Notices

Action clutch question... users please give some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Action clutch question... users please give some advice!

<FONT SIZE="4">NEW UPDATE! ACTION IS THE BIGGEST POS EVER. THE PRESSURE PLATE (DUAL DIAPHRAM) IS COMPLETE GARBAGE. HARD AS HELL TO PUT INTO GEAR AND TAKE OUT, just a bitch. Go ACT, save your time and money.</FONT>

Problem Solved! I adjusted the Pedal or rather the clutch master cylinder as far out as possible. And yes, Action clutch is just like they say "Linear like stock"

Exedy lightweight flywheel:

Love my set-up so far

Its 2:00...i'm reading a lot of threads on action clutch and so on. i just finished installing my clutch and i got a few questions. its a 2ks clutch.

is my pedal is stiff and grabbing right away when i let off the pedal, is that normal?
another question, why is my 1st gear hard to get into and hard to down shift?

i havent bled the clutch (working perfectly with my exedy stage 2), didnt take the slave or anything apart to have air in it. i mean is the PP designed to be that harsh? seems like my slave and master cylinder are too weak, but they were replaced by new 1s around last year. seems like 2/3 into pushing the pedal down it starts to work, so there is a lot of play. i have yet to adjust the pedal and dont think it will do much.

i like how it grabs, maybe its the exedy flywheel i put in...but i like. im just worried about premature wear on my clutch.

here are pictures of install:

I am sure I installed it correctly too. Could it be that the Action PP is too much and the master/slave can not push it?

Modified by ek9vboi2 at 3:00 PM 9/25/2005

Modified by ek9vboi2 at 8:35 PM 9/26/2005

Modified by ek9vboi2 at 8:35 PM 9/26/2005

Modified by ek9vboi2 at 10:39 AM 2/4/2006

Modified by ek9vboi2 at 10:40 AM 2/4/2006
Old 09-24-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Action clutch question... users please give some advice! (ek9vboi2)

The 2KS is a Dual Diaphragm Pressure Plate so its going to be harsher than most Single Diaphragm Plates that come in many of the popular kits out there.

Are you on a cable or hydro trans?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a hydro tranny. problem is i push the pedal down all the way to get it into 1st and it wont go in...its like i have to pump it to get the pp to disengauge in order for it to go into gear.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, going to try to change out tranny fluid.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, not the tranny fluid
Old 09-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek9vboi2)

As you can see, my old clutch was worn down. The PP however is almost in perfect shape, a little sanding will make it look like new. There are some burn marks from either the clutch wearing down or oil that got to the clutch (leaking oil from oil pan, but fixed now.)

I want to make sure if the exedy and the action clutch will hold it or not, I don't want to pull it apart and install it and then it slips on me. As for the Action PP, i have no clue what to do with it. Could it be that the PP is broken or there is a defect with it?
Old 09-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up..damn it
Old 09-25-2005, 10:00 PM

bleed that thing man...double check that the bolts holding the pp on are tight enough...i made that mistake once and it did what yours is doing...
Old 09-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (planeman01)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by planeman01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bleed that thing man...double check that the bolts holding the pp on are tight enough...i made that mistake once and it did what yours is doing...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't have much experience with hydro trannies, but it definetly sounds like an air bubble problem or your slave cylinder needs replacing.

This same situation would happen for a cable tranny if the line was loose.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its most likely hard to get into first because it might not be fully disengaging, I would try to bleed the system. There shouldn't be any problems with inadquite force from the clyinder, people have run way stronger PP's on hondas.

BTW: Im running the 2ks on my cable tranny, and yes its a bit stiff but works flawlessly. When I first put it in it took a bit of adjusting to dial it in right.

If after bleeding the system/adjusting the pedal, and it still doesnt help, mabye there is a defect, you never know.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blackack26)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blackack26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its most likely hard to get into first because it might not be fully disengaging, I would try to bleed the system. There shouldn't be any problems with inadquite force from the clyinder, people have run way stronger PP's on hondas.

BTW: Im running the 2ks on my cable tranny, and yes its a bit stiff but works flawlessly. When I first put it in it took a bit of adjusting to dial it in right.

If after bleeding the system/adjusting the pedal, and it still doesnt help, mabye there is a defect, you never know. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If he bleeds it, adjusts the pedal and there is still a problem, It's the slave cylinder.

I'd put a $100 bill on that one...

Old 09-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If he bleeds it, adjusts the pedal and there is still a problem, It's the slave cylinder.

I'd put a $100 bill on that one...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most likely
Old 09-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

I met up with a few friends today and they were all telling me to bleed it, which I will eventually get around doing it. (Tests and mid-terms...work )

Driving it was just crazy. Sometimes it went into gear and sometimes it didn't. I had to turn off and turn on the car while in gear about 4 times. Then the smell of something burning...?! I think its the clutch, but hopefully its not.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by planeman01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bleed that thing man...double check that the bolts holding the pp on are tight enough...i made that mistake once and it did what yours is doing...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used a torque wrench and double checked after. Its pretty tight
Old 09-26-2005, 04:36 AM

does it go into first easily when the car is off? It happened to me when the springs fell out of the hub from high rpm launches on a stock clutch, it wasn't letting the PP disengauge the entire way.

i know your springs are still in there so like the others said try bleeding it first and work from there
Old 09-26-2005, 05:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9vboi2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I met up with a few friends today and they were all telling me to bleed it, which I will eventually get around doing it. (Tests and mid-terms...work )

Driving it was just crazy. Sometimes it went into gear and sometimes it didn't. I had to turn off and turn on the car while in gear about 4 times. Then the smell of something burning...?! I think its the clutch, but hopefully its not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get it fixed!!! You're ******* up your synchros as well. I wouldn't touch the car until you bleed or change the Slave cylinder
Old 09-26-2005, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Get it fixed!!! You're ******* up your synchros as well. I wouldn't touch the car until you bleed or change the Slave cylinder </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bled the hell out of it by myself. Nothing.

I asked my sister to pump the **** outta the pedal while i bled it. Nothing

I adjusted the pedal! Yay! It works! x 5 But what I'm worried about is the pedal is set as far out as it can be...almost to the point where there is no thread left. I tightened it with the 12mm, so it should hold, but if it doesnt...boy im fwaked.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By the way...I know I should break in the clutch, but hell my car feels faster with the exedy flywheel.

Exedy products:
Action Clutch: So far so good, we'll see on the track how it holds out!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats crazy because I have the same clutch except its for a cable tranny and its acting the same way. (can't get it into 1st or reverse most of the time) I'm going to try adjusting the cable tomorrow and see if it changes anything
anyone eles have problems with the 2ks?

Modified by vtec'n at 11:16 PM 9/26/2005
Old 09-26-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: (vtec'n)

my 2ks was the same exact way...would engauge prretty much as soon as u let it off the floor and would have a hard time putting it in 1st and reverse...i just kinda lived with it, but finally adjusted the pedal cause i started missing gears cause it would engauge so fast. Plus it would always slip outta gear on the first run at the track when i dumped the clutch. i guess that was because the clutch was glazed possibly.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtec'n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec’n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats crazy because I have the same clutch except its for a cable tranny and its acting the same way. (can't get it into 1st or reverse most of the time) I'm going to try adjusting the cable tomorrow and see if it changes anything
anyone eles have problems with the 2ks?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The thing is, my car use to be automatic and i paid a shop to make it 5 speed. well they did it and i dont think they adjusted it right...that was when i was a sohc and didnt know crap. now i know better...

by the way, my exedy never acted like that either. Maybe b/c the pp has less load pressure on it.

but yeah, i would adjust the cables. i have never delt with cable...i was about to say adjust the pedal