Notices

action 2md vs 2ms vs act clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default action 2md vs 2ms vs act clutch

I tried to search about this, but the damn search function was down...as always. Anyway, I'm just wondering which clutch to get, I basically narrowed it down between the action 2md and 2ms, but I don't really know anything about them other than their '500hp' rating, like the clamp load, actual torque capacity, etc. I remember reading somewhere that the torque capacity was 450..? I previously wanted to get an act xxr6, but I keep hearing how horrible that is to drive on the street. I have an ls cable tranny, I do most of my driving on the street, and my goal is to Eventually exceed 600whp.
can the 2md/2ms do that? One guy one here said he had it for a year at 700whp..but I'm more than a little skeptical of that..

And about the sprung/unsprung decision: I know that all honda factory disks are sprung, to cushion the 4 cylinder's relatively high level of torsional vibration from the driveline. This guy at act told me that any time you accelerate, the springs bottom out anyway, (same thing when you engage the clutch, some people say sprung is easier to street drive, I say bs) so that the only time they really do anything is steady cruising..but he seemed kind of unsure..I know if I asked him how much torque it actually takes to botom out the springs, he would have no clue.

So how much torque does it actually take?? How about on the action 6ms disk?

Ok, so lets grant that the sprung hub is easier on the tranny when it is in gear. Then the unsprung is easier on the tranny when shifting, due to it's reduced rotational mass. What wears out on honda trannies first, synchros, or everything else? The synchros, right? So it would be safe to conclude that the unsprung is easier on the tranny overall, unless you have a very light flywheel that doesn't dampen the crankshaft's torsional acceleration/deceleration between firing impulses very well at all? (different from what say a fluidampr takes out, although they are related, obviously)
I have the act streelite flywheel, 12 lbs. Is that heavy enough to still make the longevity choice side with the unsprung?? I kinda doubt it..but I have no real way of knowing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated on this, and if you recommend a different clutch altogether, by all means, let me know, but know that im not rich..