Notices

Adapter plate for Garrett compressor housing swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adapter plate for Garrett compressor housing swap?

I have a GT3076R with 4" anti-surge housing that came in my Full-Race turbo kit. I planned on swapping it out for a standard 3" inlet compressor housing. The reasoning behind this is I need more room for a bigger radiator fan and I barely fit a generic slim fan on there with a 4" intake/filter. It's a tight squeeze with a AC turbo manifold between the radiator/fan and slave cylinder on the tranny.

I'm hoping that by switching to a 3" inlet on the turbo I can run smaller piping and gain an extra 1.5" for clearance of a larger SPAL fan motor.

90F+ and traffic has been nothing but problems since I built this car. I'm going to try and fix things once and for all.

While shopping around for a housing I was informed I needed an adapter plate machined by Garrett to make the housing fit. Anyone ever heard of such a thing in order to swap compressor housings? I wonder how thick it is? Space is already an issue and anything closer towards the radiator isn't a good thing.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adapter plate for Garrett compressor housing swap?

I just talked to another source and they confirmed that I do need the backplate in order to swap compressor housings. My friend is familar with doing this so we're going to give it a shot.

Anyone ever replaced a backplate before. Any tips/comments?

Also anyone know the torque specs for the bolts?

I would call Garrett and ask but I can't seem to get a good contact number for them. Anyone have that?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 AM
official honda whore

i would contact blaastperformance as they can do this for you ( i was quoted 150 or somethign like that)
Old 07-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed the backplate on my journal bearing garrett...as long as you can rebuild a turbo it's cake. I'm not sure on the tq spec but it's a small fastener into aluminum so be careful. Make 100% sure the threads on your bolts are right. On the older T stuff (maybe GT?) they used both metric and standard bolts with factory locktite so gauling up the threads by accident is very easy to do. G-popshop.com is a great place to get any seals, the backing plate and other hardware you might need. They can give you tech info too.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried just using a 4in-3in reducer off the turbo and run a 3in pipe/intake?