing and everything else the car ran fine except for the lean problem.

Like i said before I'm only 17 and unlike every other kid with a civic in my city i decied to go Performance over show. When we had the turbo on there for line 2 days I was so sad that i had to wait 3 months more to get some more parts but now that I've been reading i dont think i will need to much more. Also i know that i should tune it with uberdata,AEM EMS or Hondata. But i plan on taking it to one of our local shops well its actully Sioux Falls, SD about 1 hour away and having the dyno tune it. Looking at everyone elses setups like mine there's seem to be doing just fine.

ANY FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED THANKS SO MUCH H-T
you been very help and thanks for the flamage

-Derrick
Old 01-12-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: After Reading Some FAQ's I have some questions Plz. (civproject14)

Bump For Late night information?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the inline fuel pump and fmu are good buddies

i haven't seen alot of people running the afc hack with alot of success.

just save up and get hondata
Old 01-12-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: (PrettyLude)

Well I just did some research on Uberdata I downloaded it. I sorta messed with it but goddam it looks confusing I mean I'm sure i could have some socket my ECU etc. but It looks a little complicated and if i did that would the 190 LPH fuel pump work with uberdata or would i also need some bigger injectors and ditch the FMU.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:59 PM

Go cheap and you'll be walking home soon....
Old 01-12-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: After Reading Some FAQ's I have some questions Plz. (H-T)

Yes I know this I'm just trying to find out the best way and the eaiset way. Without buy things that I didn't need in the first place and seeing if I can solve the problem with my current parts.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're on a really tight budget I would have suggested Uberdata, some DSM 450's and the Walbro fuel pump. Since you already have a fuel pump, the uberdata stuff and DSM 450's would have only cost another $200 plus another $50 or so to get somebody to socket your ECU. This is assuming that you already have a laptop with USB or serial connectors.

Uberdata doesn't look to be too hard to use. It's just that the values for adjusting fuel and timing have their own differnt meaning. Take for example an Apexi PFC for example, that values that you adjust in the cells for fuel are given in percentages of how many milliseconds the injectors are open. Or something like that. You just have to learn how to read the values in UD, then you can start your own tuning. If that is too hard for you, then maybe you could find somebody closeby that knows how to tune uberdata.

http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/forum/
Old 01-13-2005, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After Reading Some FAQ's I have some questions Plz. (BlueShadow)

Couldnt you find a used blue box and stick it on there. My freind has it ex civic with 6psi and it keeps a pretty good a/f ratio. Thats with stock injectors and pump. Just an idea.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you're running the FMU with just your stock fuel pump you are leaning out BADLY - stop boosting until you fix your fuel system. If you want to keep the FMU get an inline high pressure fuel pump, the intank pump can not handle the fuel pressures your FMU generates. Stop boosting before you blow your motor.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just check out keebler's right up on uberdata. That will help you understnad some things. It is a piece of cake to use. If you need someone to socket your ecu, I can help you out. I would suggest going to the link above and reading up. That is by far the best way for EMS for a budget.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:09 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (93turbo16)

Probably the cheapest way for you to go is get rid of the FMU and buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Do not buy an inline fuel pump. Then when you get your VAFC, just tune a little bit with that. Again, stay away from inlines. I had one until I got tuned and it made me idle rich and run dangerously lean. And when I took it out and put in a Walboro 255, I gained 30hp and my A/F was corrected tremendously (just from put the fuel pump in).
Old 01-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dunc)

^^^ for an FMU an inline fuel pump is the only safe way to provide that much fuel pressure. I'm not recommending it for use w/ larger injectors or any other fuel system setup (unless pushing rediculous HP!)
Old 01-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (notoriousB)

What if you use a high pressure in tank pump with an FMU??
Old 01-13-2005, 11:55 AM
New User

Default Re: (boosted-delslow)

The Bosch pump you can get in-tank if it is modified, but otherwise you can use it inline. It will hold up to the high pressures of the FMU setup.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id say for managment...dsm injectors or if you dont feel like screwing around with the resistor box crap and boring the seals get these http://stealthmodeperformance.com/injectors.shtml ,and uberdata for budget.... find a bin file that relates to your setup and burn it to a chip, or have somebody do it for you for cheap..i had a guy on homemadeturbo.com do mine for me, 75 bucks. talk to xenocron on there..he's also on g2ic.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted-delslow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted-delslow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What if you use a high pressure in tank pump with an FMU??</TD></TR></TABLE>

it still can't give as much pressure as a ~7 psi FMU setup would need.

~7 psi w/ a 12:1 FMU is around 125 psi of total fuel pressure, intank can't supply that
Old 01-14-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Re: (notoriousB)

I appreciate everyone ones opinions and help. I think I'm going to sell the FMU on eBay for some extra money. Install the 90LPH in-tank fuel pump get some bigger injectors just a bit bigger. Using the stock FPR and the fuel rail. I Figure i will just not even get the VAFC II seems like a waste of money. I will just have someone socket my ECU. I was reading that write-up kebbler did (very good by the way) Playing around with uberdata seems to be fairly easy. Condsidering the damn VAFC II runs almost $300 i think ill pay like 100 bucks for someone to socket my ecu so i can plug my labtop with my usb cable into and just play with it tell she runs like a champ.

Apprecatie it guys.
-Derrick
Old 01-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (civproject14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civproject14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Playing around with uberdata seems to be fairly easy</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heck yah it is, it took me less then 15 minutes to install uberdata v1.7 and the burner to my laptop. Learning how to make my own stock map and turbo basemap is pretty easy too, and it took less then 30 seconds to burn it. Oh yah, it shouldn't cost you $100 to get somebody to socket you ECU. The parts all cost $15 and I've seen people offering socketing services for anywhere between $35-$75, but dont pay any higher then $80.

Check out Blown90Hatch or Kenji and see how much they would charge you for socketing services. Before you do any of that thought go to the uberdata forums.

check out the uberdata forums, and ask any questions that you may have over there.
http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/forum/index.php

Also check out Keeblers site if you haven't already done so.
http://home.mn.rr.com/keebler65/honda/index.html