Notices

AEM EMS controlling e-coutout / valve to put stock exhaust back on - experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 01:14 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default AEM EMS controlling e-coutout / valve to put stock exhaust back on - experience?

anyone have experience with these setups? i am interested in putting the stock exhaust on and having a dump pipe routed somewhere under the car. i want to put the stock exhaust on for emissions testing ...

and have the AEM EMS control the ecutout so that it opens when boosting / heavy accelerating and closes during cruising or light throttle.

do the e-cutouts seal good enough to take a car in for emissions testing? i have an obd2 car so they dont use the sniffer, just check the stock ecu for codes, which i can drop in the car relatively easily...i think the stock ecu will idle 310cc injectors, and then i can drop in 550s otherwise...

tony@jotech... i might have this project for you soon... hmmm if this works...i have a thermal 3" exhaust for sale!!
Old 08-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AEM EMS controlling e-coutout / valve to put stock exhaust back on - experience? (falconGSR)

A couple companies make reliably sealing e-cutouts. But I'd be a little worried about the longevity of the stepper motor controlling the valve. IF you have it ECU controlled I'm sure it will open/close many more times and much more often than it was designed.

I am contemplating using a e-cutout. But just using it manually.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:00 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: AEM EMS controlling e-coutout / valve to put stock exhaust back on - experience? (MarkC)

yeah i'll have to contact qtp and dmh to see about the long term effects. dmh seems to have a 4 year warranty. i have some ideas for a controller box that would allow it to be used on any turbo honda with any fuel management setup plus a delay to keep it open between shifts for max performance and minimize it opening/closing unnecessarily. you could set it to open at any point in vacuum/boost level or by how far you press the gas using the TPS signal.

and of course an override switch so you can rev on people at lights with open downpipe. haha thats part of the fun of owning a honda right ( ) and then quickly close it when a cop rolls up... and a disable switch so it stays closed kinda like valet mode or emissions testing mode or something.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AEM EMS controlling e-coutout / valve to put stock exhaust back on - experience? (falconGSR)

The thing will slowly open when you start to boost, then start to reverse when you let off to shift, then start to open when you boost again. Just run a manual switch to it, the motor isn't going to like all that abuse.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:06 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: AEM EMS controlling e-coutout / valve to put stock exhaust back on - experience? (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The thing will slowly open when you start to boost, then start to reverse when you let off to shift, then start to open when you boost again. Just run a manual switch to it, the motor isn't going to like all that abuse.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how long does it take to go from open to closed? thats what the delay is for, to keep it open during shifts. perhaps a manual switch is necessary if it takes too long to open and close. but having it automatically open would be pimp!

Old 08-23-2003, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not fast enough. It takes about 5 seconds for the valve to open or close. Just put it on a manual switch.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a mechanical e cutout attached to the gaspedal would be sick too part throttle would still be pretty quiet, and cam it so it opens at anything past half throttle to wide open at WOT

edit that would be an m-cutout
Old 08-23-2003, 03:47 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: AEM EMS controlling e-coutout / valve to put stock exhaust back on - experience? (FFgeoff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FFgeoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a mechanical e cutout attached to the gaspedal would be sick too part throttle would still be pretty quiet, and cam it so it opens at anything past half throttle to wide open at WOT

edit that would be an m-cutout</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes this is what i was trying to do. ok so it takes a few seconds. ok no AEM EMS control then..but i want the cutout still...hmmmm
Old 08-23-2003, 05:01 PM

yeha man that would be great to have it be controlled by the AEM by i dont think it would work.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS controlling e-coutout / valve to put stock exhaust back on - experience? (Soon_2b_evil)

wouldn't be easier to take a switch that controle the e-cutout and use it as a sensor to your ems, so when this switch is open, means that your e-cutout is open, so use a different map/boost, or evrything needed
Old 08-28-2003, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS controlling e-coutout / valve to put stock exhaust back on - experience? (Soon_2b_evil)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soon_2b_evil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeha man that would be great to have it be controlled by the AEM by i dont think it would work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it would certainly work, per say, like you wanted it to open after the TPS reads 75% for instance. However, like someone else stated, it takes a few seconds to open up....so i dunno if it would be worth your while.

but you can make plenty of outputs from the ems.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:50 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: AEM EMS controlling e-coutout / valve to put stock exhaust back on - experience? (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but you can make plenty of outputs from the ems. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah. i am using an output to turn on my wideband only when the engine is running. otherwise it was coming on before the engine was started. also, my gauges dont turn on until the car is started either. works great.

main problem with putting stock exhaust back on and making this all work: lack of room to make the split before the cat. I'll need a new custom downpipe that splits off with the e-cutout on it, and my wideband o2 sensor will have to be rerouted somewhere upstream of the ecutout split.

there isnt much room:

the stock cat will come all the way up to the nearest part of the flex pipe...still working on it.

other issue : slow opening of the e-cutout... looking at using a DC-to-DC converter to step up the voltage to the motor to 18-24v to speed up the opening. this may or may not work and will probably shorten the life of the motor ... other options include sourcing a different motor or trying to use some sort of solenoid for faster opening.

i've been preoccupied with trying to figure out how to discretely mount a radar detector to my motorcycle
Old 08-28-2003, 04:35 PM
New User

Originally Posted by f
and of course an override switch so you can rev on people at lights with open downpipe. haha thats part of the fun of owning a honda right ( [img
http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif[/img] ) and then quickly close it when a cop rolls up... and a disable switch so it stays closed kinda like valet mode or emissions testing mode or something.
Mmmmm. Fun with relays Sounds like a good project. Be sure to let us all know how it works out

The EMS can easly output a signal using just about any combination of parameters you can think of. As for the speed and longevity of the actuator motor, Thats your weak link. Heres an interesting thought. You might be able to fab something up using an electrical cruise control motor from a 92-95 Civic or any Integra. Those work very fast and can be remotly mounted to operate the cutout using the cruise control throttle cable and a return spring. You just need to figure out how it is controled. Hmmmm........(sound of a hamster wheel turning)

Mike