Notices

98 Civic coupe turbo build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Civic coupe turbo build thread

OK guys I just picked up my 98 Honda coupe 5 speed last night. 175k on the clock and it seems to run like a champ minus jumping out of second gear at times. Mostly in normal slow traffic driving.
Car is currently 100% stock.

My immediate plans are rims and tires as it failed inspection this afternoon and I can't get it titled till I fix the shot tires on there.

Next up Turbo kit. Before I order this I wanted to be sure this is the correct kit and what I want to get

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33742

I'll get some pics up of the car soon. It's black and body is mostly good. Few dings that can be paintless dent removed. Clear coat and finish is good though which is awesome.

I understand I may need to change this to ODBI right and get a hondata S300. That sound right? Show me the way fellas. I'm completely new to Hondas. If you're really bored and want to read my start to this site and Hondas check out this thread
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/can-you-turbo-honda-civic-motor-cobra-owner-asking-2907985/

Otherwise let the info roll and I'll update the thread with progress.

Oh and goals, this car is a toy so learning about turbos, making power and most importantly having fun.

Malcolm
Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 98 Civic coupe turbo build thread

Here ya go!

http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcar...s-c-23_24.html

http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcar...sses-c-28.html

yes to convert to obd1 you will need a conversion harness
Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Pics please:-)...seems like a good project. I'm sure the clutch will be the first thhing to go out. Their are many tuning softwares u can use. For ur setup id go with chrome. Just find out if ur tuner uses chrome.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and yes that would be the proper kit for that car/engine.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
OK guys I just picked up my 98 Honda coupe 5 speed last night. 175k on the clock and it seems to run like a champ minus jumping out of second gear at times. Mostly in normal slow traffic driving.
Car is currently 100% stock.

My immediate plans are rims and tires as it failed inspection this afternoon and I can't get it titled till I fix the shot tires on there.

Next up Turbo kit. Before I order this I wanted to be sure this is the correct kit and what I want to get

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33742

I'll get some pics up of the car soon. It's black and body is mostly good. Few dings that can be paintless dent removed. Clear coat and finish is good though which is awesome.

I understand I may need to change this to ODBI right and get a hondata S300. That sound right? Show me the way fellas. I'm completely new to Hondas. If you're really bored and want to read my start to this site and Hondas check out this thread
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2907985

Otherwise let the info roll and I'll update the thread with progress.

Oh and goals, this car is a toy so learning about turbos, making power and most importantly having fun.

Malcolm

You have a lot of reading and research to do!

Start by searching "ebay turbo kits" and you'll find out very quickly about how crappy and a waste of money they are.

You've bought a car that hasn't even passed inspection yet, and you're already looking on putting the worse turbo kit ever made on it?
You're going down the road to a lot of disappointment.

First.
Get your car past the inspection stage (do I even need to say this...wow!)

Second.
Research and learn.
There's lots on info on here. When you do so, you'll realize that crappy ebay turbo kits are only good for paper weights.

Third.
Do maintenance on your car.
Get the damn thing running right and fix your tranny!
If that turbo kit does hold together, do you think you're broken tranny will?!?

Forth.
Do things once, spend the money, and do it right.
Just because you want a shinny intercooler at the front of your car doesn't mean throwing a bunch of shitty parts on it is going to make it run right.

At the end of the day I think you're not going to listen to this advice, buy that stupid kit, and you'll make a thread on here "my turbo is burning oil"...

...That's enough from me.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes that kit will work just fine, just make sure it has the cast manifold (witch it does). The tubular china mannis suck.

(your going to get alot of people like the last poster that did not even read your last thread and know what your going for..... ignore them, china kits are good starting points. The advice about the trans is legit but im sure you know this and will be taking care of it.)
Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97CWITR
You have a lot of reading and research to do!

Start by searching "ebay turbo kits" and you'll find out very quickly about how crappy and a waste of money they are.

You've bought a car that hasn't even passed inspection yet, and you're already looking on putting the worse turbo kit ever made on it?
You're going down the road to a lot of disappointment.

First.
Get your car past the inspection stage (do I even need to say this...wow!)

Second.
Research and learn.
There's lots on info on here. When you do so, you'll realize that crappy ebay turbo kits are only good for paper weights.

Third.
Do maintenance on your car.
Get the damn thing running right and fix your tranny!
If that turbo kit does hold together, do you think you're broken tranny will?!?

Forth.
Do things once, spend the money, and do it right.
Just because you want a shinny intercooler at the front of your car doesn't mean throwing a bunch of shitty parts on it is going to make it run right.

At the end of the day I think you're not going to listen to this advice, buy that stupid kit, and you'll make a thread on here "my turbo is burning oil"...

...That's enough from me.
x2
Old 03-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to agree everyone on the ebay turbo kit. I personally wouldnt waste my time or money knowing the reviews and feedback on them. I would want to have it done right the first time and have it built reliable as possible, but thats just me. To the OP, it sounds like you're an intelligent guy. As long as you know what you're getting yourself into thats all I care about. If you wanna start our buying the cheap parts knowing already ahead of time that they may not be reliable or perform as well and you're prepared to pay for things at least twice, than thats your prerogative. If you want to paint the car pink and have "hello kitty" written across the hood, then thats your choice. lol Its your car. You can do whatever you like.

by the way, that cast iron manifold has a badly position wastegate port. manifolds that have the wastegate placed on one runner like that have been known to cause problems like boost creep.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hoffmanb16
yes that kit will work just fine, just make sure it has the cast manifold (witch it does). The tubular china mannis suck.

(your going to get alot of people like the last poster that did not even read your last thread and know what your going for..... ignore them, china kits are good starting points. The advice about the trans is legit but im sure you know this and will be taking care of it.)

Don't listen to people like this.
Regardless of whether the manifold is cast, its a horrible design. Was built for one purpose and one purpose only. Cheap to mass produce. It will create boost creep and spikes.

"china kits" are never a "good starting" point. Do it once, do it right, or don't do it. Simple as that. This kit will create headaches, and you'll want to replace everything anyway when you're fed up with it.

Im sure this guy has never had a turbo car in his life.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Guys, well for those that say the ebay kit sucks do you have any alternatives? any links to kits or anything? I'm ready to buy now and I'm here to learn so by all means show me what's out there for a reasonable amount.

Remember this car is a toy project of mine. Ebay turbo is $600 so I probably won't opt for a $5000 good kit. I'm not after best possible quality and reliability. This is just a fun project for me. If there are alternatives to the ebay turbo kit that are halfway reasonable I'm all ears.

As for the tranny you're absolutely right that will be fixed. I thought about rebuilding this one but local salvage yard has one for $400 and another has it for $120 but it's in the car and you have to pull it yourself. Might be worth the extra to just stop by load in truck and go home instead of trying to figure this out in the gravel and dirt junk yard with the car propped up on a couple rims turned sideways.

Boost creep because of that manifold placement I did not know. Good pointers there, thanks. Unless I can find a better kit I may have to live with it.

New rims and tires should be on their way from tirerack.com shortly and an alignment coming up in the next few days.

Oh and to the fellow mentioning maintenance, absolutely. I love to tinker with cars, oil changes etc. on this weeks schedule.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go with the ebay kit if u want to save money and blow your engine, resulting in not saving money. u can get whole kits with injectors/fuel pump for your engine for like 2500. just do some research online
Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There arent any REALLY good turbo kits out there for cheap. You're best bet is probably to piece together a kit yourself. I think you'll save a lot of money that way. The ebay intercoolers and charge piping have been used by a lot of guys on here and work fairly well for the price. As for the exhaust manifolds the good quality tubular ones perform better than cast iron ones. You may be able to find one by searching through the classifieds on here. There are a lot of different exhaust manifolds to choose from though. I'm sure some guys on here can point you in the right direction.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK a few pics. The start of the stock Honda as I got it.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you'll need a walbro 255 lph fuel pump and I would recommend some decent injectors. I would atleast go with 440's, nothing smaller. You can find blow off valves and boost controllers out there pretty cheap too.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00siboy
go with the ebay kit if u want to save money and blow your engine, resulting in not saving money. u can get whole kits with injectors/fuel pump for your engine for like 2500. just do some research online
Not to sound stupid but why would an ebay turbo blow the motor? Unexpected spikes in boost? over heating? just trying to get the facts, not saying you are wrong.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get rid of that pin stripe on the driverside! other than that she looks good!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by enemy no1
get rid of that pin stripe on the driverside! other than that she looks good!
Yup that's on the list. Original owner's boyfriend removed passenger's side only and then got lazy and left driver's side so I'll get that one off.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a ebay turbo kit that came with a gt50 garett turbo at 20 pounds im pushing 440 to the wheels so do what u want i had no problems
Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can also find the oil feed & return line kits on ebay cheap.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The spark plugs you will want to are ngk bk7re. I can only think of a little bit at a time because I'm at work right now lol.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
Not to sound stupid but why would an ebay turbo blow the motor? Unexpected spikes in boost? over heating? just trying to get the facts, not saying you are wrong.
Not saying that it is guaranteed, just make sure you have the right setup. Boost creep and spiking results from not having the right waste gate or BOV for the system. For example, you'll get boost creep if your waste gate hole is too small and not enough air is bypassing the housing, or spiking if your actuator is too slow to fill with compressed air.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00siboy
ya cuz ebay kits just randomly blow up engines... sure.... ok then. (that is total bullshit)

lots of people buy ebay kits to start off and upgrade as they go. Honda tech is full of wanna be ballers that think if your not spending top dollar items then your running trash.

It's just not true.... OP if you really care about "fitting in" around here your going to spend a MINT.

It makes a no sense to me to spend 5k on a turbo kit for a 2500 dollar car.

He wants a fun affordable toy, he already has a high HP mustang so he is not building a monster just a fun car.

Lots of people run ebay turbo kits with great sucess but they just don't post on here because they get flamed by "hardcores".... I could care less what people think/say.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya cuz ebay kits just randomly blow up engines... sure.... ok then. (that is total bullshit)

lots of people buy ebay kits to start off and upgrade as they go. Honda tech is full of wanna be ballers that think if your not spending top dollar items then your running trash.

It's just not true.... OP if you really care about "fitting in" around here your going to spend a MINT.

It makes a no sense to me to spend 5k on a turbo kit for a 2500 dollar car.

He wants a fun affordable toy, he already has a high HP mustang so he is not building a monster just a fun car.

Lots of people run ebay turbo kits with great sucess but they just don't post on here because they get flamed by "hardcores".... I could care less what people think/say.
Wow...you sure set me straight.
First of all I never told him that every ebay kit in the world sucks and to spend as much money as possible on a full race kit. I just told him to make sure its a good kit, and to get the right parts as to not cause him trouble right after he installs it. JEESH!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mmmmm k SI boy.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mmmmm k SI boy.
have u even read all the posts on this thread?

Quick Reply: 98 Civic coupe turbo build thread