Notices

ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ???

Ok... I searched but didnt find anything that really helped me...

Im just tired of my 6 pucks ( Action 2MS ) clutch cuz most of the time im on the street not on the track... so I dont think that I need a clutch like that...

If I run a good ACT pressure plate ( Mass extreme or Extreme ?? ) could I use one of their organic disk ?? ( is there many type of organic disk ? )

Do you KNOW if it would hold ? if someone have this setup I would like to know his feelings ??

look in my signature to get my numbers

Thanks !!
Old 11-08-2004, 12:44 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ??? (yellowturbo)

i have the act street disc right now and it ******* sucks . im only pushin a little over 200whp right now with the current setup so i bought an action 2md for the new setup....
Old 11-08-2004, 12:49 PM

yeah ok... but do you have the right pressure plate... when I was pushing 240 whp with my Greddy kit I was running a OEM Honda disk with a jobber double pressure plate and it was fine ??

So maybe you just have the wrong pp ??
Old 11-08-2004, 12:52 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

i have the act pressure plate.....the disc its self wont handle high horsepower either.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:55 PM

which one you were using ?? Its almost impossible... I just want to make things clear to be sure...

http://www.advancedclutch.com/plates.asp
Old 11-08-2004, 01:25 PM

Act makes two different orgainic disk, a Street Disk and Performance Street disk.

I currently run the Extreme Pressure Plate and the Performance Street Disk. For short (XTSS) If you perform a search on that term you'll get alot of hits. I just finished building my D-series and am breaking her in all motor for now, so I can't really tell you how much power it will hold from my own experience. But this combo is rated by ACT at 270 ft/lbs of torque.

But from a all motor driving aspect I was actually pleasantly suprised how smooth the engagement was. The pedal preassure isn't too bad over stock considering this is their Extreme Preassure plate. Can't wait to get boosted.

My 2cents
GL

Old 11-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ??? (yellowturbo)

I'm currently running the ACT Street Disk and HD Pressure Plate. I believe it is supposed to hold 240 ft lbs of torque. I'm hoping it will hold with my new boosted setup for a little while, but I'll probably end up going to a 4 or 6 puck with a better pressure plate eventually.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ??? (RyanCivic2000)

no organic disk is gona hold the power for long, and if you ever drag race you can kiss the clutch good bye. the material just gets cooked when you slip the clutch.

if you want something soft look into a kevlar clutch disk... maybe the action 2ks i believe??
Old 11-08-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ??? (JDogg)

remember, static friction vs kinetic friction.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The XTSS (extreme pressure plate with street disc) is supposed to handle 319 lb/ft of torque (99-00 Si). Someone on here posted that this equals approximately 450whp. I have an XTSS, and my goal is 350whp for the street. After looking at several manufacturers' 6 puck designs (my clutch and pressure plate are still good, but I want to replace the disc since I'm doing a rebuild anyway), I decided to stick with the ACT organic. It's ironic that you want to get rid of your 2MS. The sprung Miba was what I wanted to use with my ACT pressure plate. Because of the H-T hype, a generic company like Action, who don't even have a website, is able to charge $200 for a clutch disc that isn't anything special. I picked up a brand new ACT 220mm organic disc for $139 shipped. Their 6 pucks were less than $100 shipped!

"i have the act street disc right now and it ******* sucks . im only pushin a little over 200whp right now with the current setup..."

Could you be more specific other than "it ******* sucks?" Why did it suck, especially with 200whp? ACT does make good clutches. Only negatives I can think of: occasional squealing when starting off when it's hot or humid. Some people don't like the stiff pedal on the Extreme pressure plates, but I love the feel.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ???

NO!
Old 11-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ??? (turbotypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ???

NO!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a street disc. With 534whp and 340 ft lbs torque I'd agree with you, but he's not making that much power.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:39 PM

Default Re: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ??? (B16A Grenade)

I have been running the ACT xtss on my turbo d16 for 8 months. I rape my car hard daily and my clutch grabs hard everytime. I made 216whp/181wtq at 10 psi and I run that daily, but I also turn the boost up every once in a while when racing to 12-14 psi and it holds up just fine.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:20 AM

Default Re: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ??? (B16A Grenade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16A Grenade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The XTSS (extreme pressure plate with street disc) is supposed to handle 319 lb/ft of torque (99-00 Si). Someone on here posted that this equals approximately 450whp. I have an XTSS, and my goal is 350whp for the street. After looking at several manufacturers' 6 puck designs (my clutch and pressure plate are still good, but I want to replace the disc since I'm doing a rebuild anyway), I decided to stick with the ACT organic. It's ironic that you want to get rid of your 2MS. The sprung Miba was what I wanted to use with my ACT pressure plate. Because of the H-T hype, a generic company like Action, who don't even have a website, is able to charge $200 for a clutch disc that isn't anything special. I picked up a brand new ACT 220mm organic disc for $139 shipped. Their 6 pucks were less than $100 shipped!

"i have the act street disc right now and it ******* sucks . im only pushin a little over 200whp right now with the current setup..."

Could you be more specific other than "it ******* sucks?" Why did it suck, especially with 200whp? ACT does make good clutches. Only negatives I can think of: occasional squealing when starting off when it's hot or humid. Some people don't like the stiff pedal on the Extreme pressure plates, but I love the feel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool thanks for this constructive reply ! Well when I was running my Greedy kit and pushing like 240 whp, I was running a Honda OEM disc with a jobber double pressure plate and it was holding pretty well until I change my setup and doing like 280whp and up on the dyno it was slipping at higher rpm... the pressure plate was maybe not like a ACT xtss...

Many people told me that its the pressure plate who do the most of the job.... so im pretty sure that pucks disc are over kill for the street... especially for my kind of power.... I dont think to go over 350 whp next summer.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:35 AM

Default Re: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ??? (turbotypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ???

NO!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt mention wild HP application loll
Old 11-09-2004, 07:07 AM

Why dont you just get an Action Kevlar disc, since you already hade the Action dual diaphram pressure plate. I have the 2KS on my daily driven LS Turbo and I love it. Clutch bites hard but still engages like stock.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:31 AM

Cuz I dont really like the idea that kevlar is supposed to slip when its hot...
Old 11-09-2004, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a XTSS(extreme pressure plate with street disc) and it hold up perfectly.

My car wheight 2600lbs and my best 60ft so far is 1.67.
I like this clutch a lot more than my hold 6 puck+ stock pressure plate setup.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it will work to what it is rated at. I have pushed 400whp to a Street disc from ACT without any probs.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:30 AM

sweet this is what I was thinking... I runned a similar setup without any problem... but the OEM Honda disc wear out pretty fast loll
Old 11-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellowturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cuz I dont really like the idea that kevlar is supposed to slip when its hot... </TD></TR></TABLE>

nah, kevlar is nice... grabs hard and is smooth.. alot better than your standard organic disks..
Old 11-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ??? (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will work to what it is rated at. I have pushed 400whp to a Street disc from ACT without any probs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Impressive. What pressure plate were you using?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ??? (RyanCivic2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Impressive. What pressure plate were you using?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I asked him the same question on his PM ... I want to know !!

I think that I will go with this setup for the next summer... Many people like this combo...
Old 11-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

xtreme pressure plate. with that combo its rated at 320ft lbs off the top of my head. if you are building a super xtreme set up then go with the puck. if not, there is really no need.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ??? (itr206)

kevlar WILL slip when it gets hot, just like organic discs will SMOKE.

so if your so wirred about a kevlar slipping, i would be just as worried about watching an organic go up in smoke

which means your best choice is a 6 puck.

if you dont want a 6 puck i would look at the levlar becasue it lasts alot longer than the organic disks. in the end all that keeps the organic and kevlar disc from slipping is the strength of the pressure plate.

Quick Reply: ACT organic street disc, are they ok for high HP application ???