Notices

Advise for my b16 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise for my b16 turbo

Hello Honda-tech,

This is my first post here, I'm looking for advise on my slow going build. My goal is to have a nice weekend warrior, with occasional trips to the drag strip, so a street/strip setup. Parts i have so far, are
GE sleeved b16a bored to 81.5
eagle rods, wiseco pistons 9.5.1 compression,
type r head, with supertech valve springs, retainers, and valves, skunk2 tuner 2 camshafts, and aem cam gears,
BRMS ram manifold running a PTE 5858 .63 ar.

My concern is with the skunk2 tuner 2 cams, they're from my old block when I was running running a high compression LS-V. Ive been reading that they are comparable to the Pro1 series but with longer duration, so I'm not sure if these will hurt my current build. I do have some spare GSR cams that I can use.

I'm planning on running e85, and hoping for 450 hp, with room to grow to 600 hp. this is my first time going turbo, so any help is much appreciated.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Advise for my b16 turbo

Your overall build list seems OK for the target outputs, the Tuner 2's may work but generally the school of thought is that they work better with larger turbo's and more high rpm drag focussed builds. Maybe some Tuner 2 users can chime in on their experiences.

The GSR cams are proven and provide a sensible alternative.

Just check the wrist pins on your Wisecos, the standard off the shelf pin is risky when approaching 600whp.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your input Extremeracer,

I'll keep the wristpins in mind when I start turning up the power.

My general plan for this was start off with 4xx hp, have fun with it and get use to it. After a season or two start upgrading to better support 600 plus, like better intake manifold, clutch and drivetrain. I currently have itr manifold, and a itr tanny with a 4.7 fd. Any recommendations on a clutch? I'm thinking on a CC stage 4. B16s dont make a ton of torque, so i think a stage 4 will suffice.

Anyone with experiance with the tuner 2's? I will be reving to 9000 rpms.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo99

Anyone with experiance with the tuner 2's? I will be reving to 9000 rpms.
Again, the experience is to not use them at all. This is due to the fact that there is too much overlap to dial out with these camshafts with that particular turbo size. RPM level is irrelevant
Old 07-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Again, the experience is to not use them at all. This is due to the fact that there is too much overlap to dial out with these camshafts with that particular turbo size. RPM level is irrelevant
I wasn't sure if RPM level was relevant. I'll run my gsr camshafts in the mean time, I'll do some more research on which camshafts I should run. I appreciate your input Shodan.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:59 AM

We can help you with that now.. I'll save you the keystrokes and bandwidth.

In the last 6 years, true turbocharger camshafts have come into light. No longer are the B-series people resorted to finding out which higher output NA cam can do the same job outside of the ITR/CTR circle. Sure. The Pro1 is an option, similar to the Tuner2 (in terms of secondary lobe profile) but that's for turbochargers over 61lbs/min and larger. Your 5858 is not that size. Regardless of the power output potential.

You want a camshaft specifically made for turbochargers that give results pound-for-pound? Look to:
-GSC Power Division T1 camshafts
-Kelford 176-T camshafts

Want something that does better than the ITR/CTR family because you can't find a trustoworthy pair of ITR/CTR camshafts? Or you need something that's C.A.R.B. legal? Look to the entry level camshafts
-Skunk2 Tuner 1
-Edlebrock 4730

Honestly, that's it. Don't bother with the Brian Crower Turbo cam or N/A camshaft, don't bother with all that other nonsense. If you're going to research more, spend the time on what I've just presented. You'll be better for it.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stock cams might be better then you think. GSR/ITR are both great choices upgraded cams are not really needed until making crazy power
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
We can help you with that now.. I'll save you the keystrokes and bandwidth.

In the last 6 years, true turbocharger camshafts have come into light. No longer are the B-series people resorted to finding out which higher output NA cam can do the same job outside of the ITR/CTR circle. Sure. The Pro1 is an option, similar to the Tuner2 (in terms of secondary lobe profile) but that's for turbochargers over 61lbs/min and larger. Your 5858 is not that size. Regardless of the power output potential.

You want a camshaft specifically made for turbochargers that give results pound-for-pound? Look to:
-GSC Power Division T1 camshafts
-Kelford 176-T camshafts

Want something that does better than the ITR/CTR family because you can't find a trustoworthy pair of ITR/CTR camshafts? Or you need something that's C.A.R.B. legal? Look to the entry level camshafts
-Skunk2 Tuner 1
-Edlebrock 4730

Honestly, that's it. Don't bother with the Brian Crower Turbo cam or N/A camshaft, don't bother with all that other nonsense. If you're going to research more, spend the time on what I've just presented. You'll be better for it.
Originally Posted by 2kdrift
stock cams might be better then you think. GSR/ITR are both great choices upgraded cams are not really needed until making crazy power
That narrows my search a ton, I was trying to source a pair of ITR/CTR, but as you said its hard to find a good pair. I don't have to worry about it being C.A.R.B. legal. Passing emissions in Illinois is another story. I'll definitely will be looking into the GSC, and the Kelford camshafts. I'll switch over to the GSR camshafts for now, and see what power i can make. Again, I appreciate the input.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
That graph is all the turbo, very little utility of the camshaft. Get a GSC on there, and you'll better use of powerband, and not just some peak number.

Come to think of it, I still have a T3/T67 in the same configuration around the lab somewhere. Always been a nice little piece.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

point is the stock camshafts do well in a large range of setups, 600HP is cakewalk for GSR cams its not really necessary to go bigger. that graph may have not been the best example but there are plenty of others out there all anyone needs to do is look.

look what lighting teg has done with his ITR's great power band and making good power