Notices

act 'xxtreme' + full face organic disc? instead of 6 puck

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default act 'xxtreme' + full face organic disc? instead of 6 puck

I'm trying to figure out a clutch that i can drive on the street that will still hold a large amount of torque. I was wondering if I could use act's stiffest pp and an organic full face sprung disk, and have it hold up under 500+whp..? I don't powershift or abuse clutches in any way, I know the organic disk won't be able to take the thermal abuse like the copper ceramic metallic whatever.
Do any of you guys have any reccomendations on this, or maybe a different comparable brand with the same concept?
thanks
Old 10-21-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: act 'xxtreme' + full face organic disc? instead of 6 puck (rorik)

I think your daily driveability is more dependant upon your pressure plate, the stiffer it gets the harder it is to push in. I think pretty much any kit is daily driveable, including 6 puck kits. I think with that high of a HP level you should just go with a 6 puck setup so you dont have to think about it. Good luck either way
Old 10-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: act 'xxtreme' + full face organic disc? instead of 6 puck (B18TurboEF)

i have a six puck and it is totally stretable. just takes a little getting used to. engages pretty quik. its been about a year know and i still love it.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: act 'xxtreme' + full face organic disc? instead of 6 puck (sgtroseberry)

i run a 6 puck un-sprung clutch from Spec Clutches. its pretty good, but i happened to know a couple of guys and i got my stuff for free, i ended up being a prototype clutch tester. For a while they didnt send me good stuff, now i have a good 6 puck un-sprung with a 90% holding capacity over stock pressure plate. wouldnt trade it for the world. oh the one i have is made out of a Kevlar mix material, copper...something its been a while since i bought it.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: act 'xxtreme' + full face organic disc? instead of 6 puck (Importordomestic)

I run a unsprung 6 puck and i love how it has been holding up for the last 2 years... i just hate how it chews up the PP and flywheel. i'm thinking about puting together my own combo clutch myself.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: act 'xxtreme' + full face organic disc? instead of 6 puck (unbanned_evosol)

I have had an Action un-sprung 6 puck for about a year now...It holds the power great, but I'm annoyed with its engagement not fun to daily drive at all. So I'm in your situation right now looking for a full face that can handle 300tq if there are any.

I'm not up for buyin a multi disc
Old 10-22-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: act 'xxtreme' + full face organic disc? instead of 6 puck (Shmaa)

I'm about to purchase the act xtss which is the extreme pp and street disc. Everyone I know that has it likes the no chatter of the street disc but the setup will hold 320 ft/lbs which is good to like 450 hp or so in my gsr anyways.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm talking about using the 'maxx xtreme' pp and a street disc..
My concern is can the sprung street disk actually take that much torque? People don't normally twist them that hard..I'm wondering how fragile the actual spring assembly is. I also don't know how much torque this setup would actually be capable of holding..anyone?
Old 10-22-2005, 10:59 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (rorik)

It might be able to hold it, but I personally hate my maxxtreme. Its a unsprung 6 puck and for some ungodly reason has started slipping on me with maybe 260 whp. I wish it was something else related but my guess its probably the Pressure plate.

Plus it is not a daily driven friendly clutch
Old 10-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95GSRTT)

clutches are rated for how much tourque they will hold not hp. u ever notice when yer in a car with a dead clutch when does it slip? lower rpm when u have the tourque when u start to hit HP if not to wasted it will start to grab again get it? i have always ran act's stuff go to there website they have nice little graph where u can taylor fit a clutch to yer specific needs. when im deciding on a clutch i think about how much HP im trying to get minus 100 and thats how many ft lbs i try to get like my motor i have now im shooting for 500 hp as well i figure theres no way im going over 400ft lbs so i bought a 400ft lbs clutch i love it totally streetable even though its a 6-puk. goodluck i guess i recomend an act extreme pp with 6-puk and an act 12lb flywheel
Old 10-23-2005, 10:14 AM
95GSRTT

yes I know they are rated in tq, but it being a honda, its not possible for me to have too much tq with my 260 whp .

Either way, I dont recommend ACT. I even talked to one of the guys here on HT that works for ACT. He wanted to hear more about it so he emailed me. I started to talk to him and ask him questions about what the problem may be yada yada. He just decided I wasnt worth his time or something and never responded back. Didnt exactly leave a good taste in my mouth, after he said he was interested in knowing what happend to my car.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the xtss clutch....i don't think it is good past 270 torque ....i feel it slip every once in a while...i would go with the sprung 6 puck....if you got the cash get the exedy twin disk....very streetable and will hold anything u throw at it
Old 10-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lucidvtec)

how much does the exxedy twin disk go for?
Old 10-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (tegasaurus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much does the exxedy twin disk go for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Around $1000
Old 10-23-2005, 01:30 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (tegasaurus)

it comes with a flywheel but they are usually closer to 1300
Old 10-23-2005, 02:31 PM

Action Clutch makes a 2KS clutch. Kevlar full face disc with a dual diaphragm heavy duty pressure plate. Will drive exactly like stock with 100% more pedal pressure over stock. The thing, is that it is only rated to 375hp, which is probably not enough clutch for you.

I know that in the past D-sport issues, they have project EG Turbo making over 500hp. I believe that they are running the RPS carbon clutch. I think that its a full face as well. You might want to check that out.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:58 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (Alchemist)

I think they were running the carbon carbon and its usually over 3k. Does action even make a clutch that could hold over 500 whp?
Old 10-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, for some reason it won't let me quote..wtf??
95gsrtt, that sucks..did you take your clutch apart to figure out what was wrong with it?

The rps max series is listed at 361/450 ft lbs full face/6 puck (same pp). price $595/652. I think the act max xtreme with the 6 puck is rated for like 480? And I think it's cheaper too.
The only rps carbon clutch listed for the integra is like $3300. I guess I'll look into the exedy twin disk, but damn, I was hoping to spend only like $600
Old 10-23-2005, 04:29 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (rorik)

I havent had my car for over 2 months so I havent had a chance to take it apart yet. This clutch didnt go more than 500 miles before slipping, so it definitely has to be a clutch/ MAYBE fluid/cylinder problem. Im leaning more towards clutch though.

I also had the RPS clutch, it was alright, I had their max PP, cant remember what its called and a full street disc. It wasnt as heavy as the ACT, but eventually got ruined due to a warped flywheel I believe. It was worn all around the middle of the disc and no where else, and i mean quite a few MM's more worn.

I then went with the maxxtreme and 6 puck unsprung and a 12 lb act flywheel. All was brand new and was installed correctly by a professional. So Im not positive on the problem. You may want to look into the 3 puck exedy clutch. Apparently they have had quite a few success stories with 500 whp and lasting a while.