Notices

Action 6-puck sprung clutch with ACT Xtreme pressure plate and XACT streetlite flywheel on 550 whp?

Old 10-15-2006, 08:34 PM
476 whp / 323 tq @ 17 PSI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Action 6-puck sprung clutch with ACT Xtreme pressure plate and XACT streetlite flywheel on 550 whp?

I'm going to run a fully built GSR turbo at 550whp. The car won't be daily driven but i will use it on the street. I've heard a lot of positive and negative feedback from both Action and ACT in different areas. I heard that the ACT xtreme pressure plate is real good but there 6-puck clutch is unprung and didnt receive good feedback. I heard that Action has the best clutches for your money but there pressure plate sucks. To have the best of both worlds I decided to run Action's 6-puck sprung clutch with ACT's Xtreme pressure plate and Streetlite (12.5lbs) flywheel. I also plan on using an OEM throw-out bearing. This set-up seems to be used commonly on many set-ups when i read the archives. I need as much feedback and opinions on pros/cons about this set-up, thanks!

<FONT SIZE="5">*edit* IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ ALL THE POSTS, JUST POST YOUR EXPERIENCES AND THOUGHTS ABOUT ACTION AND ACT. I NEED AS MANY OPINIONS AS POSSIBLE. AND HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT ME RUNNING AN ACTION 6-PUCK SPRUNG CLUTCH DISK WITH ACT'S XTREME PRESSURE PLATE AND 12.5LB FLYWHEEL @ 550WHP??????? </FONT>

Modified by JDM turbo DC at 10:44 PM 10/18/2006
Old 10-15-2006, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Action 6-puck sprung clutch with ACT Xtreme pressure plate and XACT streetlite flywheel on 550 w

bump for this hot guy
Old 10-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Action 6-puck sprung clutch with ACT Xtreme pressure plate and XACT streetlite flywheel on 550 w

i wound get a twin disk, i have act 6puck and xt. pressure plate it would slip at high boost
Old 10-16-2006, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the action 6puck sprung and believe me the disc sucks more than the pressure plate! i hate it and am ordering something else
Old 10-16-2006, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im using a act maxx et pressure plate and the act 4puck sprung and its works for so far.been in the car about 9months and i drove the car everyday till recently.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we were making around 450hp daily drive for over 20k miles with an act maxx extreme pp and act 6 puck disk with an act 8lb flywheel. when the motor goes back together we will probably be reusing the clutch. there wasnt very much wear on any part of it. its not very easy to drive, but it is easier than a comp clutch twin.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:51 AM

the drivability on the act 6 puck unsprung is fine. i have it and it helds fine. i have the xtreme PP and its not stiff at all. Cmon its hydro actuated it cant be all that bad. I also have the streetlite flywheel and i didnt notice a difference in dailiy driving. The only difference is it chatters a bit, but if you blip the throttle it wont
Old 10-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vg7z)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vg7z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the drivability on the act 6 puck unsprung is fine. i have it and it helds fine. i have the xtreme PP and its not stiff at all. Cmon its hydro actuated it cant be all that bad. I also have the streetlite flywheel and i didnt notice a difference in dailiy driving. The only difference is it chatters a bit, but if you blip the throttle it wont</TD></TR></TABLE>
hydro doesnt have anything to do with it.
maybe its fine i don't know but my action 6puck sprung chatters like hell. you really can't drive it! the disc is also to thin so its starting to slip when you press the padle just a little. and after 1000miles or so it started to squeek really bad! i wake the neigbourhood every morning.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by qfast817 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wound get a twin disk, i have act 6puck and xt. pressure plate it would slip at high boost</TD></TR></TABLE>

was that the ACT XTR6 clutch kit? if i dont get the action clutch, i will get the 6-puck unsprung clutch included in the ACT XTR6 kit w/xtreme pp.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: (vg7z)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vg7z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the drivability on the act 6 puck unsprung is fine. i have it and it helds fine. i have the xtreme PP and its not stiff at all. Cmon its hydro actuated it cant be all that bad. I also have the streetlite flywheel and i didnt notice a difference in dailiy driving. The only difference is it chatters a bit, but if you blip the throttle it wont</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much power are you running?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:50 AM

550 is pretty high and unofrtunitly puck clutches are the only way you could go

unless you wanted to get the higher end exedy single disc clutch racing clutch

but that is up to you

puck clutches will come down to the brand and the style (sprung,unsprung,ect)
Old 10-16-2006, 11:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18sihatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">550 is pretty high and unofrtunitly puck clutches are the only way you could go

unless you wanted to get the higher end exedy single disc clutch racing clutch

but that is up to you

puck clutches will come down to the brand and the style (sprung,unsprung,ect)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you prefer sprung or unsprung? Action or ACT?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:03 PM

i myself prefer the clutchmasters stage 4 4 puck sprung disc

but out of the 2 i prefer ACT sprung clutches

and resoning for sprung is that it puts less stress on your transmission than the unsprung puts. the sprung disc have been known to eliminate clutch chatter and the unsprung have been known to cause the clutch chatter

the unsprung adds more vibration to the transmission wihch could cause premature bearing failure and transmission problems

when it all comes down to it, it depends on the person who is using the clutch and if they want to run the risk of damaging the transmission and or flywheel

cos lets face it the rough puck materials arent that forgiving on the flywheel rather it be aftermarket or stock, it will eat the flywheel

i myself use the CLUTCHMASTERS stage 3 cx300 carbon kevlar full face race disc, i have read about people running 10s with this clutch, and the best part is the carbon kevlar is very very forgiving on the flywheel and pressure plate. with the ''XTREME'' pressure plate and the CX300 im looking at 120% holding capacity over stock which isnt too bad for a stage 3 disc
Old 10-16-2006, 12:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18sihatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i myself prefer the clutchmasters stage 4 4 puck sprung disc

but out of the 2 i prefer ACT sprung clutches

and resoning for sprung is that it puts less stress on your transmission than the unsprung puts. the sprung disc have been known to eliminate clutch chatter and the unsprung have been known to cause the clutch chatter

the unsprung adds more vibration to the transmission wihch could cause premature bearing failure and transmission problems

when it all comes down to it, it depends on the person who is using the clutch and if they want to run the risk of damaging the transmission and or flywheel

cos lets face it the rough puck materials arent that forgiving on the flywheel rather it be aftermarket or stock, it will eat the flywheel

i myself use the CLUTCHMASTERS stage 3 cx300 carbon kevlar full face race disc, i have read about people running 10s with this clutch, and the best part is the carbon kevlar is very very forgiving on the flywheel and pressure plate. with the ''XTREME'' pressure plate and the CX300 im looking at 120% holding capacity over stock which isnt too bad for a stage 3 disc</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much power are you running?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i refuse to install sprung pucked clutches... they are too prone to blowing the springs out if you drive like a jackass or dont know how to drive.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:15 PM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had clutchmaster stage3 setups, sprung, act stuff, and now an action 2md i just installed (dual diaphram, unsprun 6 puck).

couldnt be more happy with the action. seems to be an excellent product.

SOHC non vtec, 325 daily driven HP. never less than that either. 280 ish wtq
Old 10-16-2006, 03:04 PM

my setup is still in the mox but i am going to run 15-25psi on that clutch setup

my clutch setup is as follows

clutch/tranny

ls transmission
aftermarket LSD
pfi speed traction bar

act xtreme pressure plate
Clutchmasters stage 3 carbon kevlar disc
act xact prolite flywheel
arp pro flywheel bolts
arp pro clutch bolts

its 120% over stock which is pretty good but not only that it still gives me the street/race and good driveability being the kevlar backing isnt like the rough puck clutches

the thing you have to take into consideration

if you are running a unsprung puck clutch you will run the risk of ruining the flywheel/pressure plare from the rough puck materials and premature/bear/transmission wear could occur

if you run a sprung disc you have thesprings to worry about however like the other poster said if you dont know how to drive or drive extremely rough things can brake. discs can shatter

sprung or unsprung there are other variables to consider
Old 10-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

show me some proof that a unsprung clutch causes premature tranny wear... i put over 50k miles on my itr tranny with an act xtr4 and had NO issues with syncro or bearing wear... i have COUNTLESS customers with similar mileage if not more on unsprung clutches and zero problems.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:03 PM
NooB

i have a act 6 puck sprung clutch.actually im selling it on like 50 miles on it hit me up if ya want it.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:23 PM

well im gettin price quotes on the action 6-puck sprung clutch with the ACT extreme pressure plate and xact streetlite flywheel

bump for more opinions
Old 10-16-2006, 11:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM turbo DC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

bump for more opinions</TD></TR></TABLE>

you want my opinion? my car will <U>ALWAYS</U> be faster than yours haha jk!

NA is Best!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:06 AM

im not saying that the puck clutches are the cause of premature transmission wear, transmission wear has alot to do with how it is drivin/shifted and all that ****, you cant directly say that puck clutches will prematurly wear out your transmission, however its like the crankshaft pullies that dont have a dampner on it, it sends the shock from the pulley to the bearings and oil pump

this could be said as the same thing would happen to a solid disc, the disc would create ''chatter'' or shock and it could be sent to the transmission and then the transmission react however?

im definitly not saying that it could happen if you run a puck disc clutch, however there are other ppl who say that those puck clutches have ruined their transmission

again it could be directly related to overshifting the transmission reving it really high for long periods of time or the transmission is already worn and the puck clutches just add more wear to a worn out tranmission
Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 AM

^^ damn, that was even more bullshyt then your first post about the 6pucks ruining transmissions.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr.Hankey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.Hankey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ damn, that was even more bullshyt then your first post about the 6pucks ruining transmissions. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i'm with b18sihatch. if you got a clutch that chatters really bad than it will hurt your gearbox, axles and even your crank won't love it. a nice shift on a harch clutch can give a bigger schock than a bad shift on a stock clutch. if you dont believe me try my car! and yes i'm looking for a different clutch.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:24 AM

clutch chatter can be eliminated by stiffer motor mounts (more tough durometer bushings or it can be moderitly taken down.

im not bullshitting either. clutch chatter,transmission wear, flywheels being eaten/pressure plates being eaten

it all has to do with the driving habits, how hard do you shift, if you dump the clutch, how hard are you on your gearbox

there are other variables to transmission wear not just the disc itsseself but other things

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Action 6-puck sprung clutch with ACT Xtreme pressure plate and XACT streetlite flywheel on 550 whp?