Notices

advice on a turbo for gsr.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on a turbo for gsr.

I have a 94 usdm gsrin a 93si. Everything is stock besides basic bolt on's. I have a stage one exedy clutch that i just put in 1000k ago, and I also have a act 12.5 flywheel.

I want to put a turbo on my car, but the only problem is I do not know **** about them. I tried searching to get as best info as I could but nothing is strait forward enough to understand.

Would it be better to peice a kit your self, or to buy a complet kit? The ebay kits seem like they would break in two days and the nice kits are way to much. I want to keep my setup within a 1200-1500 dollar range if it is possible. I need a setup that will be reliable, and I do not want to buy something thats going to make my car a money pit.

What is a good turbo to go with? I am looking to boost only 7 pounds and want to make about 240whp or the max amount of hp I can at 7 pounds. This is also going to be my daily driver. From what I've read it seems that a T3/T4 would be a good choice. The thing that I do not understand is the specs of the turbos. What are all the different specs that come on a turbo and the role that play, and how do I know what the right specs are for me? Also is the internal wastegate better than the external?

Thank you.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: advice on a turbo for gsr. (Tealeg88)

cheap, fast, reliable

pick two
Old 04-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: advice on a turbo for gsr. (yehiknowrite)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yehiknowrite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cheap, fast, reliable

pick two</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. You can try to piece together your own kit to make your power goals. The cheapest way to get a kit would be to look in the classifieds section on here to see if anyone is selling a complete kit for cheap. Other than that boost gets to be pretty expensive. For a turbo I would go with a t3/t4 50 trim or 57 trim on your gsr. For you being new to force induction just read up on the subject and look at other peoples set up to get good ideas of what to do when it comes time to do your own kit.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: advice on a turbo for gsr. (Tealeg88)

This is a major project, and if you don't have the funds coming in wait, and save until you are ready. Piece it together over time, that is what I did. If your motor is in good shape you will make more than 240 whp on 7psi with a decently sized t3/t4/ I made 272whp on 7psi with a 57 trim.

Good luck and don't skimp on anything. Get a chipped obd i ecu with a conversion harness, have a base map made for when you install the set up then get it tuned ASAP. The health of your motor will depend on the tune so do it right, and do it right the FIRST time!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:42 PM

Default Re: advice on a turbo for gsr. (GS-R Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GS-R Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is a major project, and if you don't have the funds coming in wait, and save until you are ready. Piece it together over time, that is what I did. If your motor is in good shape you will make more than 240 whp on 7psi with a decently sized t3/t4/ I made 272whp on 7psi with a 57 trim.

Good luck and don't skimp on anything. Get a chipped obd i ecu with a conversion harness, have a base map made for when you install the set up then get it tuned ASAP. The health of your motor will depend on the tune so do it right, and do it right the FIRST time! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-14-2006, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: advice on a turbo for gsr. (em1 Ziggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GS-R Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do it right the FIRST time! </TD></TR></TABLE>

best advice you can get. it's not cheap going the f.i. route, or n/a for that matter. you always have to be prepared for the unexpected, i.e. money in the bank .

pick a quality kit or quality parts if you're building a custom-kit, and find a tuner in your area and figure out your best ems option.

good luck
Old 04-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

***Forced Induction Forum FAQ*** has plenty of threads what will provide you with all the information you'll need to get started.

Get some reading glasses and get started...
Old 04-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i definitely don't think you'll be happy with a kit you put together for 1500. a good dyno tune alone can 1/3 of that. truth is, if u won't have the funds to match up for the project, don't jump into it. after i put together my first kit, i really wish i just did everything the right way from day 1.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

There's a bunch of good tuners in Chicago, and I know a neptune (engine management) tuner a bit north in WI. Tuning isn't that bad around here.

If this is the first time, double the expected cost - then you won't run out of money, at least not for a while.

I'd recommend getting a IC piping kit (just a bunch of bends) and some good couplers, since that civic can get by with just bends. The rest you need is a cheap log manifold, a good turbo, a cheap FMIC, and some sort of fuel management. Uberdata = free (and good with a good tuner), Hondata = not that pricey, yet good, Neptune = the cat's ***, AEM = not for 'casual boost'. You could stick to stock exhaust and have almost any local exhaust shop make you a downpipe for a good price.

For you I suggest: johnnyracecar fmic, hondata s200, unwelded IC piping, 50trim t3/to4 w/.63 ar turbine housing @~11psi, and maybe a BMC log manifold or equivalent. If keeping AC, make sure the log will work with AC.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

hey mna we live in the same town ... ill hit you up on your cell sometime