Old 04-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Adding a heater core to turbo coolant lines: Discuss the pros/cons

I will. Thanks
Old 04-02-2019, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Adding a heater core to turbo coolant lines.

Originally Posted by Mr.Death
My wastegate is what is preventing me from fitting a SPAL as its in the way. I may have to modify the wategate somehow to make room for the shroud.
Yes you might have to. But I would consider it a requisite to have a good flowing fan. You could probably get some threaded rod and bend it in an S shape to get the WG at a better angle. Also I was thinking your constraint was the fan motor, but your intake pipe looks like its far enough away.

If you got a SPAL fan that was equivalent in diameter to what you have now, you're saying it wouldnt clear?

Woefully inadequate? I wouldnt go that far. lol. How many single cams do you know of that make good power that have been operational for over a decade? Thats gotta say something. I know the cooling aspect of the setup needs work and thats why I asked. This setup only heats up if I get on it HARD.
Thanks.
If youre hitting 220 "after beating on it hard" then yes, the fan you have is inadequate. I guarantee a SPAL would keep it at a much lower temp. It might be running all the time but it would definitely help.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My apologies! The SPAL will fit! Its the Flex A Lite shrouded ran fan that will not clear my wastegate. My bad. I will order one soon but in the meantime I think I will try the idea I had. See what happens. Thanks
Old 04-03-2019, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with the spal fan and never look back... why get all crazy when you have simple solution to a simple problem.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:49 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by b16racereg6
Go with the spal fan and never look back... why get all crazy when you have simple solution to a simple problem.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The problem as i see it that with a closed loop there you dont have a presure relief mechanism like we have with the normal car rad.
Youll have to chech if the mini rad will endure pressure elevation due to deperature.Longer expansion happy hoses will help the situation.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
The problem as i see it that with a closed loop there you dont have a presure relief mechanism like we have with the normal car rad.
Youll have to chech if the mini rad will endure pressure elevation due to deperature.Longer expansion happy hoses will help the situation.
he is not looking to make a second separate cooling system for the turbo. He is going to run the cooler in series with the rest of the existing cooling system; heater core hose from block to turbo, turbo to cooler, cooler to heater core.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
he is not looking to make a second separate cooling system for the turbo. He is going to run the cooler in series with the rest of the existing cooling system; heater core hose from block to turbo, turbo to cooler, cooler to heater core.
Ahhh ok. though it was about a second closed loop with a water pump.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, I would think that your idea of using a heater core can help with cooling, but I'm not so sure by how much.

The main factor you will need to consider is how you are going to get air to flow through it.

Ducting from a fog light opening to the core opening and then to a low pressure area would assure airflow goes through the core.

------

I would really look into ducting for the radiator, I know you tried and it didn't work out but you might just need to spend more time getting creative assuring that you can get as much of a pressure differential between the front and back of your radiator.

Even if the shroud needed to be built around the intake I think it would be possible.

An air dam under the bumper cover will help too, the lower you can make it the better. The science here is simply blocking air from going under the car which lowers air pressure under the engine bay, lower pressure in the engine bay will improve airflow across your radiator and intercooler since they are seeing high pressure from the bumper cover opening.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MauricesExoticP
OP, I would think that your idea of using a heater core can help with cooling, but I'm not so sure by how much.

The main factor you will need to consider is how you are going to get air to flow through it.

Ducting from a fog light opening to the core opening and then to a low pressure area would assure airflow goes through the core.

------

I would really look into ducting for the radiator, I know you tried and it didn't work out but you might just need to spend more time getting creative assuring that you can get as much of a pressure differential between the front and back of your radiator.

Even if the shroud needed to be built around the intake I think it would be possible.

An air dam under the bumper cover will help too, the lower you can make it the better. The science here is simply blocking air from going under the car which lowers air pressure under the engine bay, lower pressure in the engine bay will improve airflow across your radiator and intercooler since they are seeing high pressure from the bumper cover opening.
great info! I will keep experimenting with these ideas.