Notices

Aeromotive FPR 1:1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeromotive FPR 1:1?

Link to Jegs ----->http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...465&prmenbr=76

Is this Aeromotive FPR 1:1? I need to know, because I'm going to go Hondata and they say to use 1:1.

Another question too - Hondata says to use 1:1 FPRs on 440cc injectors, but what if I want to run 550 cc injectors? Am I supposed to stay with the 1:1?

I would use the search function if it worked...

[Modified by Stock@$$GSR, 12:39 AM 3/29/2002]

[Modified by Stock@$$GSR, 12:39 AM 3/29/2002]
Old 03-28-2002, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aeromotive FPR 1:1? (Stock@$$GSR)

All fuel pressure regulators are 1:1 by design.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Aeromotive FPR 1:1? (dustin)

How come Hondata only lists Vortech and AEM on their site? So it's OK to use the Aeromotive?
Old 03-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have that aeromotive regulator on my car.

Hondata probably didn't have a comprehensive list of all fuel pressure regulators that exist when making the list. hehe
Old 03-28-2002, 11:48 PM

OK, cool. I'll go with the Aeromotive. I'm assuming it's going to be good with the 440cc or 550cc injectors?

Another question regarding the FPR, does it replace my stock one or is it used in conjunction with it?

Thanks for your answers guys!!!
Old 03-28-2002, 11:48 PM
New User

what other fpr's are good that are bolt on?
Old 03-28-2002, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A 1:1 fuel pressure regulator is required in all fuel injected cars. Injector size doesn't matter

It replaces your stock fuel pressure regulator. You'll need to either get an aftermarket fuel rail or have your fuel rail tapped for fittings to connect to the aeromotive regulator.

Dustin
Old 03-28-2002, 11:59 PM

Ok, I just looked at Hondata website again, and it said it appears that I've been asking the wrong question the entire time!

Real question that needs to be answered: Is the Aeromotive a fixed 1:1 rising rate FPR that Hondata requires? Simple yes or no is all I need

Sorry for asking such ignorant questions, but the search don't work
Old 03-29-2002, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dustin i just saw a civic si that had the aeromotive threaded to the the top of the rail (yes it was aftermarket) but the regulater doesnt need to be mounted remotely like yours correct? i want to buy the aeromotive and wouldnt mind buying a new rail but the expense of ss line,hose ends changed my mind.

in short I CAN mount the fpr to the aftermarket rail w/ out all those fittings correct?
Old 03-29-2002, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Real question that needs to be answered: Is the Aeromotive a fixed 1:1 rising rate FPR that Hondata requires? Simple yes or no is all I need
Yes. I have it also.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:03 AM

Is the Paxton or Vortech a 1:1 also?
Old 03-29-2002, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All fuel injected cars use 1:1 regulators to compensate for vacuum/pressure in the manifold. Hondata is no exception.

The verbiage on the Hondata website is just telling you to remove any "Vortech FMU" type devices and use a normal fuel regulator.

Dustin
Old 03-29-2002, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the SX 1:1 regulator. Seen here http://mywebpages.comcast.net/turboc...el%20stuff.JPG. This is almost exactly the same as the aeromotive one that Dustin has.
Couple points of interest here:
1) The factory regulator does not raise fuel pressure under boost. Neither does the B&M, vortech, etc Fuel pressure regulator that connects to the factory regulator. And if they did, the crappy little diaphram inside would explode.
2) As far as mounting the aftermarket FPR. I would remotely mount it to something sturdy like the firewall or shocktower. Just because the extreme vibration that the unit would endure from its own weight hanging from the end of the rail.
3) This regulator will be fine with hondata. I am going to be using the SX along with RC 550s and my 3B.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aeromotive FPR 1:1? (93LSivic)

1) The factory regulator does not raise fuel pressure under boost. Neither does the B&M, vortech, etc Fuel pressure regulator that connects to the factory regulator.
It does too, the same way you manually increase fuel pressure by adding extra spring pressure with the B&M. It doesn't know the difference between force from a spring and force from manifold pressure.

This is not to say that bolting a ghetto adapter on to your stock regulator is necessarily a good idea. With seriously high flowing fuel pumps, the little stock regulator cannot flow enough to maintain normal fuel pressure in some cases.

And if they did, the crappy little diaphram inside would explode.
I sure hope not, because many people use the stock regulator hooked up to the intake manifold (read: stock fuel system) and that definately sees boost! Under full boost I see baseline fuel pressure + boost pressure on my fuel pressure gauge. So with 40psi atmospheric (30psi with motor on in vacuum) + 7psi boost you'd see 47psi. Since this is well within the limits of the stock regulator's strengh, I don't think any "crappy little diaphrams" are going to be automagically exploding. Granted that if you are trying to boost 4 bar of boost on the stock regulator you may run into issues of some sort.

Dustin
Old 03-29-2002, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aeromotive FPR 1:1? (lucas569)

is the aeromotive really that heavy that it can hang off the rail?
dustin i just saw a civic si that had the aeromotive threaded to the the top of the rail (yes it was aftermarket) but the regulater doesnt need to be mounted remotely like yours correct? i want to buy the aeromotive and wouldnt mind buying a new rail but the expense of ss line,hose ends changed my mind.

in short I CAN mount the fpr to the aftermarket rail w/ out all those fittings correct?
Old 03-29-2002, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aeromotive FPR 1:1? (lucas569)

You can mount the regulator to the rail. It's not all that heavy. Just make sure there isn't much tension load on the lines that run to it.

If I was going to do that personally, I would use a steel -6an to -6an adapter w/o rings to connect it to the rail (instead of aluminum).

Dustin
Old 03-29-2002, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) The factory regulator does not raise fuel pressure under boost. Neither does the B&M, vortech, etc Fuel pressure regulator that connects to the factory regulator.

It does too, the same way you manually increase fuel pressure by adding extra spring pressure with the B&M. It doesn't know the difference between force from a spring and force from manifold pressure.

This is not to say that bolting a ghetto adapter on to your stock regulator is necessarily a good idea. With seriously high flowing fuel pumps, the little stock regulator cannot flow enough to maintain normal fuel pressure in some cases.

And if they did, the crappy little diaphram inside would explode.

I sure hope not, because many people use the stock regulator hooked up to the intake manifold (read: stock fuel system) and that definately sees boost! Under full boost I see baseline fuel pressure + boost pressure on my fuel pressure gauge. So with 40psi atmospheric (30psi with motor on in vacuum) + 7psi boost you'd see 47psi. Since this is well within the limits of the stock regulator's strengh, I don't think any "crappy little diaphrams" are going to be automagically exploding. Granted that if you are trying to boost 4 bar of boost on the stock regulator you may run into issues of some sort.

Dustin
Here is Dustin's full post, as I could not see it prior to quoting his post !

In regards to this... I thought that the stock fpr was incapable at rising the pressure with a stock pump (In which case the previous statement would be true) ?
An FPR is capable of rising the pressure with an aftermarket pump which typically flows a higher pressure, which you must actually reduce psi to prevent injector damage... or is this not so ?
Old 03-29-2002, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aeromotive FPR 1:1? (X2BOARD)

Here is Dustin's full post, as I could not see it prior to quoting his post !

In regards to this... I thought that the stock fpr was incapable at rising the pressure with a stock pump (In which case the previous statement would be true) ?
We aren't using a Vortech FMU here, so it is not like we are trying to maintain 125psi of fuel pressure at the rail. The stock pump is capable of maintaining 50psi of fuel pressure at decent flow (read: low boost levels).

An FPR is capable of rising the pressure with an aftermarket pump which typically flows a higher pressure, which you must actually reduce psi to prevent injector damage... or is this not so ?
I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here... "Flows a higher pressure" ? hehe. You aren't going to be damaging any injectors at 50psi of rail pressure. An aftermarket pump may be able to maintain higher pressure at a given flow rate, but it does not cause the pressure. Restrictions in the return line (read: the FPR) create fuel rail pressure.

Dustin
Old 03-29-2002, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here... "Flows a higher pressure" ? hehe. You aren't going to be damaging any injectors at 50psi of rail pressure. An aftermarket pump may be able to maintain higher pressure at a given flow rate, but it does not cause the pressure. Restrictions in the return line (read: the FPR) create fuel rail pressure.
I obviously cannot relate what I have heard about rising rate FPRs... umm...I am actually drawing a blank trying to rephrase this right now (in the middle of a system conversion )
I'll try to simplify: Can an aftermarket FPR actually raise pressure, or just reduce it ? (at idle/WOT)

Old 03-29-2002, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most (all?) aftermarket fuel pressure regulators are adjustable, yes (baseline fuel pressure). The rise rate is always 1:1, the nature of the beast.

Dustin
Old 03-29-2002, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll try to simplify: Can an aftermarket FPR actually raise pressure, or just reduce it ? (at idle/WOT)
both... u can set the base pressure inbetween 30and 70psi on the aeromotives i believe... when wot; the regulator raises pressure at the rate of 1psi per every 1psi of boost the regulator see's from the vaccum line
Old 03-29-2002, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aeromotive FPR 1:1? (ek9t)

both... u can set the base pressure inbetween 30and 70psi on the aeromotives i believe... when wot; the regulator raises pressure at the rate of 1psi per every 1psi of boost the regulator see's from the vaccum line
Can anyone explain how this would be beneficial in a basic setup ? {In other words... does 1psi increase in FP net any gains w/o the aid of an FMU or upgraded pump ? Does it drastically change with an FMU ?
Old 03-29-2002, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone explain how this would be beneficial in a basic setup ? {In other words... does 1psi increase in FP net any gains w/o the aid of an FMU or upgraded pump ? Does it drastically change with an FMU ?
Higher static fuel pressure will deliver more fuel per injector on time than lower fuel pressure. That's what it is good for.

Dustin
Old 03-29-2002, 01:36 PM
New User

I dont' know about on integras, but on a '99-00 civic si, the factory regulator does not increase pressure under boost. This has been verified by people (such as sonny) using an in-car fuel pressure gauge & a boosted hondata setup

-Xerxes
Old 03-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aeromotive FPR 1:1? (Xerxes)

I'd like some verification, considering then that a B&M regulator /would not work/ to raise fuel pressure on said Civic Si.
Inside the regulator, there is a diaphram that blocks fuel return. One side of the diaphram has a spring on it to maintain factory fuel pressure. On the spring side of the regulator, there is a nipple. This connects to the intake manifold. Thus, if one wants to increase static fuel pressure, they will need to effectively increase downward force on the spring side of the diaphram. There are 2 ways to do this:

1) Increase spring pressure
2) Increase pressure (or lack of vacuum, mind you) on the spring side of the diaphram.

The 1st method is how the B&M regulator adds fuel pressure (or lowers fuel pressure, for that matter). Adding positive pressure on the diaphram side (boost) does the exact same thing.

The regulator doesn't know vacuum from boost... it's just a diaphram with a spring.

Perhaps his fuel pump could not flow enough to maintain fuel pressure under boost?

Dustin

Quick Reply: Aeromotive FPR 1:1?