Notices

98 Civic EX with B16A5 swap and JRSC, It wont stop spitting and sputtering!! HELP PLZ

Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 98 Civic EX with B16A5 swap and JRSC, It wont stop spitting and sputtering!! HELP PLZ

What I have is a 1998 civic with a B16A5 swap and a Jackson Racing Supercharger running about 10psi. When I get into higher rpms it starts an intense spit and sputter. By higher rpms, I mean 4500rpms and up. The spitting and sputtering to me feels like a spark issue. But I do not know enough about a car with my setup to make that call..

Mods include:
-The B16A5 swap has about 50k miles on it, but the blower was rebuilt a little over a year ago.
-This car has always had castrol syntec oil in its pan and shell V-power in it's tank.
-Jackson Racing Supercharger(full kit) the supercharger was rebuilt about a year ago, new bearings and seals. the oil in it though has not been changed since.
-NGK plugs (iridium) and wires (newer oem distributer, distributer cap, and rotor)
-hondata s200 w/ boost option
-Innovate LM-1 wideband and XD-16 guage
-Thermal r&d catback exhaust
-AEM dryflow air filter
-Fresh timing belt, pully, and water pump

My known issues of the car are:
-My wideband sensor became unplugged from the lm-1 hand unit which caused no power to the sensor and as far as i know, it burned up the sensor and now does not work properly.
-JRSC idler pulley is making some noise. It sounds like the bearings are going bad.
-The ground wire terminal connector has a crack which causes the ground wire to be a little bit loose but still tight enough that I cannot pull it off by hand.

What i have done to try to fix my issue:
-I have replaced the NGK iridium plugs with all new plugs.
-I have replaced the cap and rotor.
-I have replaced the catalytic converter (it was making a rattling noise, I replaced it because I did not know if the loose parts in the cat were causing a blockage in the exhaust.
-I have replaced the fuel filter (oem).

I hope this is enough info for somebody to help me try to diagnose my issue.

With all of that being said, this is my second honda, my first being a 89 prelude si. This car though is a first for me, I have never owned a vehicle with mods comparable to this one. I bought the car the way it is, I do know quite a bit about cars myself, but the supercharger is a whole new ball game for me. Honda cars themselves are. I am trying though, trying hard.