Notices

Advanced Online Turbo Calculators

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Online Turbo Calculators

Sorry, I know some if not most here may already know of this but I found it interesting since it offers more input variables than most other known online turbo calculators and it also features output for predicted turbine flow unlike any other turbo calc I've seen.

Squirrel Performance had a cool multi-point RPM plotter for compressor maps, and Boost Adviser is ok for a quick and dirty idea on the compressor end of things however a recent discussion with Shodan on my own personal search for a newer turbo has lead me into researching turbine flow variables which have a big say so on spool characteristics so I think this calc is a step ahead of the rest...

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/afterma...6_wrsin=92044&
Old 01-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Advanced Online Turbo Calculators

I've always found the squirrel calculator to be way too high in its boost level estimations, like way too high.

The MatchBot is the best one I've found but it can be confusing for this who don't know about things like turbine expansion, swallowing, turbine efficiency, shaft speed, how EGTs and AFR affect things, etc.

They have little question marks by the various input parameters that briefly explain what each is but again if you don't know what each does and really means you can get lost pretty quick.

Also even though it only shows BorgWarner maps you can take the airflow and pressure points and plot them yourself on any compressor map that is displayed in pressure ratio and lb/min. For other maps that might show pressure and airflow in different values you can easily convert them over.

What I really like is the MatchBot will show you the percentage of exhaust being wastegated, the minimum required wastegate diameter, and if the wastegate is being cooked for a given displacement, boost level, turbine housing size, and turbine wheel size.

I've also found it accurate in its output calculations as far as torque power, backpressure EGTs, IATs, etc. ,,
Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wantboost
The MatchBot is the best one I've found but it can be confusing for this who don't know about things like turbine expansion, swallowing, turbine efficiency, shaft speed, how EGTs and AFR affect things, etc.

They have little question marks by the various input parameters that briefly explain what each is but again if you don't know what each does and really means you can get lost pretty quick.
I concur, it is alot of info which the avg consumer may get a bit overwhelmed with. I for one don't own an EGT probe and wouldn't know the avg EGT's by RPM for my engine so for these figures I'll have to read up and generalize which may not be of any help for accuracy but going back to the calculator itself I like how it offers these variables unlike leaving them out and not dumbing it down as Boost Adviser was since Garrett didn't feel the consumers using it should pay much mind to the turbine side of things.

Originally Posted by wantboost
Also even though it only shows BorgWarner maps you can take the airflow and pressure points and plot them yourself on any compressor map that is displayed in pressure ratio and lb/min. For other maps that might show pressure and airflow in different values you can easily convert them over.
I was almost going to point that out in my initial post but figured it was a given since the plotting is the same on a graph regardless of the brand...good stuff though so figured I'd share....

I did also notice links to Youtube tutorials on how to use it so this could only help

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/afterma...bot/part1.html

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/afterma...bot/part2.html

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/afterma...bot/part3.html

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/afterma...bot/part4.html
Old 01-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea the big problem is most people only pay attention to the compressor side not realizing it's only half of the equation. You can have the best compressor side with a turbine side that makes the turbo act like a dog.