Notices

99 civic ex what do i use for a temporary management system.That will hold up for about a month

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 05:54 PM
I AM A SCAMMER, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ME.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 civic ex what do i use for a temporary management system.That will hold up for about a month

I have a 99 civic ex and its currently turbo'd and iam saving up to get some reall good management for it so i can tune.. i am looking for somthing that will allow me to run for about a month until i get my good management.. but until then i was wondering can anyone ginve me some ideas as to what i can use until then..

All i have now for it is aem fuel rail and adjustable fuel reg..

Any ideas?? thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic ex what do i use for a temporary management system.That will hold up for about a month

Stay out of boost and use the stock ecu.Save your time and money and do it once.
Glenn
Old 01-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic ex what do i use for a temporary management system.That will hold up for about a month

stock ecu!!! are u ******* kiding me!!!! even if you stay out of boost your motor is toast in a week, at least.

pick up greddy e-manage on ebay cheep and then resell it when you get better system.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teg racer 877 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock ecu!!! are u ******* kiding me!!!! even if you stay out of boost your motor is toast in a week, at least.

pick up greddy e-manage on ebay cheep and then resell it when you get better system. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How is that? If you aren't boosting, there are no additional fuel demands required and also no need for ignition retard. So how is this going to "toast" your motor?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, maybe you should have held off on installing the turbo kit until you had enough for good engine management.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when you "stay out of boost" there is still AlOT more air coming into the motor than stock, therefore you need more fuel than the stock ecu can provide, so it will run lean and toast. just cuz you dont press the petal very much doesnt meen the turbo isnt spooling.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How is that? If you aren't boosting, there are no additional fuel demands required and also no need for ignition retard. So how is this going to "toast" your motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

im with hybrid on this one.. dont boost the motor.. shift at an easy 2500-3000 u should be fine..
Old 01-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teg racer 877 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you "stay out of boost" there is still AlOT more air coming into the motor than stock, therefore you need more fuel than the stock ecu can provide, so it will run lean and toast. just cuz you dont press the petal very much doesnt meen the turbo isnt spooling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you only understood what you are arguing, you might have a valid point...

Sure, with a turbo, there is more air coming into the engine at the same given throttle position then without. The turbo will assist in cramming more into the engine, but its still not boosting. So long as you don't see posative manifold pressure, its NOT going to cause any trouble. The ECU has tables and can understand more air. More air = less vac which the map sensor will see and accomodate accordingly. If you don't go into boost, the ECU can and will properly maintain the "stock" amount of fuel and ignition. Is it something I would say is reccomended for a long time? No.. Can it be done with carefull throttle modulation for a short period of time? Certainly.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get an FMU and missing link map bypass, at least then you could boost a little, wouldn't go over 6 psi though.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mstolars &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just get an FMU and missing link map bypass, at least then you could boost a little, wouldn't go over 6 psi though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't trust an FMU any farther then I could throw it.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teg racer 877 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you "stay out of boost" there is still AlOT more air coming into the motor than stock, therefore you need more fuel than the stock ecu can provide, so it will run lean and toast. just cuz you dont press the petal very much doesnt meen the turbo isnt spooling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG
my wideband never showed me running lean when i ran stock ecu and injectors with turbo and no boost
Old 01-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WRONG
my wideband never showed me running lean when i ran stock ecu and injectors with turbo and no boost</TD></TR></TABLE>

And it wont for reasons I already explained..
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
WRONG
my wideband never showed me running lean when i ran stock ecu and injectors with turbo and no boost</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info here I was not sure about this. Thanks
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you think they used before other fuel management options were available? FMUs have been proven to work time and time again. Still, save up for the standalone, its definetly worth the wait.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Run your engine one the stock ECU and dont boost, just like everyone said. If you want, you can take the spring out of the wastegate and that way you definitely wont be boosting.

Whoever said that there is a need for more fuel than the stock ECU can provide is an idiot. As long as there is no positive pressure, how can the ECU not provide enough fuel? Stock ECU's are capable of handling values of up to 1psi, and certainly up to atmospheric.

Dont even waste your time with an FMU, you will run rich as crap and cake everything up with carbon, not to mention waste gas and get horrible cruising gas mileage.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:33 PM

an FMU is the only viable solution to this puzzle. Because anything else will cost the min of 200 bucks (afc, e-manage) which already is a good chunk of change towards good fuel management.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:52 PM

Thank you all who replied.It was helpfull
I only will be driving it to work and school so i guess i will be ok.. thank you all
Old 01-30-2006, 03:56 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't trust an FMU any farther then I could throw it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you
Old 01-30-2006, 04:41 PM

What about doing the dsm hack and use radioshack resistors someone pm''d me and suggested that.. ??? can anyone shed some light on this
Old 01-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUST2SPOOL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about doing the dsm hack and use radioshack resistors someone pm''d me and suggested that.. ??? can anyone shed some light on this</TD></TR></TABLE>

Freaking WHAT?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUST2SPOOL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about doing the dsm hack and use radioshack resistors someone pm''d me and suggested that.. ??? can anyone shed some light on this</TD></TR></TABLE>

you mean afc hack with dsm injectors
and that sucks and its dangerous
Old 01-30-2006, 05:05 PM

Tanks iam just going to save for the greddy emanage ultimate
Old 01-30-2006, 07:15 PM

Why dont you just take the spring out of the wastegate that way you wont boost for sure.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why dont you just take the spring out of the wastegate that way you wont boost for sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats not a gaurantee and its still not a stock fuel map with all of that hooked up.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:53 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

A very well tuned VAFC will be okay to run.. I have a friend running the OBD!! ECU on his civic and he is tuned with just an AFC APEX and he runs more than 18PSI daily for over 2 1/2 years... His car runs low 12 everyday.

Quick Reply: 99 civic ex what do i use for a temporary management system.That will hold up for about a month