Notices

'99 Si Wheel hop...Would new springs, shocks, struts help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '99 Si Wheel hop...Would new springs, shocks, struts help?

Already have Quaife LSD (made the situation worse), and urethane motor mount inserts. Riding on Yokohama AVS ES100 205/50/15, stock rims. I know about traction bars for the Si not being that great. Not a suspension expert, but something about the lower control arms being different than other Civics make it difficult to mount properly. Z10 destroys bushings. Full Race has some new ones, but the mounting point isn't that great on the Si.

So, I figure, maybe it's time to upgrade the stock suspension. Maybe Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/Konis, Bilsteins or someting cheaper? I can't see myself adjusting my shocks, so I really don't need the adjustability.

Has anyone had success with this, and if so could you list what you bought? Thanks!

Old 07-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '99 Si Wheel hop...Would new springs, shocks, struts help? (B16A Grenade)

adjustable shocks are fun why not get them!?

need more info as to what kinda of setup your looking for? do you value a comfy daily driver? can you handle a stiff *** suspension?

a prokit wont help much because they are barely stiffer than stock. maybe with an adjustable shock they would..
Old 07-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '99 Si Wheel hop...Would new springs, shocks, struts help? (kabaroo)

I'm not totally against adjustable shocks. It just seems like one more thing to go wrong, and I'm trying to keep the cost low. A stiff suspension doesn't bother me as long as it helps stop the wheel hop. I live in the land of potholes, so the suspension has to be able to handle the possibility of abuse from that. That's about it other than I don't want to drop the car that much so it won't scrape.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '99 Si Wheel hop...Would new springs, shocks, struts help? (B16A Grenade)

Hmm for the price of strut/spring combo, you might be able to get a Traction Bar.

Z10 and Full-Race make them. Im not sure how much they help, im just saying it might be an alternative to a stiffer suspension.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '99 Si Wheel hop...Would new springs, shocks, struts help? (Vtaaak y0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtaaak y0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm for the price of strut/spring combo, you might be able to get a Traction Bar.

Z10 and Full-Race make them. Im not sure how much they help, im just saying it might be an alternative to a stiffer suspension. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man, but I guess you didn't read my first post. I have a '99 Si.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel your pain. Wheel hop is my nemesis and I've learned alot about it trying to rid my car of wheel hop. Sticky tires and a LSD will only make it worse from the increased traction. You have the solve the problem at its root. Suspension flex - not motor flex.

Upgraded bushings in your front suspension, specifically the front LCA's will help tremendously. Springs and shocks have nothing to do with wheel hop.

And if that doesn't totally solve your problem than some form of traction bars will.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '99 Si Wheel hop...Would new springs, shocks, struts help? (Muckman)

Thanks Muckman, I've been doing some reading and would like to get urethane bushings. I haven't seen any kits that include just what I need. Summit sells Prothane kits for my car for $280. Energy kits start at $122 for who knows what kind of car, and they both include things that I may not need. Seems really pricey for just urethane. I'd like to take care of everything at once, including springs and shocks because of the labor cost involved. I'm a big guy and don't get many passengers, so my car is visibly tilted to the driver side. So what do you think? Should I just do the front LCAs or would other bushings in the front and rear be of benefit?

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

On a side note, it just seems like this forum has turned into a place for people to stroke their egos with high horsepower figures, "new" manifold designs and self perceived tuning prowess by some egotistical kid with a groupie following. (I'm sure you know who I'm talking about) Although I have to admit I enjoy the bickering, posts like mine that may help others are for the most part ignored because I'm not part of the bandwagon community looking for 600whp. I just have a POS Greddy kit on a street car and would be more than happy if I could just get the power to the ground. Anyway, sorry to bitch!
Old 07-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the Hyper-Flex kit for my car that comes with all the bushings you'll need. Bushings are a real pain in the *** and time consuming to install. Make sure you have access to a press. I say take a weekend with a friend and just do them all at once to feel the biggest improvement.

And if your worried about the tilting, you can have your car corner weighted but a performance suspension shop.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '99 Si Wheel hop...Would new springs, shocks, struts help? (Muckman)

Thanks man! I'll order the Hyper Flex kit tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My solution to my wheel hop was to just totally ride the clutch. I got much better 60's that way.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fixed my wheel hop with my J's engine dampener. It makes a big difference. The traction bars should help as well.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys!