Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Adding a heater core to turbo coolant lines: Discuss the pros/cons (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/adding-heater-core-turbo-coolant-lines-discuss-pros-cons-3335556/)

Mr.Death 04-01-2019 10:25 AM

Adding a heater core to turbo coolant lines: Discuss the pros/cons

Hello! Been years since I posted last. Here goes. My setup is a CRX with a D16Z6 running a GT28R turbo (edelbrock kit, well most of it), tuned and running 11 lbs. The car makes 235hp/200ftlb torque to the wheels and its been that way for years now. Good parts and a good tune along with not beating on it daily keeps it alive. Anyhow since day 1 Ive had issues with the car running too hot. At times I have to run the heat on to cool things down which helps. Coolant temps can get up to 220 in the summer.....

First off their is no air is in the system I can assure you of that. I upgraded to a half size fluidyne rad years back with a high flow fan and it helped a little but not that much. The rad fan doesnt have a shroud as there is no room for one. I understand it will help with a shroud but with no room Im outta luck.... I tried using a block off plate to steer the air through the rad, didnt help. Water wetter? Tried that. Ive tried just about everything to keep temps down to 180ish with little luck. I just drive the car in the cooler months now and its fine but if I get on it for too long temps rise!

Solution.

I had the idea to run a small heater core to the coolant lines after the coolant has exited the turbo to cool down the fluid going back into the block. The coolant that comes out of the turbo it smoking hot as you would imagine so cooling this should aid in keeping temps lower. Has anyone tried a similar setup and if so what were their results? Thanks.

Mr.Death 04-01-2019 11:41 AM

re: Adding a heater core to turbo coolant lines: Discuss the pros/cons

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...421bff1f54.jpg

Mr.Death 04-01-2019 11:42 AM

This is the heater core I plan on using. Fits right beside the rad where the block off plate was till I removed it.

Chance EG 04-01-2019 11:51 AM

Interested to see how this goes. I've seen it done before with people shoving a small secondary heat exchanger in the fog light area of Civics and Integras.

I don't see any reason why it would cause problems assuming the system is bled correctly and you still have the drain from the turbo properly hooked up to the heater feed/inlet.

2x0 04-01-2019 12:06 PM

1. What fan are you using?
2. What coolant?
3. FMIC dimensions and core type?
4. What does your front bumper opening look like for air flow?
5. Using heat wrap on exhaust? Turbo blanket?

Had same issue as you, and these were all items I had to address to solve it.

Also I don't think that auxiliary heat exchanger will flow enough coolant to drop temps significantly, maybe a degree or two at highway speeds. Otherwise would you be putting a small fan on it to move keep air moving?

Mr.Death 04-01-2019 01:11 PM

Type of fan? Dont remember brand. Bought it years ago but I do remember it was a very high flow fan.
Type of coolant? Tried oem mixed to different ratios. Tried water and water wetter alone. Tried many different mixes. Been there , done that , got the shirt.
FMIC? Precision 350 hp model. No cheap stuff here. 26 3/4"L X 6 1/4"H X 3 1/2"D
Front bumper opening? I will fetch a pic. stay tuned.
Heat wrap? yes, on downpipe. Turbo blanket? No.

Mr.Death 04-01-2019 01:32 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...d3224786de.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...2d00f8b0cb.jpg

Txdragon 04-01-2019 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Death (Post 51901187)

I had the idea to run a small heater core to the coolant lines after the coolant has exited the turbo to cool down the fluid going back into the block. The coolant that comes out of the turbo it smoking hot as you would imagine so cooling this should aid in keeping temps lower. Has anyone tried a similar setup and if so what were their results? Thanks.

You're speaking my language now! I like this idea, I'd say run with it. I wouldn't see why an A/C condenser fan wouldnt have the flow capability, and should be able to find one to fit pretty close. **shrug** Your intercooler has near dead nuts full exposure too.

You pushing the turbo to its limits?

Mr.Death 04-01-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51901372)
You're speaking my language now! I like this idea, I'd say run with it. I wouldn't see why an A/C condenser fan wouldnt have the flow capability, and should be able to find one to fit pretty close. **shrug** Your intercooler has near dead nuts full exposure too.

You pushing the turbo to its limits?

Not at all. The turbo is capable of more but its a stock block so I dont want to push things. The injectors are getting close to their limits though. The power it makes now is more than I need for a street car. I just want it to run a little cooler so I dont have to turn the climate control heater on in the summer. Baking in the car sometimes.

Chance EG 04-01-2019 03:23 PM

I don't see any blanket on the turbo. A PTP blanket would reduce underhood temperatures and heat saturation significantly. Ceramic coating the manifold may also help.

The fan should be a Spal unit. Part #30100467, or #30102029 (slightly thicker) if you can fit it in.

Making a slit/air hole for flow at the front of the bumper can help as well. I'll add a picture in a second.

Edit: Cutting holes or adding ducting to direct air through the bumper as shown here would help.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...032162f69c.jpg

Mr.Death 04-01-2019 03:41 PM

There is a metal bumper under the areas you highlighted. Im not going to cut holes in that. Not very safe. The spal fan will not fit, Ive looked into before. The charge pipes are ceramic coated. A turbo blanket would help though.

2x0 04-01-2019 05:15 PM

Your radiator is not getting any cool direct air flow. What little air it does get, is already heated by flowing through the intercooler.

Yes, #1 get a turbo blanket, and consider venting the hood to reduce underhood temps. But overall what will help the most is getting some direct air to the radiator. It can be through the bumper, the hood, air ducts from the side or underneath the car.

I also tried everything just like you did and this ended up being the only way to keep mine running cooler. And a SPAL 30102029 puller for anytime below 50mph.

Try driving without the front bumper cover on once and you'll see.

Dee 04-01-2019 05:49 PM

Off Topic comment - Did you get that vacuum block from me? It looks like one of the items I helped H-T get many many many moons ago.

Add a simple shroud on each side of the bumper opening so air is forced to go to the rad and fmic.This will prevent the air from flowing to areas with lower resistance.

motoxxxman 04-01-2019 07:39 PM

I'll also add that the problem is solely because you have no airflow to the radiator. As mentioned, anything to do to get fresh airflow to the radiator will solve your problem. A turbo blanket will definitely help though

2x0 04-02-2019 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dee (Post 51901459)
Add a simple shroud on each side of the bumper opening so air is forced to go to the rad and fmic.This will prevent the air from flowing to areas with lower resistance.

That reminds me, one other thing I did is create a block off plate for the area to the driver's side of the half rad, so that any air going through the grille opening is forced to flow through the radiator rather than around it. This was good for knocking off a few degrees on the highway.

LightningTeg 04-02-2019 04:57 AM

Re: Adding a heater core to turbo coolant lines.

Originally Posted by Mr.Death (Post 51901395)
There is a metal bumper under the areas you highlighted. Im not going to cut holes in that. Not very safe. The spal fan will not fit, Ive looked into before. The charge pipes are ceramic coated. A turbo blanket would help though.

Definitely looks like a SPAL puller will fit. What you have now looks woefully inadequate.

Mr.Death 04-02-2019 06:13 AM

Re: Adding a heater core to turbo coolant lines: Discuss the pros/cons

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...9a06649b2c.jpg

Originally Posted by Dee (Post 51901459)
Off Topic comment - Did you get that vacuum block from me? It looks like one of the items I helped H-T get many many many moons ago.

Thanks for the reply. THe distribution block is something I put together myself at the local fitting store. Works great.

Mr.Death 04-02-2019 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2x0 (Post 51901568)
That reminds me, one other thing I did is create a block off plate for the area to the driver's side of the half rad, so that any air going through the grille opening is forced to flow through the radiator rather than around it. This was good for knocking off a few degrees on the highway.

I fabricated a block off plate. I didnt see any difference in temps when I installed it.

Mr.Death 04-02-2019 06:21 AM

Re: Adding a heater core to turbo coolant lines.

Originally Posted by LightningTeg (Post 51901607)
Definitely looks like a SPAL puller will fit. What you have now looks woefully inadequate.

My wastegate is what is preventing me from fitting a SPAL as its in the way. I may have to modify the wategate somehow to make room for the shroud. Woefully inadequate? I wouldnt go that far. lol. How many single cams do you know of that make good power that have been operational for over a decade? Thats gotta say something. I know the cooling aspect of the setup needs work and thats why I asked. This setup only heats up if I get on it HARD.
Thanks.

Mr.Death 04-02-2019 06:23 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...861b3f9ee0.jpg
I did vent the hood over the winter. Forgot to mention that, should help.

Chance EG 04-02-2019 06:47 AM

Consider a side mount/gangster tilt on the radiator so you can fit a proper shroud and the above mentioned SPAL fan? *shrug*

I mean a left/right tilt, not front/back. Not sure if you have room for that but if you could bump the radiator over even an inch it would open a lot more room.

Could also fabricate a plastic under body air dam attached to the face of the radiator or directly in front of it to scoop air from under the car.

2x0 04-02-2019 07:12 AM

My waste gate was also in the way of the SPAL fan if I centered it, had to mount it slightly offset to one side of the radiator to make it fit. The fan is still completely on the rad though, so it works fine.

OP it seems like you are just here to shoot down all valid ideas that people give you, or refute with "already did that" and no further info, simply because you have a turbo D series that has run for a decade :rolleyes:

Obviously you already know best, why bother coming here to ask us anything?

Good luck with your 220° ECT

Mr.Death 04-02-2019 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2x0 (Post 51901696)
My waste gate was also in the way of the SPAL fan if I centered it, had to mount it slightly offset to one side of the radiator to make it fit. The fan is still completely on the rad though, so it works fine.

OP it seems like you are just here to shoot down all valid ideas that people give you, or refute with "already did that" and no further info, simply because you have a turbo D series that has run for a decade :rolleyes:

Obviously you already know best, why bother coming here to ask us anything?

Good luck with your 220° ECT

Not shooting down your suggestions, just stating what ive tried and what has worked. Just looking for ideas outside the box. Never claimed that I know it all, lol. Just know what ive tried and what has helped. Turbo blanket is a great idea! SPAL if I can get it to fit? Great! Your ideas are helping!!! Not shooting you guys down....whatever I guess.

Its not like Im rolling around with my temps in the red, far from that. Just when I get on it for too long they do rise but are easily brought down with turning on the heat. Thats why my idea of running the turbos own cooler came to mind. Just wanted to see if it was a thing. I like thinking outside the box. Thanks.

Dee 04-02-2019 08:32 AM

Shroud the FMIC and rad (sides, bottom and top) to make sure the air flows through them and then to the hood vents.

2x0 04-02-2019 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Death (Post 51901719)
Not shooting down your suggestions, just stating what ive tried and what has worked. Just looking for ideas outside the box. Never claimed that I know it all, lol. Just know what ive tried and what has helped. Turbo blanket is a great idea! SPAL if I can get it to fit? Great! Your ideas are helping!!! Not shooting you guys down....whatever I guess.

Its not like Im rolling around with my temps in the red, far from that. Just when I get on it for too long they do rise but are easily brought down with turning on the heat. Thats why my idea of running the turbos own cooler came to mind. Just wanted to see if it was a thing. I like thinking outside the box. Thanks.

Fair enough.

Then try it out and post your results. :shrug: